General Etiquette > Etiquette Hell Classics

Classic Guest Story : Ski instructor vs. Clueless Aunt and Uncle

<< < (2/12) > >>

willow08:
I always sort of wondered why Mom didn't stick up for the beleagured guest, myself. Or at least padded her daughter's account with a little extra cash, in anticipation of what uncle and aunt might pull.

lkl492:
Please tell me that the author's mom said SOMETHING in response to the Aunt's complaints!

Oxymoroness:

--- Quote from: willow08 on January 03, 2007, 02:38:52 PM ---I always sort of wondered why Mom didn't stick up for the beleagured guest, myself. Or at least padded her daughter's account with a little extra cash, in anticipation of what uncle and aunt might pull.

--- End quote ---

Her mom very may well have without the poster's knowledge. There were a few times at college when the math didn't add up in my favor, and I knew my parents had access to my bank account.  :)

IndianInlaw:
Gosh, I wonder what color the sky is in their world.

Twik:
Trying to read between the lines here, I wonder if the writer's parents are perceived by Aunt and Uncle as being much wealthier then they, leading them to assume that "Of course, our neice will pay her own way and treat us, because her parents are paying her way for everything!"

That's the only (admittedly, very bad) reason I could see to for two working adults to expect a college student to "treat" them and their child at dinner. It might also explain why Aunt called up the mother later to complain - she was leaving a hint that Mom should have made sure that neice passed along the bounty they expected.

The whole story is like a nightmare, and the little cousin sounds like an Etiquette Angel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version