Author Topic: Lemon and/or chocolate mousse  (Read 1094 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Lemon and/or chocolate mousse
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »
Greetings, all.

I've been searching for the perfect lemon mousse recipe for what seems like forever. I got the one below from the Observer and made it quite successfully for NYE but it's quite heavy and creamy for a mousse. I'd really like to be able to make one that was lighter and zestier. Does anyone have a good recipe they can share with me?

I'm also after a milk chocolate mousse recipe as chocolate pots are a little rich.

Many thanks!

serves 8
3 eggs, separated
zest and juice of two lemons (80ml)
200g caster sugar
1 sachet gelatine
500ml double or whipping cream
few drops of vanilla essence

Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale and fluffy. Whisk in the lemon juice and then the zest. Dissolve the gelatine in two tablespoons of water. When cool, mix the gelatine into the mixture slowly with the vanilla essence. In a bowl whisk the egg whites. In a separate bowl whisk the cream. Fold the cream into the lemon mix and then the egg whites. Pour into a dish and chill in the refrigerator for several hours.

ImperfctMe

Re: Lemon and/or chocolate mousse
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:22:51 PM »
Well, the recipe I have might be even heavier since it has butter in it as well, but here 'tis (in U.S. measurements, sorry):

2 TB water
1 tsp plain gelatin
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 TB grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt
6 large egg yolks
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

1. Pour the water into a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the water, and let stand about 10 mins, or until softened. Place the bowl in a larger bowl of hot water, and stir until the gelatin has dissolved and the liquid is clear.

2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the sugar, zest, lemon juice, and salt. Whisk in the yolks until smooth. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it thickens and leaves a path on the back of a wooden spoon when a finger is drawn across it; do not allow the mixture to boil.

3. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the gelatin mixture, and immediately pour through a strainer into a bowl. Let cool to room temperature, whisking occasionally.

4. Beat the cream with an electric mixer on high speed in a large bowl just until the cream forms stiff peaks. Add the cream to the lemon mixture in 3 batches, gently folding it in with a whisk or a rubber spatula just until blended.

5. Divide the mousse evenly between 4 stemmed glasses. Refridgerate, loosely covered, for at least 2 hrs or up to 2 days, until set and thoroughly chilled. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

From Luscious Lemon Desserts by Lori Longbotham. A must-have cookbook if you like lemons + sugar as much as I do.

kkl123

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:07:16 PM »
Blender chocolate mousse

Note that the original calls for "chocolate chips", which are about like British "plain chocolate".  I'm sure you could swap for chopped milk chocolate, though you may want to boost the flavor with some dutched cocoa.

1 c chocolate chips (6 oz by weight, about 170 grams)
1 egg at room temperature (1.5 oz by weight, about  42 g)
1 tsp vanilla (5 ml) (or 1 Tbsp (15 ml) strong black coffee)

1 c heavy cream, scalded (about 240 ml)

Place first three ingredients in blender, and turn it on to roughly chop the chocolate. 
When the cream comes to a simmer, turn on the blender again and immediately pour a slow drizzle of the hot cream into the running blender.  Continue until all cream is incorporated.   Spoon into small dishes and refrigerate.  Makes 4-6 servings.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 04:51:35 AM »
Thanks for these, I shall have to experiment!