Author Topic: Black Wedding Gowns From the Runway to the Aisle  (Read 32098 times)

nolechica

• Super Hero!
Re: Black Wedding Gowns From the Runway to the Aisle
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2012, 04:55:33 AM »
I love that black is now being shown for weddings, so much more practical than most gowns.
That was one of the reasons that white wedding gowns became popular -- BECAUSE they were impractical.  The growing middle class saw white gowns as the way to say "WE can afford to give our daughter an expensive, impractical gown that she will wear for only ONE DAY.  None of this 'best dress' that she might wear any Sunday to church. She is too special for that."

I know the history and that ridiculous reasoning for white being the in color is precisely why I'll never get married in it. ;-)

SoCalVal

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2012, 03:24:37 PM »
I need to do some searching to confirm this, but it's my understanding that other cultures use white for mourning and other colors for wedding. Assuming Vera Wang designs for the world - and not just the Unites States - I fail to see how black wedding dresses are for the bride that does not care about etiquette.

Also, how on earth is the color of the dress tied to etiquette? IIRC, white wedding dresses became fashionable about 100 years ago.

I'm being too lazy to read the rest of the thread to see if this had been answered so I apologize if I repeat info.  However, when I was researching wedding dresses a couple of years ago, I read somewhere that white wedding dresses became the norm after a queen (I think it was Queen Victoria) wore one.  It came to represent that a bride had enough money that she could afford to wear a dress that would only be used once.  It stuck in my head because I've been pretty adamant about not wanting a standard wedding dress because I don't believe in spending a bunch of money on something I will only wear once.  My dress will be pale pink and, if it does have a train, the train will be short and part of a "coat" overlay.  I'd wear a pink dress again since a) I like pink and b) pink looks good on me (although I dress mostly in black; leftover from my "goth" days in high school).  I don't think I'd ever wear a white dress more than once, and white is hideous on me (and I'd forever look at it thinking what a big waste of money that was).

Oddly enough, in my research, I discovered that my desire for a pink wedding gown is not unique and that more and more brides are opting for colors other than white or ivory -- colors, period.

Anyway, I agree that the writer needs to learn the meaning of words because I don't see at all how the color of a dress is tied to etiquette or even indicative of whether or not the bride is exhibiting proper etiquette.

Cami

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
I need to do some searching to confirm this, but it's my understanding that other cultures use white for mourning and other colors for wedding. Assuming Vera Wang designs for the world - and not just the Unites States - I fail to see how black wedding dresses are for the bride that does not care about etiquette.

Also, how on earth is the color of the dress tied to etiquette? IIRC, white wedding dresses became fashionable about 100 years ago.

I'm being too lazy to read the rest of the thread to see if this had been answered so I apologize if I repeat info.  However, when I was researching wedding dresses a couple of years ago, I read somewhere that white wedding dresses became the norm after a queen (I think it was Queen Victoria) wore one.  It came to represent that a bride had enough money that she could afford to wear a dress that would only be used once.

As a former women's historian, I can confirm that it was Queen Victoria's wedding gown that set the NEW standard for gowns.  However, it did not happen overnight. Historically and for a long time after QV, the standard for a bridal gown was to wear THE most fashionable outfit you could afford. If fashion dictated that pale blue was THE color that year, brides wore pale blue. If colorful brocades were THE hot look that year, brides would have worn colorful brocades that year. ETc.

QV married in 1840, but it was only around the 1880s-1900s that a white and highly elaborate gown become common for a wedding outfit and even then, the use was largely limited to those in the  middle and upper classes. Rural and working class women were much more likely to buy a new "best dress" to wear for the first time on their wedding day with the intent that they would then wear it on "best dress" occasions for as long as possible thereafter. I read in Lady's Godey's Book and other local women's magazines many articles about appropriate wedding wear and the editors most often recommended dark colors and patterns (including plaid) as they would "wear better" in the long-term.

So it wasn't really until the 1880s that we start to see a lot of white wedding gowns. And even then, there were cultural variations in this country. I have a lot of pictures in my vintage wedding photo collection of German-American and Czech-American brides in black or dark colored gowns (their bridal state is indicated by the veil and trail of flowers down the sides of their heads). In the 1920s, white was the most common color, but it was the flapper style. In the 1930s, white often (but not always) took a backseat to more practical colors -- it really depended upon your financial status. It was really only in the post-WWII era, that the so-called "traditional" big white dress worn only once (and put away) became the norm. So it's not really traditional at all!

To sum up: Wear what you want!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:15:58 AM by Cami »

Lexophile

« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »

I'm being too lazy to read the rest of the thread to see if this had been answered so I apologize if I repeat info.  However, when I was researching wedding dresses a couple of years ago, I read somewhere that white wedding dresses became the norm after a queen (I think it was Queen Victoria) wore one.  It came to represent that a bride had enough money that she could afford to wear a dress that would only be used once.

As a former women's historian, I can confirm that it was Queen Victoria's wedding gown that set the NEW standard for gowns.  However, it did not happen overnight. Historically and for a long time after QV, the standard for a bridal gown was to wear THE most fashionable outfit you could afford. If fashion dictated that pale blue was THE color that year, brides wore pale blue. If colorful brocades were THE hot look that year, brides would have worn colorful brocades that year. ETc.

QV married in 1840, but it was only around the 1880s-1900s that a white and highly elaborate gown become common for a wedding outfit and even then, the use was largely limited to those in the  middle and upper classes. Rural and working class women were much more likely to buy a new "best dress" to wear for the first time on their wedding day with the intent that they would then wear it on "best dress" occasions for as long as possible thereafter. I read in Lady's Godey's Book and other local women's magazines many articles about appropriate wedding wear and the editors most often recommended dark colors and patterns (including plaid) as they would "wear better" in the long-term.

So it wasn't really until the 1880s that we start to see a lot of white wedding gowns. And even then, there were cultural variations in this country. I have a lot of pictures in my vintage wedding photo collection of German-American and Czech-American brides in black or dark colored gowns (their bridal state is indicated by the veil and trail of flowers down the sides of their heads). In the 1920s, white was the most common color, but it was the flapper style. In the 1930s, white often (but not always) took a backseat to more practical colors -- it really depended upon your financial status. It was really only in the post-WWII era, that the so-called "traditional" big white dress worn only once (and put away) became the norm. So it's not really traditional at all!

To sum up: Wear what you want!

Mary Queen of Scots wore a white wedding dress in her second wedding specifically because it was considered a color of mourning. She was mourning the death of her first husband, the Dauphin of France.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

CLE_Girl

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »
Vera Wang does it again - her current wedding runway is all...RED.

http://www.bridalguide.com/blogs/fashion-beauty/vera-wang-red-wedding-dresses

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2012, 01:44:32 PM »
Vera Wang does it again - her current wedding runway is all...RED.

http://www.bridalguide.com/blogs/fashion-beauty/vera-wang-red-wedding-dresses

Those are pretty, but they're pretty common looking.  To me, they just look like ball gowns.  There's something about a white dress that says "bridal" to me.  Those dresses don't look bridal.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »
I love it!  I have a red wedding dress (ball gown style) being made for me as I type.  I'm such a trend setter  :)

NestHolder

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »
I love the idea of non-white wedding dresses, of something that can be used again.  Not that I did that myself - I wore a rented dress, so I didn't have it hanging about in the wardrobe for ages being silently reproachful.  My sister's magnificent dress lived in my house for a while, but - well, even if you don't put on weight after the wedding, what exactly do you *do* with a wedding dress?

If I had to do it now, I'd get something fabulous involving a really beautiful custom-fitted corset, and sign up for all the swanky balls I could find!

That said, I didn't think either the black or the red Vera Wang dresses were particularly special. 

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »
Laura Ingalls Wilder got married in a black dress and that turned out pretty well.

Her reasoning was, as I recall, she wanted to get married before Almanzo's mother and  sister showed up and took over the proceedings.  She already owned a black dress.

Some things never change. 8)

MyFamily

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2012, 07:27:41 PM »
I liked the black dresses and I've seen some beautiful red dresses and dresses in other colors that I really liked, but those dresses just didn't do it for me.  But i'm not sure if it was the dresses or the models.  To me, a woman wearing a wedding dress should look happy and they just didn't do that; and what was up with their hair?  I know this is the look that the fashionistas do for modeling, but it just didn't work for me.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Girlie

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
My style, and my taste certainly tend towards white bridal gowns. Mine was ivory satin and chiffon, so I can honestly say I'm pretty traditional.

That being said, a dress is a dress, and the important thing is that the bride feels confident in her choice. As long as she's happy in her outfit of choice, to each their own, and who cares?

merryns

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2012, 12:59:21 AM »
I went shopping for my wedding dress today. Unless I change my mind by Monday, I'll be ordering a 'bridesmaid' dress in 'berry'.

chicajojobe

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2012, 12:45:28 PM »
I'm a total non-traditionalist. I love the idea of colored wedding dresses and I don't see why black should be any different than green or blue or red.
Yes black is for funerals in Western tradition so it's associated with sadness and death, but in many Eastern cultures white is actually the color for funerals because it's associated with death.

The wedding dress is meant to make the bride feel and look beautiful in a special gown she'd never wear to any other event. So the bride's opinion is the one that matters on the issue.

Also, some of the black wedding dresses I've seen from designers are freaking gorgeous!

I think the person who is wrong in this is the author of the article because he/she was mistaken in saying 'the bride who choses black does not care about etiquette' when what he/she meant to say was 'the bride who choses black does not care about tradition and in fact probably enjoys defying it'
Etiquette is not about wearing the color wedding dress that is expected. It's about making your guests feel comfortable and appreciated at your wedding.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:48:21 PM by chicajojobe »

Herim

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2012, 06:54:47 AM »
I like the white dress for wedding and I really love the types of dresses shown there at ABC and I have bought last year for my sister and it was discounted from  http://www.ezcouponsearch.com/ABC-Distributing-Coupons_cm_5796.aspx but people tend to act differently on these occasions because they come on rare basis so we have to leave the choice on other persons.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2012, 05:05:32 PM »
White is not necessarily an impractical colour. A historical reenactor explained to me that sailors' uniforms were white, because they could be heavily bleached when dirty, without worrying about fading. Other colours would, after a few cleanings look too washed out.

Not likely to apply to a wedding dress, though.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."