News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 25, 2018, 02:38:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: We carved your pumpkin! Nyah, nyah!  (Read 12160 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Re: We carved your pumpkin! Nyah, nyah!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 01:56:08 AM »
What gets me is the "too bad we couldn't share!" part.  It's presumptuous.  You don't "share" my property.  I share it, or don't, at my discretion.  Not funny or fun to me - it's trespassing and vandalism.

And theft. Give me back the seeds you stole!

The seed theft would have upset me, too.  That's the only part I enjoy.

JoieGirl7

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 03:05:54 AM »
I would think that was funny as all heck!

A lot of tricksters take people's pumpkins and smash them.  Why get upset at someone who is obviously a lot more creative.

It's a pumpkin.  A great big gourd that you leave out on the stoop to celebrate a silly holiday about tricks and treats!

What are the police going to do?  Divert their resources to find out who took your pumpkin and carved it?  Really?

It's one step down from a garden gnome.  Garden gnomes are not easily carvable--and really, if someone carved your garden gnome, that would be a lot more creepy and scary!

A garden gnome is also not something you are going to throw away like you are a pumpkin.

Why not put a candle in it and leave it out tonight.  At least it gives you an interesting story to tell.

Can we not lighten up a little bit with silly holiday like Halloween?

Amalthea

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 03:22:37 AM »
"We carved your pumpkin for you. Too bad you didn't get a bigger one, so we could have shared the seeds with you."

Clearly when choosing a pumpkin, people need to be thinking ahead on whether there are enough pumpkin seeds for a thief to have their fill so they can leave the leftovers for the owner.  It's a shame when there aren't enough to go around and the thief just has to take all of them. ::)

A lot of tricksters take people's pumpkins and smash them.  Why get upset at someone who is obviously a lot more creative.

So, as long as someone ruins my property creatively, it should be totally okay?

Erich L-ster

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 04:02:49 AM »
I would be furious as well. You spent the money, picked it out, brought it home, probably spent time thinking about how you'd carve it and looking forward to roasted seeds and all of that has been stolen by some *expletive* who thinks it's funny. I'd rather have not gotten the thing back at all as it's essentially ruined and only serves as a reminder of what that *expletive* did.

shhh its me

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 04:27:40 AM »
   I'm not sure they did carve their pumpkin , wouldn't switching the pumpkin uncarved with a carved make more sense?  I could see this being funny if this was close friends and they returned the uncarved pumpkin, have a running joke about how you never get around to carving your pumpkins or even is it was teens swapping all the pumpkin on a block.       Any of those things would still be rude but I think obviously not malicious, the "share the seeds part" makes me think adult.............. adults tend to revel themself when they prank and are more likely then teens to stick to active pranking "combatants" or people who have expressly said  like " I like pranks" , " I which someone would steal my garden gnome and take it on vacation, that would be so funny" .  So my advice would be to wait till tonight and see if the pranker revels him/herself and see why they thought it was OK. 

sammycat

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 07:55:12 AM »
In my mind the pumpkin is a red herring.  The fact is, someone trespassed onto another person's property and vandalised and stole their belongings. 

Halloween is barely celebrated where I live so I can't relate to the whole pumpkin carving thing, but I'd liken it to someone deliberately destroying my Christmas lights display.  You can bet your bottom dollar I'd be mad as hell.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 08:30:48 AM »
I'd be furious!  I'm not one who enjoys the carving part of it (I have a thing about getting my hands goopy) but my kids love doing it so if someone were to be so presumptuous as to take the opportunity away from them, I'd be mad on their behalf. 

I don't think it's cute at all, it's really rude, presumptuous and snotty.  It would be one thing if they carved a pumpkin of their own and deposited it on your porch.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »
It's a pumpkin.  A great big gourd that you leave out on the stoop to celebrate a silly holiday about tricks and treats!

Yeah, but it's her pumpkin! If I spend money (whether it be $1 or $100) to purchase something that I want to enjoy, I should be able to enjoy it as I please. I like to carve the pumpkins, give the flesh to my mom for pumpkin cookies, and roast the seeds for myself. That's a lot of happiness out of one little gourd, and I'd be peeved if someone took it away from me and thereby wasted my money.

Would I call the police? No. Would I be irritated? Yes, ESPECIALLY with the inclusion of "too bad you didn't get a bigger one so we could share the seeds" in the note. "Too bad you didn't spend more money; if you had, we'd give back some of what we stole."
The status is not quo!

Brentwood

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 09:11:43 AM »

<snip>

I'm sorry. I wouldn't find it funny for someone to take my belongings for their own uses, no matter how "creative" they are.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 09:15:09 AM »
What if, for instance, somebody brought spray paint and did a gorgeous mural of a nature scene on the side of your house?  You just left your siding painted a solid color.  They were much more creative with it!  And, after all, they *could* have used that spraypaint to tag your house and decorate it with graffitti.  So why be upset over somebody doing something cute and silly instead?  At least, that's basically what your argument amounts to, aside from the increased cost of undoing what they did.

I think it's a nasty, mean prank.  Just because it's slightly less destructive than smashing your pumpkin doesn't actually make it right, funny, or amusing.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »

What are the police going to do?  Divert their resources to find out who took your pumpkin and carved it?  Really?

It's one step down from a garden gnome.  Garden gnomes are not easily carvable--and really, if someone carved your garden gnome, that would be a lot more creepy and scary!

A garden gnome is also not something you are going to throw away like you are a pumpkin.

Why not put a candle in it and leave it out tonight.  At least it gives you an interesting story to tell.

Yes, it's just a pumpkin, but it's the principal more than the action.
Frankly, I'd be equally annoyed if someone tromped across the newly fallen snow on my front lawn and built a snowman for me.

Some things are the pleasure and privilege of the owner.  What if you had the pumpkin out for a few days with plans to turn it into pumpkin pies for a big family thanksgiving dinner?  What if, like me, the seeds are your favorite part, and the process of slowly roasting them is a pleasure you look forward to after Halloween?

It's not really the carving of the pumpkin that's the problem, it's the theft of the pleasure that belongs to the person who owns the property.  It was incredibly presumptuous of the stealth-carver.  And taking the seeds (the best part in my opinion) was really extremely rude.  What if I marched into your house and took the last piece of pie and then said to you "if you had a bigger piece of pie in your fridge, I could have shared it with you."  It wasn't the stealth-carver's property to "share".

SuperMartianRobotGirl

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »
I would personally think it was funny and in the sprit of Halloween, in the "trick or treat" sense. However, it's a big risk. You'd have to way of knowing if someone would react how Audrey Quest and I would, or how everyone else here would react. Maybe it's a "know your audience" thing.

Thipu1

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 09:30:13 AM »
I wouldn't find this funny at all. 

If someone sneaked onto my porch and put a mask or a wig on an uncarved pumpkin without damage, that would be funny.  Carving the pumpkin and stealing the seeds is vandalism. 

As other posters have said, a person's property is that person's property.  It is verboten to others without the owner's permission. 

The whole 'prank' smacks of a nasty, 'catch me if you can' attitude that's a little on the eerie side.

Addy

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 09:32:14 AM »
You have a point, SMRG, as a few people did think it was funny, but as the owner of the pumpkin was upset, obviously the phantom carver did not know his/her audience. Or didn't care.

Thipu, I think the mask or wig idea is hilarious!

Betelnut

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »
Frankly, I think it is kind of funny too.  I live and work where pumpkins are everywhere (lots of farmer's markets) so I guess I don't see them as that special and easy to replace.  I can see where everyone is coming from but it wouldn't upset me too much personally.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.