Author Topic: HOW did I not think of that before??  (Read 10569 times)

Library Dragon

Re: HOW did I not think of that before??
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »
We had hot pink, hard sided luggage.  During the 2010 Christmas Blizzard when we camped a LaGuardia airport we had to get our bags, recheck our bags, reclaim our bags, etc., it made it very easy to spot our luggage in a sea of black bags.

One of my favorite convention give aways is the luggage tag made with my laminated business card on one side and books in multiple languages on the other.  I went, 'Huh! Smart!' and switched all the luggage tag inserts to my business card.  My home address isn't flashed around and if a bag needs to be delivered someone is at the library many times when I'm not home. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

oogyda

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2014, 06:13:36 PM »
Instead of paying for luggage tags, we buy a roll of unusual printed duct tape and put a small piece attached to itself on the strap of each of our bags. The current one is blue with bacon strips on it and says I love bacon on it.

http://www.duckbrand.com/index.php/products/duck-tape/printed-duck-tape/1340?swatch=true

I get this for quickly picking out your luggage amidst an endless flood of luggage, but it's still a good idea to have your name and contact information easily accessible to those who may be handling it. 

It's also a good idea to have that information inside the luggage.  Oogydh has been "saved" by that little piece of advice at least once.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »
Instead of paying for luggage tags, we buy a roll of unusual printed duct tape and put a small piece attached to itself on the strap of each of our bags. The current one is blue with bacon strips on it and says I love bacon on it.

http://www.duckbrand.com/index.php/products/duck-tape/printed-duck-tape/1340?swatch=true
You still need a tag with your destination on it, in case it gets lost. Unless you are traveling with my family then it is when it gets lost.

We used to just have Dad's business address on the tags. Then it got lost, and sent back to Houston on our way to PEI. The airline refused to send it to us because they had already returned it. So Dad had to pay for it to be shipped to us on the Island. After that we always put our destination on the tag.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »
Honestly, unless flying or on a cruise ship, we've never put our destination on luggage. Just the pre-printed tags. The luggage does have a business card inside.

katycoo

« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »
You know that rubbery stuff for lining shelves, that has almost a small basket weave pattern?  Well some genius cut that stuff in circles as an aid to removing lids from jars.  Works like a charm, although I can NEVER get the darned lid off of the sauerkraut I buy  if my husband isn't there to take it off.  I have to poke a hole in the lid to release the seal, then put a piece of plastic wrap as a barrier between the lid and the jar.  (It's not cut to fit the inside of the lid, but sticks out all around the lid so it doesn't get lost in the sauerkraut if I forget it is there and just dump it into the pot or fry pan.)  I love sauerkraut. 

This stuff.  http://www.stacksandstacks.com/shelf-liner-grip-it
Two tricks to try for getting hard to get off lids off:

*  you can actually slide the point of a knife between the glass of the jar and the lid (so going up the glass to the bottom of the lid - hold the jar upside down) - this will break the seal (but not the lid) and you can open safely.

*  if you turn the jar over and thump the lid firmly against the bench (I normally use a wooden chopping block) in several locations around the rim, this will also help loosen the vacuum and get the lid off.

One or the other of these has helped me get the lids of countless jars - no man hands needed!

Way safer than a knife is a bottle opener.  You can use them on jar lids exactly the same way until the seal pops up.

JoW

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »
You know that rubbery stuff for lining shelves, that has almost a small basket weave pattern?  Well some genius cut that stuff in circles as an aid to removing lids from jars.  Works like a charm, although I can NEVER get the darned lid off of the sauerkraut I buy  if my husband isn't there to take it off.  I have to poke a hole in the lid to release the seal, then put a piece of plastic wrap as a barrier between the lid and the jar.  (It's not cut to fit the inside of the lid, but sticks out all around the lid so it doesn't get lost in the sauerkraut if I forget it is there and just dump it into the pot or fry pan.)  I love sauerkraut. 

This stuff.  http://www.stacksandstacks.com/shelf-liner-grip-it
Two tricks to try for getting hard to get off lids off:

*  you can actually slide the point of a knife between the glass of the jar and the lid (so going up the glass to the bottom of the lid - hold the jar upside down) - this will break the seal (but not the lid) and you can open safely.

*  if you turn the jar over and thump the lid firmly against the bench (I normally use a wooden chopping block) in several locations around the rim, this will also help loosen the vacuum and get the lid off.

One or the other of these has helped me get the lids of countless jars - no man hands needed!

Way safer than a knife is a bottle opener.  You can use them on jar lids exactly the same way until the seal pops up.
Get a Jar Wrench  http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP1003-Canning-Jar-Wrench/dp/B001DLRH2Y
I've never had any luck with the grippy things.  And I've never encountered a screw cap I couldn't open with my Jar Wrench. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2014, 11:54:38 PM »

I get this for quickly picking out your luggage amidst an endless flood of luggage, but it's still a good idea to have your name and contact information easily accessible to those who may be handling it. 

It's also a good idea to have that information inside the luggage.  Oogydh has been "saved" by that little piece of advice at least once.

If flying many airlines require a name tag.  One actually required we match the luggage per passenger.  DH's had to have his info, not my name.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Ms Aspasia

« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2014, 12:07:26 AM »
Did you ever notice that most aluminum foil / Saran Wrap / waxed paper rolls have little push-in tabs on the ends of the boxes?  If you push those tabs in, the roll stays in place and doesn't fall out of the box when you try to unroll some paper!

I'm embarrassed to say I never noticed this until someone on eHell mentioned it a while back  :P

Me either!  Thanks for that!

I did not know that.  Thank you for sharing that illumination on one who has used the things for decades, but just now went and looked, and said "Honey, did you know there are 'push tabs" on these things?"  He didn't either (we both cook), so you have a two-fer on the "how did I not know that" and double thanks!

I didn't either (and I doubt DH does as we have the roll-falling-out-of the box problem).  Thank you!

Even with the tabs pushed in, VorGuy pulls so hard and crookedly that it pops off one tab and then comes out of the box anyway.

We have one roll of "professional" plastic wrap that comes out of a curved slit in the top of the box - he's managed, somehow, to pull the plastic wrap out of the box on it, too. 

It seems to be my destiny to wrap leftovers, as he snarls the plastic wrap, rips the waxed paper in odd shapes, or gets the foil to roll along the floor while trying to dispense it.
I'm in another country, so surely our rolls don't...oh.  :)
Thanks!

Gyburc

« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2014, 04:23:00 AM »
You know how when you buy deodorants, there is a plastic barrier on top?  Well the brand I bought as a teenager said "twist up to open" or something similar.  So what did I do?  I grasped the plastic barrier and tried to twist it until it popped off.  Years later while in college I realized that you were supposed to twist the deodorant up until you could easily lift the plastic off.

I graduated from college summa cum laude ....

I'm 29 years old and I just figured this out a few months ago.

I'm 40 years old and can write PhD after my name. I never, ever figured this out, and have wrestled with getting those wretched plastic shields off every time I get a new deodorant. For decades.

Thank you!  :)

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Margo

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
opening jars  - running them under hot water for a short while also works - if the lid is metal, it expands slightly and makes it easier to remove. (And if you are using rubber gloves into order to get a better grip, you get to keep you hands dry, too!)

I had a slight personal mystery a little while ago - I was at my parents house and had just used their blender to make Yorkshire pudding batter. After pouring the batter into the pan to cook, I put a small amount of water and washing up liquid into the blender and ran it briefly to wash the blades. My mum commented on what a good idea it was and how she'd never thought of doing that. The mystery? I could have sworn I learned to do it from her, when I first learned to cook...) (of course, you do still have to wash it afterwards, but it gets a lot of gloop off,  so the wash becomes more of a rinse..)

parrot_girl

« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2014, 07:59:41 AM »
I don't know if I read it here or elsewhere, but anyway:
I had a bumper harvest of garlic this past summer, and it was all hanging up in the shed, nicely cured and ready for me to use. Except that it had succumbed to time and nature and was in the process of sprouting. What to do? I didn't want to waste all that lovely home grown garlic!
And then I read that if I peeled the cloves, and froze them in a ziploc baggie, I'd still have all my garlic and it'd be ready to use and any sprouting behaviour would be stopped in its tracks.
I went "Oh, of COURSE!" and promptly brought all the remaining garlic inside and peeled it all and froze it all. My hands could have fended off Dracula and all his sparkly minions no trouble, afterwards, mind you. :)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2014, 09:11:58 AM »
opening jars  - running them under hot water for a short while also works - if the lid is metal, it expands slightly and makes it easier to remove. (And if you are using rubber gloves into order to get a better grip, you get to keep you hands dry, too!)

I had a slight personal mystery a little while ago - I was at my parents house and had just used their blender to make Yorkshire pudding batter. After pouring the batter into the pan to cook, I put a small amount of water and washing up liquid into the blender and ran it briefly to wash the blades. My mum commented on what a good idea it was and how she'd never thought of doing that. The mystery? I could have sworn I learned to do it from her, when I first learned to cook...) (of course, you do still have to wash it afterwards, but it gets a lot of gloop off,  so the wash becomes more of a rinse..)

Years ago, I had a roommate who would mix up dry milk in my blender, then she'd 'blend' water in it to clean it out.  I took the blender bottom off and showed her where there was milk on the rubber gasket, so that wasn't going to work at all. I've always taken the blender jar apart to wash it, and always will. 
No, it wasn't an old blender with a dry gasket.  It was a brand-new Christmas present from my family.  However, this was about 30 years ago.  Maybe blenders have changed?   I'll still take them apart to clean.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2014, 09:36:29 AM »
If I am going to make another batch of something similar - like pancake batter after I finish making waffles for a large group, I may not bother to even rinse the blender between batches.

I would rinse if I was making vanilla smoothies after strawberry smoothies (probably) - especially if there was anyone who just didn't like strawberries (anything is possible). 

I'd take it apart & run everything possible through the dishwasher and use soap & hot water on the blades & gasket if I was through until the next meal...  When we got married, VorGuy had been running hot soapy water through the blender, rinsing it out, and calling it "clean".  Until the first time I took it apart and found what can only be described as a build up of thick yukky gunk in the base after something "didn't taste right".

I've decided that anything that can go through the dishwasher is going to go through the dishwasher, as I am a lot more complacent about things being clean and germs being dead (if only from the heat and bleach).  A little scrubbing to remove food residue before starting the dishwasher keeps "stuff" from baking on.  Having the filter from the exhaust fan over the stove does wonders to keep it clean (usually it's made from a metal mesh - and it beats wondering what is in that thing...).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

turtleIScream

« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2014, 11:16:25 PM »
We are not big travelers, but our family of four does manage several trips a year, ranging from 4-8 days each. The big question every trip is, where will we keep our dirty laundry? I hate leaving an unwieldy suitcase out, and I hate piling it on the floor somewhere. Our last trip, I finally thought to purchase a pop-up hamper. It is small and lightweight, holds about 4 days worth of dirties, and stores in the suitcase between trips.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2014, 11:33:31 PM »
I don't know if I read it here or elsewhere, but anyway:
I had a bumper harvest of garlic this past summer, and it was all hanging up in the shed, nicely cured and ready for me to use. Except that it had succumbed to time and nature and was in the process of sprouting. What to do? I didn't want to waste all that lovely home grown garlic!
And then I read that if I peeled the cloves, and froze them in a ziploc baggie, I'd still have all my garlic and it'd be ready to use and any sprouting behaviour would be stopped in its tracks.
I went "Oh, of COURSE!" and promptly brought all the remaining garlic inside and peeled it all and froze it all. My hands could have fended off Dracula and all his sparkly minions no trouble, afterwards, mind you. :)

Something that might help next time - that sticky rubber shelf lining that helps get lids off jars as mentioned already in this thread?  Wrap it around your garlic clove and roll it a bit, the skin comes right off the clove.