Author Topic: HOW did I not think of that before??  (Read 11634 times)

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Re: HOW did I not think of that before??
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 01:02:45 PM »
Just posting to subscribe.  I like learning new tricks!
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

heartmug

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »
One lady I know with several younger children uses this trick:  One bucket of warm/hot soapy water & a washcloth for each child.  Give damp washcloth to each child & have a contest to see who can bring their rag back the dirtiest in (set time, say 5 or 10 minutes).  The one who brings back the dirtiest rag is the winner & gets a prize, like a small snack treat.

Sorry...what are they using it on? Themselves? The walls/furniture?

Or is this for washing the car?
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

EmsMommy

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 01:18:42 PM »
One lady I know with several younger children uses this trick:  One bucket of warm/hot soapy water & a washcloth for each child.  Give damp washcloth to each child & have a contest to see who can bring their rag back the dirtiest in (set time, say 5 or 10 minutes).  The one who brings back the dirtiest rag is the winner & gets a prize, like a small snack treat.

Oops!  Forgot to include the use.   :-[  She sent them around the house with the washrags, wipe down tables, toys, chairs, shelves, running boards...basically anything within their reach in the house that they could wipe down & clean.

turtleIScream

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 02:26:15 PM »

Oops!  Forgot to include the use.   :-[  She sent them around the house with the washrags, wipe down tables, toys, chairs, shelves, running boards...basically anything within their reach in the house that they could wipe down & clean.

Except I know my son would decide to "clean" the planters full of potting soil. Sigh.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »

Except I know my son would decide to "clean" the planters full of potting soil. Sigh.

Yes, but you could deduct points for willful failure to consider reasonable intent. 
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

deadbody

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 02:28:33 PM »

Seems like someone found the loophole.  Also you would have really clean pots :)

Aggiesque

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »
(2) I always hit the lid several times against the wood counter, but I also take the jar in hand and hit the bottom of the jar a couiple of times with the heel of my hand. You can actually feel it affect the pressure in the jar.

I use the handle of my heavy butter knives to loosen them; bang the edge of the lid 5 or 6 times.

Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »
For opening vacuum-sealed jars, my friend takes the edge of a spoon handle and inserts it between the lid and the jar.  This breaks the seal without damaging the lid.

A simply can-opener (the manual kind) works quite well. They're strong, and give you leverage.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2011, 03:21:43 PM »
For opening vacuum-sealed jars, my friend takes the edge of a spoon handle and inserts it between the lid and the jar.  This breaks the seal without damaging the lid.

A simply can-opener (the manual kind) works quite well. They're strong, and give you leverage.
I'm going to buy some sauerkraut today so I can try it!  (Ummmmm- Reuben sandwiches with sauerkraut)
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
bags for picking up Doggie "leftovers" also work well for baby diapers- and I see dog ones on clearance ALL THE TIME. I keep a roll in my diaper bag for stinky diapers when we are out-and-about. I use grocery/produce bags at home for stinky diapers. Wet diapers have never smelled to me unless they are more than 24hrs old and the ammonia has started to break down, or the child is dehydrated.

my mom has some, um, potty issues so to put it delicately, uses products designed to prevent leakage in adults (not diapers but similar)  What she did was buy a box of plastic bags at Costco; the kind stores use, and puts her stuff in there and ties it up each times she goes.  The box was cheap eanough, and 11 months later, she's still got plenty!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2014, 12:00:56 PM »
So I found out last night that I somehow managed to score tickets to Antiques Roadshow in NYC in a couple of weeks. I live in NJ though, and do not drive into NYC, ever, and never will. The issue though, is that our entrance time is 8am, on a Sat, when mass transit runs later. Ugh.

I really don't want to drive in, alhtough I've been assured since its at the Javits Center, its easy. So our one option, possibly was a 5:30 am train in. On a Sat. Ugh. my friend who's going with me starts work that early, so the early hour is only bad for me. but I'd do it.

Then a friend, who is clueless and flaky said, why don't you take a car in? AHA - yes, it will cost some $$, but totally worth it, in my eyes. I don't know why that didn't occur to me!

mw8242

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2014, 12:45:30 PM »
^^ You can also drive into Hoboken or Harrison(better parking options) and take the Path into midtown. Then grab a taxi or walk over if you really don't want to drive. Path runs all night/day. Although that early in the morning getting into the city won't be bad and Javits isn't too much in the main part of crazy :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2014, 12:55:26 PM »
^^ You can also drive into Hoboken or Harrison(better parking options) and take the Path into midtown. Then grab a taxi or walk over if you really don't want to drive. Path runs all night/day. Although that early in the morning getting into the city won't be bad and Javits isn't too much in the main part of crazy :)

True. my friend mentioned Harrison. Esp since the car is $150 one way. i just don't have a clue how to get there, and am not good driving where i don't know the area. I'm not concerned with getting in, but getting out. I am a wussy driver so driving in the city gives me anxiety. but we shall see. worst case, we get up REALLY early and take the 5:15 am train in from where i am.

mamakinz

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2014, 01:37:46 PM »
^^the other train option is driving to seacaucus junction. It's really easy to get to and park at. That's our plan every time we go to the city. And the Javitz center is a quick sale from where the train takes you to.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2014, 02:10:15 PM »
^^the other train option is driving to seacaucus junction. It's really easy to get to and park at. That's our plan every time we go to the city. And the Javitz center is a quick sale from where the train takes you to.

After considering all the options, i think we've decided on the early train from her town. We're out in Morris County. While we could find our way elsewhere, neither one of us is good at finding new places "on the fly" when there is a time constraint. So while the train is early early, its about a 15 minute drive at that time to her place, and then 2 blocks to the station. We can doze on the train, and get coffee once in NYC.