Author Topic: polenta??  (Read 1636 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
polenta??
« on: July 10, 2007, 01:32:22 PM »
ok, this is my latest adventure in the kitchen ;D

does anyone have a recipe for polenta - either a casserole or those polenta triangles that you use as a base for food. i need this for a party

here is what i need:
1. something that can be fully made in advance. i live about an hour away from where the party is, and i will probably have to make it a day ahead, heat it up before i leave the house.

2. it has to be kosher and dairy - so that means: no meat/chicken/turkey/seafood.

3. i would like it to be elegant. i have seen thingson the internet - like little circles with a cherry tomato half and cheese.

4. i have to make it from scratch - they don't have the readymade polenta here.

ideas?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Re: polenta??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 01:35:25 PM »
4. i have to make it from scratch - they don't have the readymade polenta here.

Thank your lucky stars - that stuff is foul, and this is coming from a woman who will eat everything from Haute Cuisine to McDonalds and want seconds.

I am a big bundle of negativity about polenta, so here is a cartoon and I will let someone with a good attitude give you a recipe : http://www.glenbaxter.com/images/newyork/polenta.jpg

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 01:45:37 PM »
I am a big bundle of negativity about polenta, so here is a cartoon and I will let someone with a good attitude give you a recipe : http://www.glenbaxter.com/images/newyork/polenta.jpg

Me too! Good cartoon.  I just don't 'get' polenta.

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 04:06:35 PM »
This is my favorite recipe for polenta. The red pepper coulis makes it look a little more attractive than it would plain, and it's very easy to prepare. Since you are planning to travel with it, I recommend making the entire thing the day before and storing it in the fridge overnight. Take it out of the fridge 30 minutes to an hour prior to leaving. That amount of time, plus the drive time should be enough to warm it back up to room temperature. I don't recommend reheating it before leaving - polenta does not always reheat well.

Creamy polenta with roasted red pepper coulis

Ingredients

1 red bell pepper, roasted and seeded
1 garlic clove
1 3/4 cups water
1 3/4 cups plain soy milk or 1 percent low-fat milk
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup polenta, preferably stone-ground
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped thyme

Directions

In a blender or food processor, combine the roasted pepper, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the water. Process until smooth; set the coulis aside.

Preheat the oven to 450 F. Lightly coat a 9-inch round cake pan with olive oil cooking spray.

In a large saucepan, combine the soy milk, remaining water, olive oil and salt. Whisk in the polenta and place over medium heat. Whisk constantly until the polenta begins to thicken. Reduce the heat to low and resume stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring frequently, until the polenta pulls away from the sides of the pan, about 15 minutes. Add the coulis and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until firm, about 15 minutes. Let stand in the pan for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 6 wedges and sprinkle with the thyme.

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 08:14:21 PM »
Polenta is wonderful!  Fun, easy, and yummy...  but not quick.

Basic Polenta can be made by following the instructions on the package.  Yes, they really mean 30 minutes of stirring.  The trick is what you do once it's cooked. 

Before starting your polenta, shred up about a pound of cheese (jack or mozzarella work really well).  When the polenta is done, turn off the burner and immediately stir in the cheese and a couple tablespoons of butter.  Throw in a handful of shredded (not ground) parmesan.  Keep stirring until the cheese melts.  Turn the mixture out into a buttered casserole dish and chill.  When it's cooled you can easily slice it into any shape you want--use a cookie cutter to get unusual shapes, or just cut it into squares or triangles in the pan.

Serve your best veggie marinara sauce over the wedges--preferably one with big chunks of veggies like mushrooms and zucchini--and you're golden.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 11:28:20 AM »
thanks for the help.

Me too! Good cartoon.  I just don't 'get' polenta.
cute cartoon!!

I will try something like the squares and let you all know!

SMP12

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 09:13:31 PM »
My grandma makes the most amazing "polenta lasagna" on this earth!

She pours the hot polenta into a large rectangular Pyrex dish, lets it cool and become more firm in the refrigerator, then slices in half horizontally.

She uses one piece for the bottom and one for the middle.  In between and on top she uses Italian stewed tomatoes, garlic, onion, mushrooms, roasted peppers, spinach, and sometimes other things if she feels in the mood - all these ingredients get sauteed in a pan before constructing the "lasagna".  Top with parmesan and/or mozzarella- YUM!

Throw it in the oven before serving  :)

Don't know if this is the most elegant recipe out there but is sure is fantastic!

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 02:43:53 PM »

I'm not the OP, but I think that recipe sounds wonderful. Think I'm going to have to try it myself.  ;D

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 09:41:55 AM »

I'm not the OP, but I think that recipe sounds wonderful. Think I'm going to have to try it myself.  ;D
It does sound wonderful.  I wish I made polenta, but I don't.  It's just too much trouble.  There is instant polenta.  I wonder how it would work.  Those polenta rolls are pretty bad.  Wonder why. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 11:33:02 AM »
well, this was the first time that i attempted it, and i really liked it. it's so creamy and comforting, and because it's neutral, it can be matched up with anything. my next attempt will be to make those triangles. i think tath would be a nice thing to bring to a party.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 12:36:27 PM »
thanks everyone!! the party was last night and it was a hit. I made the polenta in squares, topped it with caramlized onions, squash and cherry tomato halves and then sprinkled with cheese. yummy!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 11:48:56 AM »
I got some polenta in a roll (a roll of polenta) the other day.  It's Pepper and cilantro flavor.  It actually is pretty good. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.