Author Topic: Ex member  (Read 81128 times)

HushHush

Re: Ex member
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2011, 03:47:36 PM »
I don't post much but I have reported things that I thought were reportable offenses and nothing has ever seemed to be done about any of it.  I understand the frustration of others.

I thought the warnings were from the new automatic system.  ???

LadyL

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2011, 03:47:53 PM »
Ahhhh ok it makes more sense now.

For those wondering how this works, does anyone remember Livejournal? On that site you have your own blog, as well as groups you can post in that operate much like a forum. In large groups (thousands of members) for example, stupid_free, there would be spinoff groups like sf_drama whose sole purpose was to make fun of the original group, often called "snark communities." They would post threads and make fun of the OP or responses to it. Usually the groups required an application and moderator approval, similar to a private facebook group. Once in a while a snark group would go way too far, like posting a target's full name, email, etc. which violated the TOS - and then the group would be deleted. Sometimes another group would form, such as "Sf_Drama_2."

It sounds like there was a private facebook "snark" group of Ehell members who recruited other members via PM. I'm guessing that the snark group was for openly complaining about Ehellions who annoyed the members in some way. It sounds like someone who got a recruitment memo reported the PM to the mods. Unlike the sensei thread, where the leader "hacked" the info, the info was in fact the result of a complaint.

If that is in fact what happened - that the group's purpose was solely meanspirited - I think it is fine to ban the members. I presume the mods have access to the content of the group.

FWIW I used to be a member of several LJ snark communities and grew out of it in my early 20s. Making fun of people used to be entertaining - it had nothing to do with my self esteem, I just love a good "roast," even of myself (and I would snark on myself openly). It became less funny when some people who had been snarked on LJ tried to get a friend of mine fired for his posts there. It didn't work, but it definitely was a reminder that everything on the internet should be considered public and permanent.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 03:52:01 PM by LadyL »

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2011, 03:48:46 PM »
Schmoopie3928 is another poster who was banned, who didn't bully or bring malice here.

*uproarious laughter*  I LOVE threads like this because stupid trolls expose themselves gloriously  and makes the mod job much easier and faster. 

Schmoopie and Rainda were banned this morning AFTER they both tried to create new IDs.  Given that Nanny Ogg posted this morning on a FB group that their troll group members were creating new troll IDS to get into Ehell, it seemed quite appropriate to nip that right in the bud since both were on a "suspicious list" anyway.

People can contact me by other means.  Email, FB PM and even through the blog comments.  And trust me, a few have.  TrishLoves DOlphins professed her hatred of this forum for years.   A few have complained about friends being banned with no explanation or defense as to why their friend would be involved with such a nasty group or expressing any remorse for being there.  But I, and Ticia to a leser extent, have been receiving PMs from people for whom the light bulb has gone off in their heads.  They finally understand what has been happening on this forum, and they are relieved it is being addressed.

People got banned for a variety of reasons...most notably if they did anything that aided, abetted, facilitated, condoned or directly participated in a group whose whole sole raison d'tre was to cyberbully, humiliate and harass people on Ehell the group deemed were "annoying".   Some got banned for bald faced lying to me.  Some of those banned already had a few warnings (and a few previous gags, too)  to their credit and their participation on the SSG pushed it over the limit or I just got sick of their continued drama that dragged this forum down.  Others for purposely publicly criticizing the moderation without ever once using the tools to help moderators do the job.  For example, not one person griping on this thread  about who got banned has PMed any mod to discuss a possible "collateral damage" ban that should be reversed.  Not one.   And there are lots of people on this forum who know from personal experience that a private PM apologizing or explaining something is given a fair hearing. 

For those of you reading this thread who still are  part of that secret Facebook group but swear you did not participate in the nastiness, shame on you for being a coward.  Each FB group has a "Report This Group" link at the top and when the cyberbullying started and people egging each other to go to Ehell and  dogpile on certain forum members, you should have left the group or reported it as a violation of Facebook Terms of Service.  I'm getting PMs from people who were there on that group and the behavior being reported is disgusting.   If you sat there reading the drama, knowing it was causing problems on Ehell, or hurting people and you did nothing, you were part of the problem and definitely not part of the solution. 

Now, excuse me, I see some trolls I need to ban. 

The Legend of Daisy

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2011, 03:51:45 PM »
I don't post much but I have reported things that I thought were reportable offenses and nothing has ever seemed to be done about any of it.  I understand the frustration of others.

I'm actually starting to wonder if the report to mod system is glitchy or if I'm doing it wrong. There was one locked thread where the someone was warned for responding to a contentious post and the mod said no-one reported the original contentious post. But I know I did!

When you report something are you supposed to get a confirmation? I just write my reason in that little box.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »
Where were several posters warned in recent threads? Were the warnings from other members or from staff?

This is what I am missing as well.

Others for purposely publicly criticizing the moderation without ever once using the tools to help moderators do the job. 

This is specifically what I was referring to when I said some people had been publicly warned.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »
As far as I know, none of the recently banned members have done anything to warrent a banning.

I think that depends. I think that a banning is warranted if someone starts a thread specifically to create drama and trouble on this forum.

Threads like this:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=105544.0
and as pointed out here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=102548.msg2526022#msg2526022
"A thread "Calling out the moderators" for their actions is just never going to go over well, though."

If you have an issue with the moderation, take it up with them privately.

What on earth are talking about???? The Dame supported Lady Pekoe in the first thread you linked.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »
As far as I know, none of the recently banned members have done anything to warrent a banning.

I think that depends. I think that a banning is warranted if someone starts a thread specifically to create drama and trouble on this forum.

Threads like this:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=105544.0
and as pointed out here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=102548.msg2526022#msg2526022
"A thread "Calling out the moderators" for their actions is just never going to go over well, though."

If you have an issue with the moderation, take it up with them privately.

What on earth are talking about???? The Dame supported Lady Pekoe in the first thread you linked.

There was both support and criticism in the response from the Dame. I was more referring to the direction parts of that thread started to take. Most of the threads I have read that I would cite as backing me up were locked and latter hidden while the mods discussed what was going on. That makes it harder to argue my point.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

P-p-p-penguin

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »
I just wanted to pop in and say thank you for the clarification of this situation; things are actually making a lot of sense right now.  I hope that this will mean the atmosphere of the board will improve now :)

The Legend of Daisy - It is possible that your report could have crossed with the mod's post?  If you are supposed to get confirmation that a report has been sent then I've never received one, so am inclined to think that is something we don't get.

567Kate

• Nothing could possibly go wrong with this idea.
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »

I'm actually starting to wonder if the report to mod system is glitchy or if I'm doing it wrong. There was one locked thread where the someone was warned for responding to a contentious post and the mod said no-one reported the original contentious post. But I know I did!

When you report something are you supposed to get a confirmation? I just write my reason in that little box.

I've never received a confirmation, but make sure that you're clicking Submit on the page where you can add the reason. It won't go through to the mods until you do that.

lilgremlin

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »

People can contact me by other means.  Email, FB PM and even through the blog comments.  And trust me, a few have.  TrishLoves DOlphins professed her hatred of this forum for years.

You know, I would love to see proof of this. Cause there is none. I left here 2 years ago because of moderation problems. At the time, I contact you TWICE got no response. So the THIRD time, I asked for my stuff to be deleted and told you exactly why I was leaving. I wasn't rude, I wasn't hateful. I didn't even tell anyone on the board I was leaving. Then, I didn't think about this place again. The only reason I've been around the last month or 2 has been because I thought I'd try it out again and lurk. Then saw something interesting to post on. In fact, I highly encourage anyone to look at my old threads. Please. Do. It will only prove my point. Trishlovesdolphins.

If you'd like to continue to slander me, by all means go ahead. Since you'd like to do that already, why don't you tell me what rule I broke to be banned? 2 posts in 2 years, and I'm banned. By your own rules I should have been warned, and if you look back at those posts they didn't attack anyone. I think the real reason your panties are in a bunch (and yeah, I'm aware that's "snarky") is that I went through and started deleting as much of my information as I could. Even though, I've never seen a rule against that. All I asked was for my account to be deleted. You want to single me out for "hating" you, by all means do so.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:27:39 PM by lilgremlin »

SiotehCat

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »
So, now we have an idea of which posters the super secret group didn't care for.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2011, 04:07:06 PM »
Well, that certainly made ME sympathetic to your cause, bookworm.

It did bring up a point, though.  I myself used to wonder "Who died and made the Dame ruler...." until I started my own small forum for something unrelated.  And you know what?  She pays, she rules.  I pay (probably a LOT less) for my forum, and I'm the deciding vote on all decisions.  Period.  Because it's my playground, and my name on the dang thing.

I have a lot more sympathy for the mods and admins here after I became one myself.  No one is perfect, but I think they try.

And Sio....I may not always agree with your viewpoints, but I for one like that they make me think.

yokozbornak

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2011, 04:07:13 PM »
This all certainly explains a lot.  What I don't understand is why people who hate the people who post here and hate the forum owner and moderator want to post here in the first place.

LadyL

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2011, 04:07:43 PM »
POTTY MOUTHED INSULTS AND NONSENSE

Wow. If this is supposed to somehow convince us the mods are unreasonable in their bannings, what a massive PR failure. I think the troll group needs a better press release  ::). It really sounds like the FB group was to encourage trolling just like this. If posters here upset you enough that you need a support group to vent your frustration, perhaps you don't belong on the internet.

Again I'm a veteran of many LJ snark groups, I understand the draw of them, but there is nothing "ballsy" (pardon my french) about being confrontational and crass on the internet.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2011, 04:08:14 PM »
This all certainly explains a lot.  What I don't understand is why people who hate the people who post here and hate the forum owner and moderator want to post here in the first place.

Exactly.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario