Author Topic: Classic Wedding Faux Pas: "You owe me X amount for my wedding gift"  (Read 15243 times)

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
Re: Classic Wedding Faux Pas: "You owe me X amount for my wedding gift"
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 04:37:11 PM »
If that is true, OH MY LORD!! How could a person actually do that? And what about those guests who had brought a gift with them? Were they included on the list? If I were a guest and had brought my gift, I would have left and grabbed my gift on the way out!

And I too would LOVE to see this video. If this is a true story and a video was sent out, there has to be a way to upload it. I know I'd keep mine. Who would believe me afterall?

madMOH

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »
I would love to see the video for this wedding.

First it is a special day to share with everyone, not a gift grab.  Second that fact that the groom actually did this, if my name was called, if the groom happen to come to my wedding earlier I would of said that since we are so inclined to do this for him that he owes you X amount b/c his cheap gift didn't cover his plate.  This is so he can feel what it is like not to be appreciated. Who I feel sorry for are the ushers and groommen that had to go around with the envelops to do this, they must of been horrified. 

NAOMI169

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 11:50:44 AM »
Someone PLEASE post this video on "You-Tube!"

Asharah

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 02:28:31 PM »
The person who posted this here left off the end of the story from the website.

This was just what he and many of his coworkers and friends needed to leave.  He had an interview today, and I am happy to say that the pay increase will allow us to more than pay for COBRA until he qualifies for new benefits.  He starts in two weeks. 

Ha ha to his stupid, greedy boss.

Asharah

TylerBelle

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 07:27:19 PM »
Uggh! Every time I read stories like of this thread and ones similar...

http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_wedding/fundraisers/efundrsr2000.shtml (1st story)

http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_everyday/gimme/edhgimme2003-2arc.shtml (1st story)

http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_misc/fauxpasoftheyear/fauxpasarc2001.shtml (last story)

...where there's an strong encouragement or outright insisting of guests to give more, if I were in attendance, I would love to have the nerve to inquire how would the hosts or others involved be conducting the complete shakedown? I'd have the feeling they wouldn't mind doing so for every available cent. Would it be done mechanically or manually? Mechanically with some kind of machinery that clamps onto guests' ankles, flips them upside down and shakes them like a paint mixer until every bit, every coin, every bill, of money in pocket or purse falls free? Or manually with a couple of burly bouncer-types to get the ankles, invert and do the shaking that way? It'd be so tempting to ask about that when faced with such greediness. Goodness.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

hope

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 04:51:34 PM »
Someone PLEASE post this video on "You-Tube!"

POD.  And then post the link here.

The groom said "we have spent a lot of money on this affair for all of you."  Um, no.  It was your day and YOU had what YOU wanted.

LadyofMaine

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 11:02:53 PM »
Now, WHAT shall I do with this $800?

Go for a weekend in Vermont, or attend the wedding of some crude lout? ::)

sisbam

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 10:31:24 AM »
*read the fundraising stories and cringed*

I personally do not have a lot of money to spare for things such as this. I figure I'm doing well if I can contribute to at least one of these things. And I refuse to be made to feel small or embarrassed because of it...

CynthiaBelle

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 12:50:01 PM »
i wonder, like others have said, how true this story is.

at that, i wonder how true most of the stories on the ehell site are. some of them sound completely plausible, others a little far fetched.  ::)

Jan74

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »
I don't doubt this story. I've been to a wedding where the FOG announced, on the microphone, that "since most of the registry wasn't purchased" (they were registered at a place equivalent to Tiffany's. I'd bought a tiny little statuette thing that cost like $150), they'd be selling the groom's tie, cut up for cash (this is like a money dance/money tree thing here - it is not usually done, but a few weddings do it), but that people "had better give at least $50 for each little square". Ugh. When people do do it, they typically give $1 or $5, more as a joke than a real cash contribution.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »
This was a story from the Etiquette Hell site, right?

I dunno I find this REALLLLLLLLY hard to believe, someone should really put that video on youtube or something if this is real! I would LOVE to see it, I sort of classify this as one where I need to see it to beleive it... Its just too hard to beleive this actually happend!

Agree with you. This whole story is entertaining, but it sounds too fishy to be true.

I agree. It's as believable as the one about "...and then the groom told everyone 'Here's a video of Bride playing scrabble with Best Man. I'm outta here'."
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:34:50 PM by TeamBhakta »

Jan74

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »
The scrabble video one is for me, classic comeuppance. That one is definitely fake/embellished. Say for example someone gets a notice 2 weeks beforehand that the wedding is cancelled, and hears that the bride and best man were sleeping together - they then embellish it into a lovely "here's the video" fantasy.

But just rudely demanding cash and gifts, that I can believe.