Author Topic: HOW did I not think of that before??  (Read 10790 times)

glinda

Re: HOW did I not think of that before??
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 10:12:57 AM »
If it is a metal lid, I run hot water over it sometimes.

I use the Oxo opener for wine jugs, large OJ jugs as well as just about everything else now.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Jar-Opener/dp/B00004OCIV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320239545&sr=8-2

I just read the reviews and was shocked. I have had no trouble with it in 7 years.

I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Jar-Opener/dp/B00004OCIV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320239545&sr=8-2

and it works like a charm.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 11:12:29 AM »
You know that rubbery stuff for lining shelves, that has almost a small basket weave pattern?  Well some genius cut that stuff in circles as an aid to removing lids from jars.  Works like a charm, although I can NEVER get the darned lid off of the sauerkraut I buy  if my husband isn't there to take it off.  I have to poke a hole in the lid to release the seal, then put a piece of plastic wrap as a barrier between the lid and the jar.  (It's not cut to fit the inside of the lid, but sticks out all around the lid so it doesn't get lost in the sauerkraut if I forget it is there and just dump it into the pot or fry pan.)  I love sauerkraut. 

This stuff.  http://www.stacksandstacks.com/shelf-liner-grip-it

I've never heard of that! I just hit the jar lid on a table a couple of times, and that loosens it for me.
I've tried that and also running hot water over the metal lid but it doesn't always work.  The rubbery thing works like a charm, though. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:14:06 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »
I can't remember where I read this, but it was a few years ago. I wish I would have figured it out long before.

When carving Halloween pumpkins, instead of cutting off the top and scooping out the guts, we now cut a large hole in the bottom. This solves two problems:

1. No more problems with the top falling in if you don't angle the cuts right.

2. No more burned fingers trying to light a candle inside a pumpkin! We light the candle, set it on the porch, then set the pumpkin over top of it.

Nice!  I need to remember this for next year.  My pumpkin top shrinks due to the candle heat and dehydration and I'm always trying to secure it with toothpicks.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 11:41:13 AM »
The rubbery thing works, but I don't have the grip. The Oxo opener grips well and gives me the leverage I need.

The warm water on the metal lid doesn't always work, I agree, and I ruined a knife trying to pop the seal, so I have used a special tool that uses the top of the lid for leverage, but that has bent the lid so I don't like that.

Yup. Sticking with the Oxo tool.

Amara

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
Another couple of ideas for opening lids:

(1) If your jar is the right size, cut an old tennis ball in half, then put one half on top of the lid. The rubber will stick to the lid and it can be easy to twist.

(2) I always hit the lid several times against the wood counter, but I also take the jar in hand and hit the bottom of the jar a couiple of times with the heel of my hand. You can actually feel it affect the pressure in the jar.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 01:05:28 PM »
For opening vacuum-sealed jars, my friend takes the edge of a spoon handle and inserts it between the lid and the jar.  This breaks the seal without damaging the lid. 
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
You know those rolls of clear packaging tape, that come with or without teeth cutters on them? the rolls that are about 1" wide, and are used to tape up boxes?
Well, when doing my last batch of box-taping, I saw how after cutting the edge would flutter off and stick to the roll again, making it a PITA to remove. So I decided to stick the fresh cut edge to another box or scrap paper. This roll didn't have the holder plastic to hold the tape in place, it was pure loose tape. Duh, secure the sticky edge!

Or fold the end of the tape over sticky-side to sticky-side  ;)

This also works well with duct tape, masking tape, electrical tape . . .

BarensMom

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 02:24:23 PM »
That rubbery weave shelf liner may work to open jars, but they sure don't stick on my shelves.

amylouky

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 02:28:36 PM »
My daughters were always afraid of automatic flush toilets and it made going to the potyy traumatic when we were out and about.  Solution?  Bring some Post-It notes and cover the sensor until they are finished and out of the stall.

Ah! You're a genius! I've been battling this with my 4-yo, he's terrified of those things.
Thank you!! (off to steal some post-its from work now..)

heartmug

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »
My husband's name brand shaving gel, that is his favorite, would leave a ring on the bathroon shelf from the bottom of the can (a rust ring).  I took the plastic lid from a Pringles(potato chip) can and put in on the bottom of the shaving cream.  No more ring.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 03:12:18 PM »
Another couple of ideas for opening lids:

(1) If your jar is the right size, cut an old tennis ball in half, then put one half on top of the lid. The rubber will stick to the lid and it can be easy to twist.

(2) I always hit the lid several times against the wood counter, but I also take the jar in hand and hit the bottom of the jar a couiple of times with the heel of my hand. You can actually feel it affect the pressure in the jar.

If your jar is too big or small for the tennis ball, a pair of rubber bands works too. One around the lid, one around the jar or pop bottle. It works particularly well if you have a husband who forgets that he doesn't have to close the bottle more tightly than the seal it came with from the factory.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

AnnaT

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 11:11:52 PM »
My husband's name brand shaving gel, that is his favorite, would leave a ring on the bathroon shelf from the bottom of the can (a rust ring).  I took the plastic lid from a Pringles(potato chip) can and put in on the bottom of the shaving cream.  No more ring.

Mine does the same but I just have it turned upside down in the shower - the one I use for arms and legs - no beard as yet ;)

snowfire

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 12:03:18 AM »
I just use the strap wrench for jars.  I don't have a great grip anymore and they work like a charm.  Don't mar the lids either.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945570000P

EmsMommy

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »
One lady I know with several younger children uses this trick:  One bucket of warm/hot soapy water & a washcloth for each child.  Give damp washcloth to each child & have a contest to see who can bring their rag back the dirtiest in (set time, say 5 or 10 minutes).  The one who brings back the dirtiest rag is the winner & gets a prize, like a small snack treat.

Pinky830

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 01:01:02 PM »
One lady I know with several younger children uses this trick:  One bucket of warm/hot soapy water & a washcloth for each child.  Give damp washcloth to each child & have a contest to see who can bring their rag back the dirtiest in (set time, say 5 or 10 minutes).  The one who brings back the dirtiest rag is the winner & gets a prize, like a small snack treat.

Sorry...what are they using it on? Themselves? The walls/furniture?