Author Topic: Karma Points?  (Read 17142 times)

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
Karma Points?
« on: October 30, 2011, 02:58:04 PM »
So I happened to notice the Karma +/- on our posts and I was wondering if this has to do with the new rules put in place by the Dame and mods?  Is this related to the new system where warnings/gags/etc. are going to be part of an automated system where a certain number of warnings will eventually lead to a person being banned? 

How do you get karma points?

Solanna Dryden

Re: Karma Points?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
If it's anything like it is on another forum I'm on, people will give you karma for posts of your they really like. Or negative karmas for posts they don't, I guess (we don't have negative on the other board).

It's kind of like a Facebook 'like' button.

If this is the same as what I'm thinking of, anyway.
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

Garden Goblin

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 03:09:24 PM »
Based on other recent happenings, I'm going to just go ahead and say I really hope the 'management' rethinks adding karma points to this site.  It's just a recipe for hurt feelings and other disasters.

AdakAK

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »
I hadn't even noticed it, I'm so unobservant.  Now I'm curious though so I'm posting for updates.

buvezdevin

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 03:13:51 PM »
I am also wondering what that is for, so posting to see any replies.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Lindstrom Lindstrom

• It's less confusing for me this way.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 03:16:52 PM »
Based on other recent happenings, I'm going to just go ahead and say I really hope the 'management' rethinks adding karma points to this site.  It's just a recipe for hurt feelings and other disasters.

POD to this. I can see it scaring away shy people who don't post much (i.e. me) to get a "negative" karma point from someone who disagrees with you.

Germane Jackson

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »

POD to this. I can see it scaring away shy people who don't post much (i.e. me) to get a "negative" karma point from someone who disagrees with you.

I agree, I don't really like the idea of the karma points at all. I've been on other forums and seen it abused. There was one gaming forum I posted on that had this system and they eventually did away with it because of the negative points abuse. It seems like it's a popularity contest to me.

SiotehCat

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 03:21:30 PM »
I've never been on a forum that did karma points. Do we give them to each other or do the mods give them. If the mods gave them, that might be ok.

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »

I have to agree, if it is indeed a facebook-esque like/dislike thing.

My first thought on seeing it was more in line with the OP, though, that this would somehow relate to the new 'warning' system. Which would mean that your 'warning' status would be viewable by everyone, I suppose. Though I don't know how you'd get positive karma in that situation...

Phoebe

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »

I agree, I don't really like the idea of the karma points at all. I've been on other forums and seen it abused. There was one gaming forum I posted on that had this system and they eventually did away with it because of the negative points abuse. It seems like it's a popularity contest to me.

That's how I feel about it.  It feels like a simpler way to "dogpile" someone.

LovesWater

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »
I am curious, too. I cannot find any way to affect someone's karma points, so ...

Germane Jackson

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »
Even if it was only controlled by the mods I don't think it's a good idea. Wouldn't it be embarrassing to a poster who had negative karma? Everybody would know they have been  bad or on watch. I thought warnings and bannings were kept secret or in-house. I don't see how putting it out there on their profile is a good thing at all.

IDriveADodgeStratus

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 03:45:49 PM »

As another shy person who doesn't post much, I have to agree with you (and I love your screen name! I love Rose!!).  Negative points would probably just scare me off completely.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 04:03:45 PM »
And, if nothing else, it seems to promote one religion over another.  'God bless you!" or "you just scored karma points" or "the devil made me do it" all have connotations that may just be a slang expression, or it may be promoting a religion.

I would prefer virtual brownie points.   ;D

Actually, I would like to let poster decide for themselves if they want to read or not.
I am not on FaceBook.  I do not know if I would have been considered a rabble rouser or not, like the ones that got banninated. 

But, by having every singe post judged, means that I will jump off of e-hell, a place where I can post anonymous questions and dilemmas, and instead go to...real life? 

maybe I should do that anyway.  I have been tired of reading OP's being nit-picked on.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 04:14:39 PM »
Also, forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't all Karma bad?  I thought Karma was like sin and there was no such thing as "good Karma."

Florida