News:

• February 19, 2018, 08:11:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: We carved your pumpkin! Nyah, nyah!  (Read 11152 times)

Addy

We carved your pumpkin! Nyah, nyah!
« on: October 30, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
Happy Hallowe'en, E-Hellions!

A friend posted this on Facebook. She had left her un-carved pumpkin on her front porch. This morning she woke up to find her pumpkin had been carved, with a note inside saying, "We carved your pumpkin for you. Too bad you didn't get a bigger one, so we could have shared the seeds with you."

What do you think? I would have been really mad at the loss of the seeds, but my friend was more concerned that someone had taken her property right from her porch. She said it felt like a violation, and I agreed with her. But some people were commenting that it was whimsical and cute and saved her the trouble of carving it herself. Someone said it was something like your garden gnome being taken on a vacation.

Anybody out there who would not be bothered by this?

ShadesOfGrey

Re: We carved your pumpkin! Nyah, nyah!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:28:50 PM »
If they had left the seeds, OR left a "Happy Halloween!" or even a "You've been visited by a ghoul!!!" note, it would have been a fun, whimsical spirit of the holiday sort of thing. 

But I took the note like you did - nyah nyah...
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Snewt

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »
I would be EXTREMELY put out by this.  It is the same as if someone took all of the strawberries off of the plants on my porch... it's vandalism!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:31:16 PM »
Yeah. that's pretty....yeah.  I wouldn't be really very happy about that either.  I had specific plans for my pumpkins and I would have been pretty miffed if someone took my pumpkins and carved them without my knowledge.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Addy

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 08:38:19 PM »
Good point, GreenEyedHawk, when you're too old for trick or treating, the pumpkin carving is one of the few fun things left to do!

I always have plans for my pumpkins too. My best one was a few years ago, I did the Mona Lisa.

Wittyone

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »
And what an interesting assumption.  Suppose she didn't want her pumpkin carved? 

The note is definitely bratty, not fun and whimsical.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:00:15 PM by Wittyone »
California

Iris

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 08:54:20 PM »
If they had left the seeds, OR left a "Happy Halloween!" or even a "You've been visited by a ghoul!!!" note, it would have been a fun, whimsical spirit of the holiday sort of thing. 

But I took the note like you did - nyah nyah...

POD I would be very miffed about this. Particularly the "Too bad you didn't get a bigger one..." part. That's just so, so...what's the word I'm looking for...obnoxious
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
Not to mention, tying in with my previous comment, that if someone else carved my pumpkins without my permission, thus ruining my plans, I'd be doubly miffed by the (around here, anyway) nigh-impossible task of finding new ones the day before Halloween.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

wheeitsme

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »
What if I didn't want my pumpkin carved?  What if I was planning on smoking it for smoked pumpkin and ham soup?  I would be seriously peaved.

trailgrrl

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 10:03:03 PM »
My family would have been tremendously disappointed.  The pumpkins seeds are their favorite part.  I would have been furious.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 10:10:28 PM »
I would feel violated on so many levels.  It's just unspeakably rude.  I'd almost be tempted to file a police report, although I'm usually the last person to advocate extreme reactions!   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Glaceon

• Pokemon Trainer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »
What gets me is the "too bad we couldn't share!" part.  It's presumptuous.  You don't "share" my property.  I share it, or don't, at my discretion.  Not funny or fun to me - it's trespassing and vandalism.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »
To be honest. I would be calling the non-emergency number for the police department and file a complaint. Fortunately, we have security cameras and could find out who did it. They would be in a huge world of trouble. That is theft and vandalism. That is not a funny prank in my book. We make wine from our pumpkins so we paint them not carve them. This would have totally ruined it and we would be out a bunch of money (we get really huge ones)

Brentwood

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 10:36:06 PM »
What gets me is the "too bad we couldn't share!" part.  It's presumptuous.  You don't "share" my property.  I share it, or don't, at my discretion.  Not funny or fun to me - it's trespassing and vandalism.

And theft. Give me back the seeds you stole!

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 01:00:43 AM »
I would be furious.

1. I love pumpkin carving. To have someone carve my pumpkin "for" me would be like taking my crossword puzzle book and working every puzzle "for" me--it's neither helpful or cute to take the supplies for my fun activity and use them so that I cannot. If what I wanted was just a carved pumpkin, I would have bought one of the pre-carved fake pumpkins or asked someone who did like the activity to carve one for me.
1a. I'm picky about my jack-o-lantern designs. I don't think I've ever just done a traditional jack-o-lantern face, and when I buy a pumpkin to decorate my home, I expect to decide what design I want to display--including the option of displaying an uncarved pumpkin.
2. They stole/ruined any edible parts of the pumpkin--both the seeds and the flesh of the pumpkin. I can usually get enough shredded pumpkin for several batches of pumpkin bread out of one jack-o-lantern pumpkin (I tend to scrape them thin enough that you can see a slight glow through the whole pumpkin). Plus there are the seeds, which I personally don't cook, but plenty of people do (including the pumpkin vandals, apparently).

Bottom line for me: If their motivation was just to anonymously share their artwork with someone who they thought would enjoy it, then they should have bought their own pumpkin to carve and leave, accepting that the recipients may just throw it away. (They could even have bought a large enough one to share the seeds, if they were so inclined.) Carving someone else's pumpkin without permission (and taking the seeds) is just vandalism and theft.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.