Author Topic: Thankful for E-Hell  (Read 12209 times)

demarco

Re: Thankful for E-Hell
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 10:07:22 AM »
I am grateful for Ehell for providing me with a safe place on the Internet.  The rigorous but evenhandedness of the moderation is what makes it safe.  I value each and every ehellion  who participates in the true spirit of the forum, regardless of whether I agree with them.

bigozzy

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 10:21:36 AM »
If ehell were a school, it would be the school I would want my kids to attend.

A diverse learning experience of people and cultures, a safe place to learn, encouraging and protective as well.

Every school has its problems too, I realise!

aikigirl

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 11:32:26 AM »
I too am a long time lurker, I've been reading ehell since before the forum started and I too want to say thank you to all involved. My mom, while a great mom, wasn't the best at teaching etiquette and I stumbled a lot growing up. I have learned so much here and have gained so much confidence and a stronger spine (although I'm still working on that!). So a big thanks from me.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »
I know that just yesterday, I was thinking that we needed a folder called: Great Life Lessons, in which we would put those great threads where we all benefitted from the OP's experiences.  Specifically, threads like Roe's Summer of No, or Aeris's thread in INAH: I'm Having a Bad Year.  These threads were long and involved, but there was a lot of sharing and growing by everyone.

You could keep the threads locked, if necessary, but they would be wonderful things to point a new member to.  It is the threads like this that make Ehell invaluable to me.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »
Ehell is where I spend most of my internet time.  I mostly read the fun threads and threads about "safe everyday" etiquette topics, which may be why I missed clues and red flags to recent events.  Although I'm stunned and sad, I think Ehell has more good things (and people) than bad.  It's just like everything else where the bad stuff is more noticeable and get headlines than the good.

This is where I learned you don't put a gift registery in with the invitation.  That there is no such thing as fashionably late.  That bacon goes with everything   ;D

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 02:34:54 PM »
I appreciate all of the advice I've received here, whether it was my post or not. Even, or heck maybe especially, the times someone has bluntly disagreed with me and made me go "Ouch, I didn't think about that. Maybe I should!" I can't count how many times I've almost done something and thought "What would eHell say about this?" Not that I can't usually make good decisions, but you guys are definitely a little voice in the back of my head now.  :D

A special thanks to the mods who did their jobs so well that most of us were left going "Huh?". Been there, hated that, appreciate the socks off those of you who step up and do it!!

(Also taking a moment to say I'd been really worried about who might disappear but I'm relieved that, as far as I can tell, all of my faves are still around.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 02:42:08 PM by JenJay »

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »
I also am thankful for E-Hell. I love the friendships that we have gained from here. The acceptance of each others faults. Hugs for each others challenges and heartache. The pure fun that we all share.

I am NOT thankful for the fact that I can't look at an invitation for a Scrabble party or tournament without losing it. :)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
I am NOT thankful for the fact that I can't look at an invitation for a Scrabble party or tournament without losing it. :)

No kidding! Not to mention every time my friend texts me and invites me to get online and play scrabble with her and her other friend. "You should come play scrabble with us!" GAH!!  ;D

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 02:49:32 PM »

No kidding! Not to mention every time my friend texts me and invites me to get online and play scrabble with her and her other friend. "You should come play scrabble with us!" GAH!!  ;D

Oh, yeah. Someone was on the news as having won at Scrabble, and I couldn't tell my parents why I almost fell out of my chair laughing.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

AngelicGamer

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
I am grateful for the new use of Scrabble for I explain to my friends why I crack up about it.  It's now in our daily vocabulary.  :D  I am grateful that I am allowed to lurk and learn etiquette from reading different threads.  Learning that one can say no and it is okay - that is wonderful. 

I am also grateful for the Entertainment and News forum.  I rarely come out of there because there is such great thoughts about shows we all watch.  And while we may not watch them together, it is still fun to have the discussion.  Mostly because sometimes I'm the only one in my circle that watches it (*cough*Real Housewives*cough*). 

I am grateful for our Mods and the Dame, for without them, we would not have this great place.  So thank you!!!

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

MyFamily

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
I'm grateful to ehell for helping me through this last week.  My grandfather passed away (today was his funeral).  At one point I was told that a decision had been made, that while would have made my life easier, would mean that the entire family would be together without me, my husband and kids the night before the funeral.  In the past, with my family, I would have gotten emotional.  This time, I used the coke rule - I removed myself from the phone call nicely and quickly, and then cried.  I got all the emotion out and was able to talk calmly and nicely to my family.  Turns out that the decision hadn't been made yet, it was an idea that was being considered but they weren't going to make this decision without talking to me because it would affect me.  But I handled it okay and I didn't fall back into old family habits.  And when I did hang up the phone I almost got a coke, but didn't since I can't drink any colas.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

furrcats

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »
I am grateful for Ehell for providing me with a safe place on the Internet.  The rigorous but evenhandedness of the moderation is what makes it safe.  I value each and every ehellion  who participates in the true spirit of the forum, regardless of whether I agree with them.

POD to infinitely

auntmeegs

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 06:34:51 PM »
Hugs back, Hobish! And some for everyone else too. :)

Although I have never gotten a baby unicorn in response...

You mean like this?

;D

I REALLY need this baby unicorn.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 06:43:39 PM »
TheBardess, that is some excellent photoshop work, it truly looks real! Wish I could do that in photoshop :)

So do I, come to that.  ;)  You flatter me, but I'm afraid my only talent here was my excellent use of Google Image.  ;D
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »
Pod the thankfulness and want to join in on the group E-Hug!
Formerly Mrs.Bart