News:

• February 25, 2018, 09:52:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: We carved your pumpkin! Nyah, nyah!  (Read 11208 times)

Pioneer

Re: We carved your pumpkin! Nyah, nyah!
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 10:01:07 AM »
Despicable.

Every Spring, our rhubarb gets harvested by someone.  If he or she asked, we'd likely share, because while rhubarb has a short season, it IS abundant.  Also, muffins, pies, coffee cakes and cobblers aren't exactly in our meal plans anyway so we should limit ourselves.  Every year, instead of feeling neighborly and generous, we feel a wee bit violated. 

Oh, and the debris is left lying in our yard.  The thief lops those huge leaves from each stalk and scatters them on our lawn.  Not in an "I hate you and left you a mess," way, but rather, "I stole your pieplant, and am too lazy to pick up after myself."
"Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." -- Will Rogers

HermioneGranger

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 10:02:25 AM »
It's vandalism and theft in my book.  And around here, good luck finding a replacement today, because you probably won't. 

Thipu1

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 10:03:13 AM »
 Hurricane Irene knocked a lot of pumpkin farms in our area.  What may have been a 5 USD pumpkin last year now may now cost 15 UDS.  That's a fairly steep expenditure for a simple decoration.  When a decoration is stolen, people get testy. They get especially testy if the decoration is also supposed to provide some sort of food. 

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
I'd be ticked. No one has any right to come into my space and mess with my stuff, unless I have given them permission.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

HermioneGranger

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 10:04:26 AM »
Despicable.

Every Spring, our rhubarb gets harvested by someone.  If he or she asked, we'd likely share, because while rhubarb has a short season, it IS abundant.  Also, muffins, pies, coffee cakes and cobblers aren't exactly in our meal plans anyway so we should limit ourselves.  Every year, instead of feeling neighborly and generous, we feel a wee bit violated. 

Oh, and the debris is left lying in our yard.  The thief lops those huge leaves from each stalk and scatters them on our lawn.  Not in an "I hate you and left you a mess," way, but rather, "I stole your pieplant, and am too lazy to pick up after myself."

Pieplant.  It took me years to realize that Laura Ingalls Wilder was talking about rhubharb when she wrote about pieplant.  Now I could really go for some strawberry rhubharb pie. 

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 10:05:36 AM »
It's a horrible thing to do. Even if the carving artist was a genius and the pumpkin was now worth a lot of money the victim has (1) had their space invaded by strangers (2) has lost the joy of carving the pumpkin (3) gets no other part of the pumpkin, seeds or flesh or anything (4) has the extra work of finding a replacement pumpkin.

Ask permission, people.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 10:07:08 AM »
If you want to do something nice, like leaving someone a carved pumpkin, buy the pumpkin yourself and then carve it. 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

JoieGirl7

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 10:31:54 AM »
I think the point of a prank is that its not "nice."

In the realm of pranks, I would say that this is pretty minor.

And personally, I wouldn't want any foodstuffs made out of a pumpkin that has been sitting on someone's porch.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 10:37:20 AM »
Pranks only work if you know your audience.

If I were to "prank" my neighbor by taking their lawn flamingo(for example), and painting it to look like Hermann Göring in drag and then put it back on their lawn, if they called the police I don't think "It was a prank" would get me out of a fine or worse.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

bluedahlia

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 10:43:16 AM »

And personally, I wouldn't want any foodstuffs made out of a pumpkin that has been sitting on someone's porch.

I don't think it's minor at all.  My GM had a deer made out of logs that a dear friend made for her on her front lawn for years.  Was it attractive?  Well, I didn't think so but she did and she loved it.  One morning she woke up to a bundle of wood on her front porch and a note saying she should have used it for fire wood long ago.  She cried for a week.  It's not nice, at all, and it's not a funny prank.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 10:44:42 AM »

Exactly. Which is why I don't believe they are etiquettely correct.

That doesn't make it acceptable. It's like when my friend's kid described his acts against his sister as, "I only hit her a little!" (He was 5. ) That doesn't make it OK.

So what? Like you said, that's your personal opinion. Others feel differently, including the person who stole the pumpkin, as evidenced by the fact that they indicated they were keeping the seeds.
The status is not quo!

JoieGirl7

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2011, 10:54:08 AM »

I don't think it's minor at all.  My GM had a deer made out of logs that a dear friend made for her on her front lawn for years.  Was it attractive?  Well, I didn't think so but she did and she loved it.  One morning she woke up to a bundle of wood on her front porch and a note saying she should have used it for fire wood long ago.  She cried for a week.  It's not nice, at all, and it's not a funny prank.

I think that's very different from someone carving a vegetable that you leave on your front porch.

What I saying is that carving someone's pumpkin is a minor prank.  All of these things that people are comparing it to are just not comparable in my book.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2011, 10:54:27 AM »

That's awful.  I don't think that is the same as a pumpkin, which would go bad in a week or two anyway.

I think the idea is kinda funny, but the note that was left is rude.

wheeitsme

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 11:03:20 AM »
I would think that was funny as all heck!

A lot of tricksters take people's pumpkins and smash them.  Why get upset at someone who is obviously a lot more creative.

It's a pumpkin.  A great big gourd that you leave out on the stoop to celebrate a silly holiday about tricks and treats!

What are the police going to do?  Divert their resources to find out who took your pumpkin and carved it?  Really?

It's one step down from a garden gnome.  Garden gnomes are not easily carvable--and really, if someone carved your garden gnome, that would be a lot more creepy and scary!

A garden gnome is also not something you are going to throw away like you are a pumpkin.

Why not put a candle in it and leave it out tonight.  At least it gives you an interesting story to tell.

Can we not lighten up a little bit with silly holiday like Halloween?

It's MY pumpkin.  On MY property. 

And it's a good way to make sure that there won't be any pumpkins on the porch next year. 

And I'd probably dump the carved one in the trash immediately.  Yes, I would feel vandalized and that angry.  I would not reward the vandal with keeping it.

And I'd also worry about my decorations for other holidays.  What if the vandalizer thinks that white poinsettias should be red?  Or that big inflatable ornament in my neighbor's yard should have a face? 

JoieGirl7

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 11:06:28 AM »

That doesn't make it acceptable. It's like when my friend's kid described his acts against his sister as, "I only hit her a little!" (He was 5. ) That doesn't make it OK.

I never said it was "acceptable." I just don't feel that its worthy of being "enraged" or "furious" about.  It's a vegetable!

And it has nothing at all to do with children hitting each other.

So what? Like you said, that's your personal opinion. Others feel differently, including the person who stole the pumpkin, as evidenced by the fact that they indicated they were keeping the seeds.

So?  What's your point?

We all have opinions.  I don't see how stating that ever supports someone's position.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.