Author Topic: HOW did I not think of that before??  (Read 11255 times)

savve

HOW did I not think of that before??
« on: October 31, 2011, 06:26:40 AM »
A few years ago I stayed in the US for about a year. One of the things I learned about and got to love was Halloween :) I loved pumpkin carving, dress up and everything, so when Halloween became popular at home I was so happy, because it meant I could get pumpkins and make lanterns here at home as well, YAY!

Well, I carve at least one lantern every year, and up to now I've always used votive candles in them. But they have short burntime, just few hours, and any gust of wind will blow them out. And a lantern without light is just sad. This year however I bought a grave candle for my pumpkin, and I'm asking myself why on earth didn't I think of this before? They are meant for outdoor use unlike the votives, they burn for the whole day, aaand being grave candles, totally appropriate for Halloween!  ;D Other people who have stumbled upon totally obvious solutions to problems that have been bugging you for a long time?  :D

CakeEater

Re: HOW did I not think of that before??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
My toddler loves watching Sesame Street, and I want to get things done on the computer, so I set up two windows, and have them each take up half the screen. Youtube fits on the left side, and whatever I'm doing usually fits on the right side, and I can entertain her while I'm sending an email, or reading ehell! Ehell actually resizes itself to fit in an oddly sized window, so it's nice and easy to read. Thanks ehell!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »
Did you ever notice that most aluminum foil / Saran Wrap / waxed paper rolls have little push-in tabs on the ends of the boxes?  If you push those tabs in, the roll stays in place and doesn't fall out of the box when you try to unroll some paper!

I'm embarrassed to say I never noticed this until someone on eHell mentioned it a while back  :P

sevenday

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:05:30 PM »
For me the pumpkin problem was solved with LED lights or the little battery-powered "fake" candles they sell these days.  Some years back my dad took to drilling a hole in the back of the pumpkin once it was carved, and then fed a couple of Christmas lights, the little LED bulb ones, through the hole, then used the remaining lights to decorate the area around where the pumpkins were. (3 pumpkins) Solved the issue of the candles, and you could get some pretty cool light effects using the ones that blinked, plus the fact they were multicolored.  I asked him once how he knew they wouldn't get set on fire or something, and he said he was pretty careful not to leave the bulb itself touching the inner surface of the pumpkin; if a small votive candle didn't set fire to a pumpkin by atmospheric heat, then an LED wouldn't either.  Five years of this and we never had an issue. 

yokozbornak

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »
Did you ever notice that most aluminum foil / Saran Wrap / waxed paper rolls have little push-in tabs on the ends of the boxes?  If you push those tabs in, the roll stays in place and doesn't fall out of the box when you try to unroll some paper!

I'm embarrassed to say I never noticed this until someone on eHell mentioned it a while back  :P

Me either!  Thanks for that!

My daughters were always afraid of automatic flush toilets and it made going to the potyy traumatic when we were out and about.  Solution?  Bring some Post-It notes and cover the sensor until they are finished and out of the stall.   

buvezdevin

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:56:32 PM »

Me either!  Thanks for that!

I did not know that.  Thank you for sharing that illumination on one who has used the things for decades, but just now went and looked, and said "Honey, did you know there are 'push tabs" on these things?"  He didn't either (we both cook), so you have a two-fer on the "how did I not know that" and double thanks!
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Oh Joy

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »
I've been thinking about posting a thread of the same theme!

1)  I was perpetually unsatisfied with the wattage of the light down the bedroom hallway; it was either too bright for late-night diaper changes or too dim for cleaning.  We installed a dimmer switch and put the brightest possible safe bulb in it.

2)  Some of our common grocery items leak in the fridge upon thawing, making a mess.  I found a clear plastic bowl in the cupboard that fits one of the shelves perfectly, and it now is the place to put anything that might leak.  It's easy to pull out and rinse out as needed.

Sigh...why didn't I do this long ago?

turtleIScream

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 09:46:30 PM »

Why, oh why, could you have not posted this Saturday, BEFORE my roll fell out of the box right into the goopy mixture for making popcorn balls?
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

aka

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 10:43:53 PM »
You know how when you buy deodorants, there is a plastic barrier on top?  Well the brand I bought as a teenager said "twist up to open" or something similar.  So what did I do?  I grasped the plastic barrier and tried to twist it until it popped off.  Years later while in college I realized that you were supposed to twist the deodorant up until you could easily lift the plastic off.

I graduated from college summa cum laude ....

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »
You know how when you buy deodorants, there is a plastic barrier on top?  Well the brand I bought as a teenager said "twist up to open" or something similar.  So what did I do?  I grasped the plastic barrier and tried to twist it until it popped off.  Years later while in college I realized that you were supposed to twist the deodorant up until you could easily lift the plastic off.

I graduated from college summa cum laude ....

I'm 29 years old and I just figured this out a few months ago.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 07:30:40 AM »

::running to look at wrap boxes now.......

Well DANG!!  What a great idea!!  Thanks for sharing!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

EngineerChick

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 08:13:37 AM »
The big blue bags from IKEA (you can buy for ~89 cents), which are good for carrying home purchases from IKEA...work even better when carrying in groceries or shopping from the car to the apartment.  They work well for bulky items, like multi-packs of toilet paper, but can also carry ~40 pounds without ripping. 

It just took me a little while after getting these bags to realize that I could use them for carrying other things.  (I had been using them to store recycling.0
Talk nerdy to me.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 09:23:40 AM »

I remember finding out about that on ehell.  I was also very grateful.  No more wrap or foil tumbling out of the box and rolling across the kitchen floor!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 09:25:34 AM »
I've been thinking about posting a thread of the same theme!

1)  I was perpetually unsatisfied with the wattage of the light down the bedroom hallway; it was either too bright for late-night diaper changes or too dim for cleaning.  We installed a dimmer switch and put the brightest possible safe bulb in it.

2)  Some of our common grocery items leak in the fridge upon thawing, making a mess.  I found a clear plastic bowl in the cupboard that fits one of the shelves perfectly, and it now is the place to put anything that might leak.  It's easy to pull out and rinse out as needed.

Sigh...why didn't I do this long ago?
good idea.  I put all leakers in produce plastic bags so they don't mess up the fridge.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 09:33:49 AM »
You know that rubbery stuff for lining shelves, that has almost a small basket weave pattern?  Well some genius cut that stuff in circles as an aid to removing lids from jars.  Works like a charm, although I can NEVER get the darned lid off of the sauerkraut I buy  if my husband isn't there to take it off.  I have to poke a hole in the lid to release the seal, then put a piece of plastic wrap as a barrier between the lid and the jar.  (It's not cut to fit the inside of the lid, but sticks out all around the lid so it doesn't get lost in the sauerkraut if I forget it is there and just dump it into the pot or fry pan.)  I love sauerkraut. 

This stuff.  http://www.stacksandstacks.com/shelf-liner-grip-it
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:35:32 AM by Bijou »