Author Topic: I Need A Vegetarian or a Vegan QUICK!!  (Read 872 times)

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
I Need A Vegetarian or a Vegan QUICK!!
« on: July 24, 2007, 12:03:54 AM »
I'm using a ground TVP sausage (flavored) in a casserole. It has to be browned first.
Can I just brown it in a pan sprayed with Pam like I would do regular ground meat? Is there something else I need to do to be sure it's the right consistency (like ground meat)?
I'm learning to use TVP in place of ground beef or sausage in casseroles and I've never used the kind that comes "raw" in the tube.
Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: I Need A Vegetarian or a Vegan QUICK!!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:00:55 PM »
If you google Textured Vegetable Protein+recipes you'll come up with quite a few sites that have recipes.  I looked at one and it said to soak it first.   We used it many years ago but I don't favor it unless it has been improved.   I think Textured Vegetabel Protein is an actual tradmark brand.  Is that what you're using?  I can't recall the name of the one we used, but I think it was in what looked like a milk carton. 
There is a network (3ABN) that has cooking programs.  I like watching them and the recipes look good.  I'm thinking about getting one of their books. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.