Author Topic: Tagging ex-members  (Read 5942 times)

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
Tagging ex-members
« on: October 26, 2011, 09:43:17 PM »
Would it be possible to put a comment under the name of posters who are no longer active on the forum for whatever reason, as an "Ex-member"?

Reasons I think it would be useful;
When posting for updates for posts and the member is no longer active but it is hard to tell as their profile still shows them logging in.
I think it may help stop speculation.
I actually find myself worrying when a constant poster stops posting, to find out that they have left the board adds some conclusion (and stops me thinking about it).

Phoebe

Re: Tagging ex-members
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
I like this idea, or something similar.  I'm a very, um...experienced worrier...it would give some semblance of closure. 

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 09:23:29 AM »
I agree. I also tend to get worried when I see someone who has stopped posting for a while. If we know someone has left the forum or perhaps been banned, I think it would stop people worrying and also help to end speculation. Closure is good, y'know?  :)
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

Teenyweeny

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 09:33:13 AM »
I too would like to see if someone has been banned. I don't necessarily expect the reason to be aired, but I do want to know if they won't be allowed back.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »
I think it could be helpful for people who are banned. It's harder if it's just someone who no longer posts. TrishLovesDolphins used to post all the time. I thought she had left, but apparently she's still lurking, and she posted yesterday. I'm not sure how you would classify that.

Might be cool to have a way for people to put themselves on "leave". Like a vacation notice for your email.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »
The tag would be nice for any member who has closed their account, voluntarily or involuntarily.  I don't care to know the reason for the account closing.

I do like the idea of an 'Out of Office' line for extended leaves. 
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 10:58:56 AM »
If it can be done in a quiet way I'd appreciate it, too. There have been some people who've said they were leaving but many others who just seem to disappear. I admit I've worried about a few who were really active and then just... gone. I'd like to think they won the lottery, bought an island without Internet access and lived happily ever after but that seems a little unlikely  ;).

CakeBeret

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »
The tag would be nice for any member who has closed their account, voluntarily or involuntarily.  I don't care to know the reason for the account closing.

I do like the idea of an 'Out of Office' line for extended leaves. 

I think this is perfect. We don't necessarily need to know if someone's been banned, but knowing if someone's account is closed for some reason could be very helpful. I could see someone being banned or gagged mid-thread and other posters keep trying to continue the discussion, not knowing that s/he is gone. The "out of office" idea sounds really good too, for someone who's either gagged or just decided to take a break. And maybe even a notice on someone's profile that that person hasn't logged in for 90 days or more, if they simply stop posting.

I think it would also cut down on the "Where's X Poster?" threads and speculations.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:36:17 AM »
I too would like to see if someone has been banned. I don't necessarily expect the reason to be aired, but I do want to know if they won't be allowed back.

POD. We don't need to know the reason, but just knowing that someone is gone and won't be back would be nice. Maybe it could be a thread in this folder with a list of people who are gone and just a brief "explanation-" something like "X- voluntarily closed account" or "Y- banned." It could even be a locked thread so that only mods can post in it, to cut down on speculation and questions.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

i am le tired

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 12:50:42 PM »
There's not really a way to voluntarily close your account. You can, but the account doesn't ever get deleted. I tried, and was gone for a year and a half. But when I came back my account was still here.

I agree that there should be some way to close accounts and indicate that they are closed.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »
I don't think this is possible.  And that isn't a TWBP brush-off; I just don't think it'll work.

Ehell is a big place and people come and go.  That's standard operations in a large Internet forum.  I'd encourage people who want to take connections further to get in touch with people off the forum - pm, email, and so on.

So if there's someone whose posts you enjoy reading and whom you feel a connection with, make a connection!  Send a pm and go from there.  You might make a new friend.  :D

In light of what's been happening, it's important to note that being friends off-site is not at all a bad thing.  Plenty of members stay in touch outside of Ehell, via the various meetups, social networking, email and so on.  We have a few family units around who stay in touch via genetics.   ;)  The recent difficulties were due to deliberate attempts to disrupt the forum, ostracize certain people who were deemed "unworthy" of participating here, and actively lying about it to deceive both the mods and members.  This is not "being friends".