Author Topic: Visiting America! (New York, Las Vegas, Six Flags help wanted!)  (Read 2094 times)

Silversurfer

Visiting America! (New York, Las Vegas, Six Flags help wanted!)
« on: October 30, 2011, 12:50:40 AM »
Hi all!
The DH and I are currently planning a holiday to the great USA, most likely for about three weeks in june/july 2012.
As I said in the title, we want to go to New York (just heard the Statue of Liberty is under repair for an entire year!  :( ), Las Vegas and Six Flags.

We would also like to work in San Frascisco, maybe an ice hockey game and possibly a WWE match.

Is there any locals in any of the areas who can give us a few hints or advice on what to do/what not to do or places to stay?

I am also interested in hearing any six flags experiences. From what i can gather, Key Lime Cove is the official resort for Six Flags. The indoor water park looks amazing!

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Visiting America! (New York, Las Vegas, Six Flags help wanted!)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »
wow wonderful have a great trip!

New York is amazing! can you be more specific about what you are interested in? museums? art? architecture? trendy art galleries? shopping? edo you know where you'll be staying?

I was in the US in august - one great tip re shopping: NJ has no sales tax on clothing (not sure about other items) and as a result they have amazing outlet malls. there is a mall in paramus, NJ and one in elizabeth - both are easily accesible by public transportation from manhatten.

(There are several threads in the "coffee break" sections specifically about NYl. you might want to check them out).

six flags - do you mean the amusement park? which one are you going to?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 02:56:11 PM »
We would also like to work in San Frascisco, maybe an ice hockey game and possibly a WWE match.

June/July is the wrong time of the year for ice hockey, plus the local NHL team is actually over in San Jose. But I'd definitely recommend a baseball game. AT&T Park is a beautiful ballpark. You just need to know that it can get very cold (particularly during evening games) if the fog rolls in.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 02:59:26 PM »
I doubt you'll get to see hockey game in June/July - unless you can score some playoff tickets at the beginning of June and the teams are playing in the city you are in/near.  NHL and their farm teams will be done playing by then, as will the university/college level teams.

If you are trying for New York and Las Vegas, you'll lose a day to travel, since it is about a 5 hour flight between the two - they are on opposite sides of the country!  Las Vegas/San Francisco would be more doable, I think, since at least they are in the same general area of the country.  You could probably drive between the two.  I've been to San Francisco and loved it.  I just wish we'd had more time because there were some things we didn't see due to time constraints.

There are Six Flags resorts all over so I'd pick one close to one of the other cities you are planning to visit.  Otherwise, you'll spend more time in airports than you will on the ground.   :)

ETA a word.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:09:07 PM by Outdoor Girl »
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 03:02:17 PM »
The Museum of Modern Art and the Metropolitan are wonderful museums in New York.

Try to see a Broadway play if you can. I've seen The Producers and South Pacific on Broadway, and they were awesome.

Bubba Gump's on Time Square is pretty good, nothing special. Unfortunately, I can't remember where else I ate in New York.  :'(
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 03:05:13 PM »
Yup - no tax on clothing in NJ, but everything else is taxed! 

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 03:11:24 PM »
Outdoor Girl brings up a good point. Many Europeans tend to underestimate the size of the US. A couple of years ago we met an Italian couple at the gas station in Crane Flat in Yosemite. They had arrived in San Francisco that day (SFO-Crane Flat is about 5 hours). It was about 9pm. They asked when they would get to Las Vegas. We told them "about in time for breakfast" which shocked them. They then asked for a hotel recommendation close by along their road and where shocked again when we told them that the next one would be in Lee Vining which would be at least two hours (no hotels (or at least none you can stay in without reserving months in advance) along the Tioga Road).

I usually tell Europeans that (to first order) California is the size of Germany in terms of length and width. Gives them some idea of the scale they are looking at.

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 11:49:13 PM »
I checked  map, it looks like Six Flags in Jackson, New Jersey is closest to NYC - about 70 miles or a 90-minute drive to get there. I am assuming this is the one you would go to.  I have never been there, so can't tell you anything specific.
NYC is fabulous, lots of fun, and lots of things to do. Definitely go to a Broadway show. We enjoy the Museum of Modern Art,  there are lots of other museums, Central Park you can spend a couple of days walking around, go to Chinatown and Little Italy and eat your way around the city! Seek out the less expensive places that locals go to for lunch, there are some great restaurants that are not fancy and have great values. Just spend some time walking around Times Square at night to take in all the lights!
I do not know what country you are coming from, but agree with other posters, you do realize it will take an entire day to fly from one side of the country to the other. You could maybe stay in NYC one week or so, then go to other side of country. I enjoy Las Vegas but prefer to stay in the city for only a couple of days, and then rent a car and drive to Valley of Fire state park, Hoover Dam, and Grand Canyon for a few days. There are amazing natural areas within an easy driving distance from Las Vegas. And I don't think there is another city anywhere like Las Vegas! Fly in at night and you can see the classic strip lit up, the airport is very close to the strip.
Have fun!

Silversurfer

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 02:12:43 AM »
Thank you all for the replies!
I know the US is a big place - we are coming from Australia! I have read with interest some of the threads on NYC. IT seems like such an amazing place.
Its unfortunate that Las Vegas and New York are on opposite sides of the country, but they are what we want to see!
We are kind of interested in all sorts. We want to have a bit of education (museums) a bit of fun (six flags or amusement park) and a bit of cultural awesomeness. (like broadway and vegas!! )

Thanks for all the advice!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:59:19 PM »
Thank you all for the replies!
I know the US is a big place - we are coming from Australia! I have read with interest some of the threads on NYC. IT seems like such an amazing place.
Its unfortunate that Las Vegas and New York are on opposite sides of the country, but they are what we want to see!
We are kind of interested in all sorts. We want to have a bit of education (museums) a bit of fun (six flags or amusement park) and a bit of cultural awesomeness. (like broadway and vegas!! )

Thanks for all the advice!

Yup, it is big. I've never been to most of it - and I live in America! All the rich, rich history is amazing, and I hope to see it all someday.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Frog24

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 06:23:36 PM »
Perhaps it's a terrible thing to say, but Vegas has a hotel called New York, New York, complete with a Statue of Liberty out front.   Two birds, one stone? >:D

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 07:41:33 PM »

No interest at all in nature? The Grand Canyon? Bryce Canyon? Yosemite? Sequioas? Monument Valley?

Or places like Mesa Verde or Canyon de Chelly? They are all not that far away from Vegas.

Betelnut

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 07:42:27 PM »
Perhaps it's a terrible thing to say, but Vegas has a hotel called New York, New York, complete with a Statue of Liberty out front.   Two birds, one stone? >:D

Yes, that is a terrible thing to say but a stay at the NY, NY hotel might be fun after visiting the real thing!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Silversurfer

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »
Absolutley interested in nature! The national parks are sound great and we wish to vist them as well!

Lol at the New York New York hotel in Vegas! But i think the real New York will have little extras to offer as wel!

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 06:55:51 AM »
I'd suggest flying into Phoenix, driving up to the Grand Canyon through Sedona and gawk at the wonders. You could then drive to Las Vegas for a flight to San Francisco and stay a day or two in Vegas before getting a cheap flight (try Southwest Airlines) or driving to San Francisco.  Really unless you want to see a bunch of shows Las Vegas will probably disappoint you. All slot machines start to look alike and it's not exactly cultural there.