Author Topic: Tuna Steaks?  (Read 1205 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Tuna Steaks?
« on: July 23, 2007, 03:33:51 PM »
A friend caught a very large tuna (116 lbs) and she's giving away a lot of the meat ... Any suggestions on cooking the steaks?

ITSJUSTME

Re: Tuna Steaks?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 03:50:52 PM »
They should be delicious grilled with a mango salsa (diced mango, onion, lime juice and cilantro).

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 05:28:11 AM »
you can grill them (just a little on each side) and eat them hot. you can marinate the leftovers in homemade vinaigrette (olive oil, lemon juice/vinegar, salt, pepper, pinch of sugar, garlic) and some chopped fresh herbs and then use it for cold salads (think nicoise). yum

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 07:44:03 AM »
A friend caught a very large tuna (116 lbs) and she's giving away a lot of the meat ... Any suggestions on cooking the steaks?

Teriyaki. 1tbsp soy, 1tbsp rice wine vinegar, 1tsp sugar, 1 inch ginger, chopped. Mix together and marinate for two or more hours. I like to get at least eight hours of marination. I grill the whole steaks.

You can make meat balls with tuna. Jamie Oliver has a great recipe in his Italian book. If you're interested I can type it in but it's just mixing the tuna meat in the same way as you would beef.

Psykogrl

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 02:48:34 PM »
You can marinate tuna in anything you like... you pretty much treat it like meat or chicken... My only suggestion is don't cook it until its completely done!!

Tuna is like red meat in that it can be eaten med rare with no health issues... So please... Don't make a chef cry and cook the red out of your tuna ;)

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 02:52:30 PM »
make a teriyaki marinade, then crust the outer edges with sesame seeds, grill just a few minutes on each side-think red but warmed through. Let sit, then eat!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 02:53:58 PM »
I made them for the 1st time this weekend while camping. All i did was put it in some tin foil (just to keep it from sticking to the grill) with some seasoned salt and pepper, squeezed a lemon over it and cooked it about 6 minutes on each side, about 3 inches above medium heat. Mine ended up being done a little bit too well, and as psykogirl said, you don't want to do that.

I've also had it done wonderfully medium rare served with ginger and wasabi; but i am not sure how. That was the best tuna steak i ever had, though.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Psykogrl

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 04:20:43 PM »
oooh for a ginger wasabi one, you can puree the ginger in a foodprocessor, add a little wasabi powder, soy sauce and garlic sound like it would go good too... Then chill it so it makes more of a paste than a marinade. Rub it into the steaks LIGHTLY (you don't want a ton on them or it will just burn when you cook them) and let them sit for a while to absorb the flavors.. i would then pan sear or grill them until they were done the way you like. Ooooooh i need to find a good fishmarket around here  ::)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 04:26:42 PM »
Thanks for the recipes everyone!  I learned today she caught a 60 lb tuna in addition to the other  :o

Psykogrl

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 04:33:38 PM »
Thanks for the recipes everyone!  I learned today she caught a 60 lb tuna in addition to the other  :o

:o I need to meet your friends!!!  Mine are lucky to catch some seaweed when we go fishing  :P

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 05:29:40 PM »
I make it blackened style with a dry spicy rub and saute till crispy on high heat.

Another thing great about tuna is making homeade version of the canned/tinned.  Simmer the tuna in fish or vegetable broth till cooked through.  Shred it and use it in your favorite recipe that calls for canned/tinned tuna.