Author Topic: HOW did I not think of that before??  (Read 10903 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: HOW did I not think of that before??
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »
Also when driving we like to Drive through the Lincoln Tunnel and come up right into the Port Authority Parking Deck. No driving in NYC.
ALso driving to Secaucus and taking a train from there (they come like every 15 min) is also a good strategy.

But if you are going on a work day, I think train is the way to go.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2014, 03:30:32 PM »
Also when driving we like to Drive through the Lincoln Tunnel and come up right into the Port Authority Parking Deck. No driving in NYC.
ALso driving to Secaucus and taking a train from there (they come like every 15 min) is also a good strategy.

But if you are going on a work day, I think train is the way to go.

It's actually a Saturday, which is half the problem. Trains, buses etc run later and not as often. But we can do the train locally. Yes, its early, but not that bad. Well, maybe for me who doesn't do mornings well, but I can suck it up.

Kaypeep

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »
Oooh, I'll be working at Antiques Roadshow at the Javitz!  I have to be there from 6 am to 6 pm, and live in Westchester.  I'll be driving in, only because of the time frame.  Have fun and good luck!

Miss Understood

« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2014, 04:55:02 PM »
Did you ever notice that most aluminum foil / Saran Wrap / waxed paper rolls have little push-in tabs on the ends of the boxes?  If you push those tabs in, the roll stays in place and doesn't fall out of the box when you try to unroll some paper!

I'm embarrassed to say I never noticed this until someone on eHell mentioned it a while back  :P

Me either!  Thanks for that!

I did not know that.  Thank you for sharing that illumination on one who has used the things for decades, but just now went and looked, and said "Honey, did you know there are 'push tabs" on these things?"  He didn't either (we both cook), so you have a two-fer on the "how did I not know that" and double thanks!

I didn't either (and I doubt DH does as we have the roll-falling-out-of the box problem).  Thank you!

Miss Understood

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2014, 05:05:49 PM »
This isn't a practical "lightbulb" moment like the others but it still fits the title thread:  a few days ago I was wondering aloud what the name of the shopping street in Harry Potter was, and DH said "it's Diagon Alley - you know, like diagonally."  Oh.  Right.  Did not realize that.   :-[

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2014, 07:58:55 PM »
This isn't a practical "lightbulb" moment like the others but it still fits the title thread:  a few days ago I was wondering aloud what the name of the shopping street in Harry Potter was, and DH said "it's Diagon Alley - you know, like diagonally."  Oh.  Right.  Did not realize that.   :-[

And the bad street is Knockturn Alley -- nocturnally. :)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2014, 09:18:12 PM »

And the bad street is Knockturn Alley -- nocturnally. :)

oh my lord!

Minmom3

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2014, 11:25:27 PM »
Did you ever notice that most aluminum foil / Saran Wrap / waxed paper rolls have little push-in tabs on the ends of the boxes?  If you push those tabs in, the roll stays in place and doesn't fall out of the box when you try to unroll some paper!

I'm embarrassed to say I never noticed this until someone on eHell mentioned it a while back  :P

Why, oh why, could you have not posted this Saturday, BEFORE my roll fell out of the box right into the goopy mixture for making popcorn balls?

Snicker....

At Christmas, I was putting the salt container (the big cardboard one from the market) back in the cupboard after measuring some out for the pumpkin pie I was making.  Except, the damned thing slipped out of my hand and INTO the bowl of pie mix.  I got it out really fast, and thank heaven the outside of the salt canister was clean (and new!) so the pie mix wasn't ruined, and the mix didn't ruin the new salt canister.  But, boy howdy, did I feel stupid for being fumble fingers McGhee.....   ::)  Let alone having to clean up the splash zone!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

gmatoy

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2014, 01:29:06 AM »
You know how sometimes plastics (like Tupperware) will get a coat of tacky/sticky stuff? (Usually grease.) Well, spray it with Windex and wait a minute or two. Then wipe it off and Whoa! Usually like new! If not do a second spray. After it is nice again, wash it in hot soapy water and rinse well.

Sometimes you see a plastic piece for sale at a thrift store or yard sale; however, someone wrote their name on it in permanent marker. Go ahead and buy it. Get home and take a whiteboard marker and go over the permanent marker. Take a rag or paper towel and wipe off both markers. You may have to do it two or three times, but it will come off.

Permanent marker on the whiteboard? Use the same ^ idea! (I have several times cleaned off whiteboards in classrooms where I am subbing.)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2014, 12:05:27 PM »
I just use rubber gloves, the kind you wear for washing dishes, to open stubborn jars.  It's a trick I learned reading Ann Landers or Dear Abby, meant for people with arthritic hands to give them a better grip.  Works like a charm.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2014, 12:27:05 PM »
I tap the lids on counters. It's how my clarinet teacher got my instrument apart when it wouldn't come apart..

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »
My plastic wrap and foil do not have push tabs :(
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »
My plastic wrap and foil do not have push tabs :(
Well, then take a knife or scissors and cut some!  A big U would do just fine.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

JoW

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »
The easy way to open a jar or bottle - anything with a screw cap - is to use a Jar Wrench.
http://www.kitchenandcompany.com/kitchen-tools/can-openers-jar-openers/_/Norpro-Jar-Wrench?tc=gfs13&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Norpro%20Jar%20Wrench&gclid=CLvT7Kru0b8CFQMT7AodmQEADg

I've never been able to get any of those other methods to work. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »
Oooh, I'll be working at Antiques Roadshow at the Javitz!  I have to be there from 6 am to 6 pm, and live in Westchester.  I'll be driving in, only because of the time frame.  Have fun and good luck!

Thanks! I'm having a dilemma since I didn't think I was going. When I checked to see if I'd win the ticket lottery, it says no. But the tickets showed up in the mail the other day! So I suspect it was a glitch. My dilemma is I don't have much to take! Had I known earlier I would have brought something home from my moms. I have some jewelry and mom is sending me an item. Very excited!