Author Topic: Classic Wedding Faux Pas: "You owe me X amount for my wedding gift"  (Read 15224 times)

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
This is one of my favorite wedding stories. Every time I read it, I picture the paperboy from "Better Off Dead" screaming "I want my two dollars!"

Just this last Saturday my husband and I attended a wedding for his boss, a man who owns several restaurants in the XXXXXX area and is extremely well-to-do.  He brags about his vacation houses and condos around the world.  We do not have a lot of money (my DH makes $11 after 6 years, $11 in the area at a restaurant that has an average per-person tab of over $150, but he stays because we need the medical benefits for my disability, and I'm embarrassed to say that I accept the disability checks I qualify for because he doesn't make enough to support us with me being unable to work), but we bought the nicest gift we could afford.  The gift was sent beforehand though, not brought. The ceremony was beautiful, the food was incredible, but before the best man gave his speech, the bride and groom had an announcement.  And I quote this from a copy of the wedding video that was sent to each guest as a "keepsake":

Groom: Beloved guests, we would like to take this time to thank you for attending our wedding.

*clapping*

Bride: But we need to bring something important to attention.

G:  We have spent a lot of money on this affair for all of you.  So "Linda" and I feel that the least you all could have done was give us gifts worthy of such an event.

*jaws dropping, uncomfortable silence*

G: This reception alone is running us about $200 for each of you.

B: To make it even, we need gifts that are that much each.  But to be a gift and not just help us break even, we should have gotten something at least $400 from each guest. 

G: So "Bubba" (best man) will now read a list of who still owes us a better gift or cash, and for how much.  Please raise your hands when he says your name.  The ushers will bring you envelopes for you to make a monetary deposit in cash or checks.  If you wish to bring us additional gifts, please inform them of this when they bring your card.

It was about this time we left.  But on the video they actually did this.  And we weren't the only guests to leave before the list.  People were so embarrassed!  Did he really expect $800 from us as a couple?  Does he not realize weddings aren't for the gifts? 

FauxPasofYear0205-03

Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
Re: Classic Wedding Faux Pas: "You owe me X amount for my wedding gift"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:27:27 PM »
Entitlement much???

I wonder how many people stopped talking to this couple after that display of poor manners.

ETA: Yes, corrected almost 4 years later because I only now noticed the typo!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:58:58 PM by Alida »

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:46:06 PM »
Eight hundred freaking dollars for every wedding gift?!!??? Even from the ones who aren't relatives??!!??!! And he has to have the balance of the cash right in the middle of the reception?!?!?

Not so much entitlement, IMO, as full-blown insanity.
I think I'd be pretty desperate for a new job after this fiasco. Who wants a boss that is so out of touch with reality?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 05:49:50 PM »
I am speechless.  Completely and utterly. :o

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 06:18:22 PM »
I know this is not nice, nor correct.  But I would be tempted to take my gift back and leave

Since I didn't give you X amount for my gift than I guess you don't want my tacky little gift.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 06:20:11 PM »
this story is unbelievable.  I'd love to see the video!
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Rose2Bear

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 02:10:18 AM »
This was a story from the Etiquette Hell site, right?

I dunno I find this REALLLLLLLLY hard to believe, someone should really put that video on youtube or something if this is real! I would LOVE to see it, I sort of classify this as one where I need to see it to beleive it... Its just too hard to beleive this actually happend!

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 07:28:58 AM »
rdge, Ehell dame said she tried really hard to get the video, but to no avail.
Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

Hawkwatcher

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 11:43:08 AM »
Eight hundred freaking dollars for every wedding gift?!!??? Even from the ones who aren't relatives??!!??!! And he has to have the balance of the cash right in the middle of the reception?!?!?

Not so much entitlement, IMO, as full-blown insanity.
I think I'd be pretty desperate for a new job after this fiasco. Who wants a boss that is so out of touch with reality?

The fact that he was the boss of some of these people is what makes this story really bad.  Some of his employees might have forked over the money because they were afraid of the potential consequences if they did not. 

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 06:31:52 PM »
This was a story from the Etiquette Hell site, right?

I dunno I find this REALLLLLLLLY hard to believe, someone should really put that video on youtube or something if this is real! I would LOVE to see it, I sort of classify this as one where I need to see it to beleive it... Its just too hard to beleive this actually happend!

Agree with you. This whole story is entertaining, but it sounds too fishy to be true.

lkl492

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 08:09:09 PM »
I had read this one on eHell... but it just sounds a little over the top to be true.

In a related story from eHell that I found apalling/amusing... there was the story about the man who attended a morning wedding followed by a brunch that was homemade by the bride's family.  After the wedding he sent a card with a note saying that since the gift should approximate the amount spent per guest, then he was sending the amount of an average brunch buffet:  $7.99

Asharah

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 08:56:15 PM »
There's another story out there about a bride who was informed by a "friend" that she didn't deserve wedding gifts cause she was only having h'ordeurves and not a full dinner at the reception.  ::)
Asharah

citybrat

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 05:20:47 AM »
Plonk...ouch, that hurt, my jaw just hit a very hard floor... :o

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 08:05:45 AM »
Sounds like that is just HOW he got Rich.
Dragons8

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

retreadbride

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 10:41:34 AM »
I read that story and prayed that it was MUD.