Author Topic: HOW did I not think of that before??  (Read 11208 times)

Margo

Re: HOW did I not think of that before??
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2014, 07:07:15 AM »
opening jars  - running them under hot water for a short while also works - if the lid is metal, it expands slightly and makes it easier to remove. (And if you are using rubber gloves into order to get a better grip, you get to keep you hands dry, too!)

I had a slight personal mystery a little while ago - I was at my parents house and had just used their blender to make Yorkshire pudding batter. After pouring the batter into the pan to cook, I put a small amount of water and washing up liquid into the blender and ran it briefly to wash the blades. My mum commented on what a good idea it was and how she'd never thought of doing that. The mystery? I could have sworn I learned to do it from her, when I first learned to cook...) (of course, you do still have to wash it afterwards, but it gets a lot of gloop off,  so the wash becomes more of a rinse..)

Years ago, I had a roommate who would mix up dry milk in my blender, then she'd 'blend' water in it to clean it out.  I took the blender bottom off and showed her where there was milk on the rubber gasket, so that wasn't going to work at all. I've always taken the blender jar apart to wash it, and always will. 
No, it wasn't an old blender with a dry gasket.  It was a brand-new Christmas present from my family.  However, this was about 30 years ago.  Maybe blenders have changed?   I'll still take them apart to clean.
oh yes - it's not the only cleaning - more  like the first step. But it is much easier to wash it if you've given it a quick whizz with the soap in first, particularly to get the blades clean.

Tini

« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »
For anyone who's a bit nervous sticking a knife under a jar lid and who finds a spoon a bit too round and difficult to insert, a slotted salad serving spoon made from metal works very nicely. One corner of the slot fits well under most rims, but it's not too sharp, plus the shape makes for easy leverage.

These spoons are also great for hooking under ring-pull tabs. If you push down on the handle, the tip of bowl of the spoon rocks up on the top of the can, lifting the ring pull. Finally I'm no longer breaking off my thumb nails.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2014, 10:45:03 AM »
I don't like the mess that catnip makes, and just found catnip spray. I wish I had found this years ago!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »
We are not big travelers, but our family of four does manage several trips a year, ranging from 4-8 days each. The big question every trip is, where will we keep our dirty laundry? I hate leaving an unwieldy suitcase out, and I hate piling it on the floor somewhere. Our last trip, I finally thought to purchase a pop-up hamper. It is small and lightweight, holds about 4 days worth of dirties, and stores in the suitcase between trips.

The pop up hamper that we previously used for the last two years is now holding sponges (VorGuy's students had a car wash as a fund raiser - there were a lot of sponges - I stored them in the pop up mesh hamper & hung it outside to dry out).  I've found that this is the best way to store them even after they dry out, so...I knew I'd need a new hamper.

This time I bought one that hangs on a plastic over-the-door hook - it went in the bathroom, where most of the clothes changing took place. 

The clothes actually ended up in the hamper instead of on the floor in the bathroom while the hamper was in the bedroom.  Since I used the door that opened into the bedroom - it was also handy for anyone changing clothes in the bedroom. 

No laundry ended up on the floor this time.  I was amazed.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

AnnaJ

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2014, 12:15:08 AM »
This one comes from an Ehellion in another thread that I read months ago - I've forgotten the thread  :-[ but remembered  the tip:  put vinyl tile (the kind with sticky backs) on the bottom of the sink cupboard...eureka!  Just did it today, along with 'tiling' a rough shelf in another cupboard, and now have unstained, attractive surfaces I can keep clean.  :)

And thanks to whoever originally posted this tip.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2014, 09:28:30 AM »
This one comes from an Ehellion in another thread that I read months ago - I've forgotten the thread  :-[ but remembered  the tip:  put vinyl tile (the kind with sticky backs) on the bottom of the sink cupboard...eureka!  Just did it today, along with 'tiling' a rough shelf in another cupboard, and now have unstained, attractive surfaces I can keep clean.  :)

I may need to do this under where I keep my potatoes/onions/garlic.  The only thing worse than picking up the bag of potatoes and being dripped on is knowing that the nasty liquid has been soaking into your wooden shelf for who knows how long  :o

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2014, 11:50:26 AM »

I may need to do this under where I keep my potatoes/onions/garlic.  The only thing worse than picking up the bag of potatoes and being dripped on is knowing that the nasty liquid has been soaking into your wooden shelf for who knows how long  :o

I did find one drawback to the self stick tiles under the sink - a pinhole leak in the plumbing went unnoticed because the water was running out or soaking in under the tiles.

The tiles peeled up, the top layer of plywood peeled up in places, and there is a bit of a mess under there...the former water softener (where the leak was) got pulled out - but now we need a carpenter, not a plumber.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:04:20 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »
I eat at a sub sandwich shop frequently, those long bags work great for picking up dog poop, bagging up used diapers and wrapping up leftovers.

I squeeze the air out of them, kind of roll them up and I have a couple in my purse, in my desk, in my house, etc.  they take up so little space and I feel like I'm recycling something.

For dog poop I put my hand in the bag and then pick up the business with the bag and turn it wrong side out when finished, tie it off and toss it in the trash (or in my case I have a teeny chihuahua, I get to use it about three times)

hjaye

« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »
Mine was thinking of something thirty years too late to do anything about it............  :o

When I was a senior in high school my final semester was spent doing an internship at a local county courthouse.  the clerk of courts was a nice man who was chairman of one of the political parties for the state.  He liked me and appreciated the work I did as an intern.

I went on to college and I applied to a few law schools as I was getting ready to graduate, I wasn't sure where to apply so I only applied to a few, which is not the way to get into law school (unless you're a top ten percent of a very prestigious school, which I wasn't)

A few years ago I was thinking back on decisions I have made in my life that turned out to be crossroads in my life that took my life in the direction of where I am now.  Different decisions and who knows where I'd be or what I'd be doing.

I thought about the law schools I applied to, and then reflected back on the internship and the clerk of courts.  I used to drop in at the courthouse during my college years, he always remembered me and asked how I was doing.  He went on to become a judge and ended up as a judge on the state supreme court.  I thought to myself I could have asked him for help in getting into law school and I'm sure he would have given me a reference.  I also thought about how I could have gone back and asked if I could work for him during my summer breaks. 

I broke out laughing at myself.  I just never thought of doing any of those things at the time when it would have mattered.  It took me thirty years to realize, why didn't I think of that before?     

Thankfully I have a good life, it's not really a regret, it just took me a long while to realize what I could have done.

staceym

« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2014, 02:01:21 PM »
I eat at a sub sandwich shop frequently, those long bags work great for picking up dog poop, bagging up used diapers and wrapping up leftovers.

I squeeze the air out of them, kind of roll them up and I have a couple in my purse, in my desk, in my house, etc.  they take up so little space and I feel like I'm recycling something.

For dog poop I put my hand in the bag and then pick up the business with the bag and turn it wrong side out when finished, tie it off and toss it in the trash (or in my case I have a teeny chihuahua, I get to use it about three times)

I also use the plastic bags you get to put your produce in at the grocery store and, in my area, the plastic that the Sunday paper comes in and use your same process for picking up  :D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »
Around here, liquor stores pack single bottles in rather long, narrow plastic bags.  These bags are the perfect size to pack a pair of shoes when traveling. 

mandycorn

« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »
opening jars  - running them under hot water for a short while also works - if the lid is metal, it expands slightly and makes it easier to remove. (And if you are using rubber gloves into order to get a better grip, you get to keep you hands dry, too!)

I had a slight personal mystery a little while ago - I was at my parents house and had just used their blender to make Yorkshire pudding batter. After pouring the batter into the pan to cook, I put a small amount of water and washing up liquid into the blender and ran it briefly to wash the blades. My mum commented on what a good idea it was and how she'd never thought of doing that. The mystery? I could have sworn I learned to do it from her, when I first learned to cook...) (of course, you do still have to wash it afterwards, but it gets a lot of gloop off,  so the wash becomes more of a rinse..)

I have a very similar personal mystery. I would have sworn I learned this tip from my mom, but she was surprised the first time she saw me do it, so now I don't know where I would have picked it up.

Anyway, my tip is for putting a fitted sheet on a mattress. Assuming the corners of the bed are numbered 1-4 working clockwise around from the top, I put the sheet on tucking in corner 1, then 3, then 4, then 2. That way, I'm always pulling diagonally across the bed to tighten things up and don't wind up with it pulled too tightly on one side and not fitted on the other.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2014, 05:57:45 PM »
Where the heck did my roll of packing tape disappear to?  I swore I saw it in the kitchen drawer the other day, but when I went to get it this morning, poof,  gone.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2014, 10:41:27 PM »
We are not big travelers, but our family of four does manage several trips a year, ranging from 4-8 days each. The big question every trip is, where will we keep our dirty laundry? I hate leaving an unwieldy suitcase out, and I hate piling it on the floor somewhere. Our last trip, I finally thought to purchase a pop-up hamper. It is small and lightweight, holds about 4 days worth of dirties, and stores in the suitcase between trips.

We always make sure to put one of those trash can liners that can be tied shut in our suitcase.  Since we almost always drive on our trips, that can be tossed into the trunk or put into the almost empty suitcase for the trip home.  (If we forget, there's usually one or two in the car.)

Jocelyn

« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2014, 11:50:32 PM »
The rubbery thing works, but I don't have the grip. The Oxo opener grips well and gives me the leverage I need.

The warm water on the metal lid doesn't always work, I agree, and I ruined a knife trying to pop the seal, so I have used a special tool that uses the top of the lid for leverage, but that has bent the lid so I don't like that.

Yup. Sticking with the Oxo tool.

My sister found me one of these at a garage sale. 
http://www.sears.com/black-decker-lids-off-automatic-white-jar-opener/p-00868647000P
It works great on most jars (some are too big), and saves my poor old decrepit hands. 

I've also used the 'use a spool to break the seal' trick, and I have a whole collection of those rubber jar opener things. They're usually freebies from fair booths, advertising some place or other.  I have a pile of them.
I've always been afraid to try turning the jar over and smacking it on the counter.  I'm very strong and afraid of smashing the jar.  (yeah, strong overall, with weak hands.  Go figure)
Oh. My. Word. Price on that has gone up a LOT since I bought one for my mom. Fortunately, she regifted it to me when she went into an assisted living facility. I'd previously given her one that bolted onto the bottom of an upper cabinet, but she could no longer use it because she couldn't hold the jar tightly enough to keep it stationery.