Author Topic: Ex member  (Read 81100 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Ex member
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »
I've left a forum before because I just didn't enjoy the environment anymore.  I didn't deactivate the account and will occasionally lurk just to see what the members I did like are up to but I don't post anymore.  So I could see why someone might lurk in a forum they don't like but I don't get why someone would remain active in a forum if they had such a problem with it.

Well other than to kick up drama and stir the pot.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2011, 04:31:04 PM »

That may not always be true. I've come across a couple postings throughout the interwebs (blogs/forums) from banned members who had no clue why they were banned. They just tried to log in and got a ban message.

ETA: I have no idea if the previous members are telling the truth or not, but given that the stories all seem to match up they are at least believable.

There are a few cases where a mod adds an IP address to a ban trigger and it unfortunately catches other people using the same IP address (like a web cafe or public wifi).  All they have to do is ask and we check it out and fix it.   But some people go off half cocked screaming they've been banned when it was really an accident. 

And then there's Hanna whose blog has attracted some members who believe she was cruelly banned from the forum.  The reality is she was deleting her all posts like a fiend creating threads that looked like Swiss cheese and she was gagged for 7 days.   No ban.   The gag expired after 7 days.   Each profile logs the exact date and time you were last in Ehell and Hanna has been visiting here at Ehell as recently as a few days ago.   

Some people get a few days gag, done quietly just between mods and person, and it is the end of the world.  Everyone knows they've been "BANNED".  Well, after drama like that, we probably will make it permanent. 

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »
Some of the members, that were banned, and people are asking why don't know all that is going on. Yes, some have been long-standing members for many years but that doesn't mean that they can't go down the dark path either.  Some of these "upstanding" members that have been so helpful and made the world full of puppy dogs and pink unicorns have also been the most vindictive.  Some of the moderation reports I have seen from some of these people makes me shake my head and hope they don't have any kids they can transfer their toxic personality to.

<snip>

Irony is so ironic.

So it's ok for the mods to make statements like these about members of the forum?

Namárië

« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2011, 04:34:38 PM »
CakeBeret, rashea clarified the pron thing earlier in the thread—it's not about writing it, it's about bringing it to the forum.

I'm sad to hear about all of the drama that has been brought to the forum. :( It's just so distressing to know that people felt this way about EHell...
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

MOM21SON

« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »
Ehhh.  people that have been banned know why.  It really is very simple, read the posting guidelines and it is all laid out.

That may not always be true. I've come across a couple postings throughout the interwebs (blogs/forums) from banned members who had no clue why they were banned. They just tried to log in and got a ban message.

ETA: I have no idea if the previous members are telling the truth or not, but given that the stories all seem to match up they are at least believable.

While I haven't been banned, I certainly have no idea why various threads of mine have been locked.  They've just suddenly been locked for no reason I can readily discern.

The MODS may have seen what was to become of the thread.  A thread being locked doesn't necessarily mean you were the offender.  I have been warned publically on Ehell.  Did it feel good?  No.  but it made me step back and take a look at how others percieve me. 

To noone in particular, this is a free forum.  If you don't like it, then leave.  It really is that simple.

lilgremlin

« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »
Well, that certainly made ME sympathetic to your cause, bookworm.

It did bring up a point, though.  I myself used to wonder "Who died and made the Dame ruler...." until I started my own small forum for something unrelated.  And you know what?  She pays, she rules.  I pay (probably a LOT less) for my forum, and I'm the deciding vote on all decisions.  Period.  Because it's my playground, and my name on the dang thing.

I have a lot more sympathy for the mods and admins here after I became one myself.  No one is perfect, but I think they try.

I have my own forum to. I have to mod it just like anyone else with one. I make sure that those I intrust to mod do so uniformly and fairly. Whether that means more mods or ones that have more time to devote to sitting at the computer. I also don't just decide to ban anyone based on their actions outside of the forum. Until it hits my board, it doesn't exist. That's not a stance against mods. I've been gone 2 years and just started lurking again in the last month or 2. I have no opinion on that other than to say based on everyone's reaction, it hasn't gotten better.

HushHush

« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2011, 04:38:13 PM »
CakeBeret, rashea clarified the pron thing earlier in the thread—it's not about writing it, it's about bringing it to the forum.

I'm sad to hear about all of the drama that has been brought to the forum. :( It's just so distressing to know that people felt this way about EHell...

How does rashea know that's what the Dame meant?  She gave her interpretation of the statement but I haven't seen the Dame agree with it.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »
Wow, a post just disappeared when I clicked on it to quote it.  That's the first time I've seen that happen.

But all I can say is, I'm so glad I never joined anything Facebook-related for any online community.  I'd rather enjoy you all here under my nice assumed name. 

Ehell has always been stricter about moderation than any other community I've been part of.  There are positives and negatives to that, but so far, I'm still here.

DuBois

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2011, 04:39:11 PM »

I, for one, am grateful if dead wood has been cut. It proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that longstanding members are not favoured over new ones. I wish to publically apologise for having doubted that, before. Behaviour seems to be what counts here, which is what matters.

CakeBeret

« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »

Yes, thanks. I wrote a post and forgot to hit the 'post' button and got called away...came back 40 minutes later, hit 'post' and then realized that my concerns had been addressed in the time I was gone. I deleted my post since it was no longer relevant. I hope that doesn't cause any issues. :)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

squeakers

« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2011, 04:40:35 PM »
Seeing the nasty posts here and some of the bitter snark that is pouring out on the Facebook group (the public one, not the super-secret one) does not make me sympathetic to the "cause" of the banned. It...sort of just drives me further into the Dame's camp.

Those of you who are fed-up with the "totalitarian regime" of E-Hell might want to re-think your PR strategy.

I certainly am surprised by how many people have posted at the public group and said what their screen names are.  Me? I don't like a place.. I go somewhere else.  The internet is certainly big enough to find some place more to my liking.  And then I don't expend any negative energy.  Win, win!
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »
Finally read all the threads of recent events, and I have to say that I am mildly shocked. Not the "swooning with a hanky" shocked, but still... I guess I thought a lot of people here were more close knit than they are, or the community was mellower, or something. I will go on record saying I have NEVER been close to perfect (E-hell is the only thing that keeps me walking upright some days), but it kind o makes me sad that a large number of people that I did like... well, things turned out like that.

This is all kind of weird. Maybe I'm just upset that there was a secret party and I wasn't invited. Kinda feels like high school and I wonder what people are saying about me in the hypothetical locker room  :P

My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2011, 04:40:54 PM »
This isn't the first purge that E-hell has undergone and it survived just fine, contrary to those naysayers who say it will only be inhabited by trolls.  It seems that the only people making the loudest noise and the ones trying to get back in after they were banned are the trolls.

With all due respect, sir, thing are not "just fine."

Have you looked at the statistics?  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?action=stats

The new threads started and new posts have been dropping slowly but steadily for the past two years.  Last month was the first time since 2006 that there were fewer than 1000 new threads started.  Even in the very first month, when a lot of people had not immediately made the jump from Delphooey to the new board there were more new threads created than last month.

"Brownies and kindness for all!"  — High Dudgeon

War_Doc

« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2011, 04:41:49 PM »
Some of the members, that were banned, and people are asking why don't know all that is going on. Yes, some have been long-standing members for many years but that doesn't mean that they can't go down the dark path either.  Some of these "upstanding" members that have been so helpful and made the world full of puppy dogs and pink unicorns have also been the most vindictive.  Some of the moderation reports I have seen from some of these people makes me shake my head and hope they don't have any kids they can transfer their toxic personality to.

<snip>

Irony is so ironic.

So it's ok for the mods to make statements like these about members of the forum?

Actually, I singled nobody out on this one.  Also, there were some mod reports that were very hate-filled and it made me step back and wonder why they were here at all.  Unless you are one of the people that has made a hate-filled moderation report, there is no reason to worry.  I'm sorry if you think this is being harsh but Bookworm 317 is just a drop in the ocean of some of the nasty things we have seen and I stand behind my statement 100% that if you act like this on a forum, it doesn't make me think it's a stretch to think you are like that (to some degree) in real life.
By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2011, 04:42:01 PM »

<snip>

Irony is so ironic.

It's what I'd like to know as well. Pretty RUDE statement to make!
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!