Author Topic: 50/50 raffle etiquette  (Read 11123 times)

Betelnut

Re: 50/50 raffle etiquette
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 10:31:16 AM »
I would totally keep the money.  Giving it to the charity wouldn't even cross my mind.  I gave by purchasing a ticket.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
i would probably keep the money and i certainly wouldn't *expect* the winner to donate it back. what's the point of having a raffle if all you really wanted was that everyone donates? if potential donors know that, in addition to the joy of donating to X cause, there is a slight chance that they could win Y$, that probably is a motivating factor in their donating.

I once worked for a residential high school many eons ago. the custom was that the 12th graders did a bingo night and the money raised went to their end-of-the-year party. the prizes were mostly donated by staffers and suppliers working with the school - mostly things like socks, scarves, school supplies, with a few *big* prizes like a radio, fan, etc. the "norm" was that if a staff member won something, they were "supposed" to give it back to the pool and let someone else win. however, most of the younger/new staff members were students and struggling financially and didn't want to give it back so one year some brave soul kept the prize. after a few  :o , that became the new norm...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »
Is this a fairly regular 50/50 draw - such as monthly at a workplace, or at a community meeting?  Has this been a precedent - that the winner automatically donates her "winnings" back?  If it seems to be expected then I agree with PPs - it really isn't a raffle at all and everyone might as well make a straight charity-donation.

Nope - this is the first time I've seen a raffle like this here (my place of work) so there isn't any precedent.

I'm glad I asked the question because the responses have been very educational, so thanks everyone! I'd never even considered the tax aspect, which a couple of folks brought up.

The drawing is late this afternoon and of course, I may never find out what the winner does with the money, but it will be interesting to get a feel for what people's expectations are here.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Poppea

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 12:58:20 PM »
It would really depend on my involvement with the group.  If I was on the committee that organized the raffle or otherwise very involved, I would donate some or all of the winnings back.  If I was simply a member of the organization, I might donate some of it back.

If my friend sold me a ticket to her kids school raffle, then no, I'd keep it all.  If it was a very worthy charity that I was not affiliated with and it was a $10 ticket, it give it back.  If it was a $100, maybe give some back.

Smitty

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 01:08:45 PM »
50/50 draws are common & popular in my area, and I've never seen anyone donate the winnings. Charities can make a lot of cash for little administrative work (no need to issue donation receipts, for example) with these draws, so expecting the winner to give it all back seems both greedy and counter-productive.

I often buy 50/50 tickets for a draw from charities I might not otherwise support (nothing against them, they are just not on my regular donation list) specifically because I want to win and keep the money! If I was expected to hand over the winnings I wouldn't buy a ticket in the first place.

TheBrass

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »
50/50 draws are a pretty common occurrence in my life as a baseball coach's wife.

If we are at our home park, I would donate the winnings to the team, since my husband gets paid for coaching the kids, and I wouldn't feel good about taking more money out of their resources.

If we are at an away park I would keep the money, or possibly donate it to our own program.

Any other draw, it would depend on the time and circumstances, but I think for the most part that the expectation that someone donate their prize is very presumptuous.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »
It would really depend on my involvement with the group.  If I was on the committee that organized the raffle or otherwise very involved, I would donate some or all of the winnings back.

Yeah, I can see the argument if you're essentially on the "staff" running the raffle.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 03:23:27 PM »
  I think there is some tradition(tradition not etiquette) that you donate the money to the charity BUT only if you are a member/fundraiser of the charity IE If you buy a ticket from you neighbor's church's 50/50 raffle that you neither attend or belong to you keep the 50%. If you are the person selling tickets because that is your job for the fundraiser then you donate it.   One more BUT ...but you still don't have to.

I do think depending on the organisation you may be thought less of and more so if it's a really sympathetic the worse you look.  A raffle to buy a family a wheelchair ramp and van is not the same as an office raffle to fund booze for the holiday party. It also matters if you "must be present to win"/just happend to be present........."here you little Timmy $300 check that will sure help your family with the $30,000 they need for medical bills and your accessible van only 100 more raffles and you can go to school again." "OH and here Bob here's your check for $300, you enjoy that ok'

magician5

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »
If the winner kept the car that was the raffle's prize? If they used the cruise or whatever else was the prize?

The prize is the inducement for everyone to buy chances. Otherwise, people could just donate to the charity.

Of course, a round of drinks for the crowd would be nice.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 12:34:50 AM »
The drawing for the raffle winner was postponed until Friday. If I find out what happens, I'll update here.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 12:59:11 AM »
If I was pressured into donating my raffle winnings, I'd be sorely tempted to say, "So if I give back this money, then what exactly did I win?"  It's not really a prize if you're goaded into giving it back, is it?

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 03:04:58 AM »
They announced the winner this afternoon and it isn't someone I know well enough to find out what will happen to the winnings. The e-mail announcement was encouraging, however, as it clearly stated that $xx would go to charity and $xx to the raffle winner, then advised the winner to come pick up her winnings. No pressure to donate said winnings at all (at least in the e-mail).
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Jloreli

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 08:59:17 AM »
I've done two 50/50's at the fundraiser I put on for my non-profit employer. The first year the winner graciously donated back their winnings. We were thrilled but in no way expected it. The next year the winner didn't donate it back but his wife appropriated his winnings and spent it all at our silent auction. LOL So we ended up with the money anyway. The only thing we expect from our winners is that they accept our congratulations for winning!

I've won a couple of 50/50s. When you work in the non-profit world you are always buying tickets for something from the same people you were selling tickets too last week. Sometimes I think we could all save a ton of time if we just tossed all the money we can afford to donate into a pot and splitting it up. LOL Back OT....most of the time I donate it back as it was relatively small amounts for a cause that I knew $30-$50 would be a "big deal" towards their fund raising. I've kept it a couple of times as well. I generally do feel some internal pressure to donate my winnings but in most cases the pressure is all from myself. In the few instances I've felt pressure from those selling the tickets to donate my winnings....well I don't buy tickets from them anymore.