Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Tofu, anyone?

(1/4) > >>

aline:
I'm starting to add tofu into my diet in place of (as much) meat. So far, I really only know how to use it in stir-frys and soups. I'd love to have any tried and true recipes that y'all wouldn't mind sharing, as well as any cooking and preparation tips you might have. I'm pretty experimental with foods and flavors, so all ideas are welcome. :)

ITSJUSTME:
If you like ground beef but want to cut it out you can use TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein, soy protein, looks like dry stuffing crumbs) in chili, spaghetti sauce or anywhere you would use ground beef.  Directions sometimes say to soak in water but if it will simmer in the dish, like chili or sauce, I don't soak it first - I think it looks and tastes better.  Very high in protein.

I like firm tofu that has been marinated in teriyaki sauce and grilled or broiled.  You can also crumble tofu and "scramble" it with diced onion, peppers and tomatoes, like a Western Omelet.

blarg314:

Try Chinese cookbooks, the more authentic the better - there are a lot of tofu dishes that go well beyond stir fries; baked, stewed, fried. 

Has anyone else had stinky tofu (aka chou dofu)?  It's a fermented tofu which is then either steamed or fried with cabbage.  It tastes good, but smells like a sewer problem from a block away.

cicero:
i don't eat tofu - can't stand the stuff, and thankfully *it* doesn't like me.

be careful you don't add too much of it to your diet all at once.

anyway, my sister roasts it - she claims its delicious:

you need to squeeze out all the liquid. slice into slices. then marinate it in bbq sauce or teriyaki, or just soy sauce, then drain and put in one layer in a roasting pan and roast /broil.

aline:
Thanks for all of the ideas! I think I'm going to try roasting it first - that sounds really good.

Vegweb.com looks like an excellent source as well. I'll have to do some browsing.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version