Author Topic: Sharing accounts  (Read 6811 times)

Crazy Chicken Lady

Sharing accounts
« on: October 29, 2011, 07:49:44 PM »
Hi
I have a quick question and.I apologize if this has been answered before. My cousin will be staying with us for a few months at least. As of now she's a lurker using her mom's computer. When she comes to stay with us, she will probably be using my computer and thus my IP address. If she would like to create her own Ehell account to post, can she still be approved? If not, can she just post from my account and just state who she is at the end of her post. I realize I'll be responsible for whatever she may post but I'm fine with that.
Thanks in advance. :-)

SiotehCat

Re: Sharing accounts
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
I was wondering something like this too.

My DH made an account last year. I don't know if he ever uses it. Would it be a problem if he did? I am sure he wouldn't post, but he might be lurking.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »
I'm curious about this, too. My DH also has an account. He very rarely posts, and only logs on from his office, so there hasn't been any trouble so far, but I would hate for him to log on or post from home and for us to get accidentally flagged as trolls or something because our IPs matched.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:51:12 PM »
We have wondered this, also.  My son likes to read over here sometimes, and I would not be surprised if he wanted his own account someday.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

StarFaerie

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 11:16:25 PM »
I have that concern too. Also I don't have a static IP here at home, so if I reboot my router, I get a new IP address. Could that cause problems if I end up with an IP address that had been used by someone else on here?

MerryCat

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 12:46:36 AM »
I can't give a definitive answer but, in my own experience anyway, it should be fine for multiple family members to have an account.

For almost two years I shared an apartment and an internet connection with my sister PaddedPaws, who's also a member here. We both delurked and signed up at the same time, the same day I think. If that weren't suspicious enough, we both posted in the same  introduction thread. We've never had any problems.

When it's multiple members of the same household I think it's pretty obvious. They usually have their own style, post independently of each other on different threads, etc.

MyFamily

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 08:59:33 AM »
While I don't think there is a problem with multiple family members having individual accounts, I don't think the OP's cousin should use her account.  There are areas of the board that are closed to people who don't have accounts, and unless your cousin signs up and agrees to the rules, she shouldn't have access to those areas of the board and she shouldn't be allowed to post anything.  The OP can post something on her behalf (we see that a lot here), but the only person who should use a user id should be the person who signed up for the account, since they are the only ones who agreed to the rules.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 11:15:41 AM »
It's easy to sign up - why not have cousin get her own account?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:20:31 AM »
It's easy to sign up - why not have cousin get her own account?

I think the main question is, if the cousin decides she wants an account when she is at the OP's home, will it be OK even with a duplicate IP address? If not, what's the best way to fix it?

I don't think the OP is even sure the cousin wants her own account; I get the feeling she's trying to get all her ducks (chickens?) in a row just in case, given the recent goings on.
The status is not quo!

Crazy Chicken Lady

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »
That's exactly what I wondering Wonderflonium. :-) I didn't want her to be denied an account or my account to be banned when she registered from my computer.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »
PM a mod and explain the situation and I suspect it will be fine. We have a lot of people who lived together on this site, so I'm sure they've dealt with it before. They may not notice the posting in the forum though.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 04:50:12 PM »
Set her up with her own guest account on the computer AND her own account here - it might make just enough of a difference to be noted..........

I'm on my fifth or sixth (seventh?  I lost count) computer since joining here - although apparently getting a new hard drive & setting it up will confuse the count on some websites and programs (I have a couple of programs that I am allowed to set up ONE time on ONE computer - and if I change computers, I have to go through deregistering and reregistering to get the program to work properly and legally).

But there are good reasons to have a guest account on your computer - and you don't have to leave it as "guest" - it could be listed under her name............

I have had house guests that I would trust with "my computer" and others that I found that I could not trust with computer access beyond the barest minimum (no downloading access).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 07:34:15 PM »
PM Jeanne with the info, as she is the one who approves accounts.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.