Author Topic: Easy to take meal idea  (Read 2419 times)

mumma to KMC

Easy to take meal idea
« on: January 02, 2007, 12:46:43 PM »
Help. A friend of mine from church just had another little baby (Dec 15th). We have been trying to get together for months but our schedules have not matched up. Alas, I offered to bring her dinner after her baby was born  and she invited dh, ds and I to stay and eat with them. This is great as we are able to sit and chat insofar as the babies will allow us.

So does anyone have any ideas of what to make? There are no food allergies but her other children don't like pizza. (I know, I wondered about that too :) ) I plan on making a salad and probably doing cup cakes for dessert...any ideas for the main course? I will be making it here and taking it to their house.

Thanks!

hkkatie

Re: Easy to take meal idea
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 09:30:10 PM »
a casserole or some kind of pasta? for the pasta, you could do the bow tie pasta w/ white sauce, cubed chicken and small pieces of broccoli or peas. Or a lasagna, or something like that. Maybe also take some french bread to go with it?

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 09:32:19 PM »
I usually do a lasanga with salad and garlic bread.  All of it (okay, not the salad  ;D ) can be frozen, too.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 09:42:52 PM »
Frozen salad, ick. Double ick.

Thanks for the ideas! I will add them to my list. I also came up with meatloaf and potatoes as an alternative to pasta. When ds was born, we were given lots of food. We were overwhelmed by the generosity of people we barely knew, however, lasagna loses its specialness when you eat it twice a week for three weeks. :)

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 10:07:57 PM »
ROFLOL!  We usually coordinate meals for families and, being Sicilian, I'm the one asked to provide the lasagna dish :)

ccnumber4

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 10:14:39 PM »
I, too, would probably go with a pasta dish.  I can usually throw something good together using the ingredients I already have in my kitchen.  Pasta is especially good if you would like her to have leftovers to reheat.  Check with her about red sauce, I guess, since the kids don't like pizza.  (!) The cupcakes are a great idea. 

Betsy

• Just a little crazy
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 02:32:46 PM »
Chicken Tettrazini, garlic bread, salad and the cupcakes you already mentioned.

Ill post my recipe for the Chicken Tettrazini tonight. My mom makes it to take to every shut-in, sick person, wake, etc and everyone loves it. Its easy to bake beforehand and then freeze/refrigerate and reheat b/4 eating. Its a white sauce so no worries about the kids not liking red sauce.

Pixie

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 08:48:27 PM »
How about an old fashioned chicken pot pie?  Home made of course. 

Spaghetti and meatballs?

Swiss steak and mashed potatoes?

Pork chops with either scalped potatoes or stuffing?

Pot Roast with potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions.... all done in one pot or cake pan?  If  you could take along a loaf of fresh baked bread, it would be heaven.

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 08:56:20 PM »
At this time of year, soups are nice.  Easy to freeze if not needed the day you bring them, or to just rewarm them through.  Cool the soup and put it in a freezer bag so there's no returning a dish.  Some cheese bread or cheese stix, a little salad, something sweet -- yummy!

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 01:21:44 AM »
I see some of my ideas have already been suggested.  So I just wanted to let you all know I'm ravenously hungry now, for all of the above...at 10:21pm, when I can't get to a store.  THANKS bunches!  ;)