Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

80's party theme for DH's 40th birthday???? Ideas???

(1/8) > >>

Peyton Fan:
I hope this is the right place for this. If not, please let me know.

DH turns 40 at the end of January. He knows I want to have a party for him. He's only ever had one in his life and that was only with 3 friends when he was 8. We'll probably be inviting around 20 people or so. I'm thinking no kids. Since DH and I both graduated from high school in 1985, we are both definite products of the 80s. I thought it would be a fun party theme. We could have everyone dress up in 80s garb, I have an "Atari" machine that plays all the old Atari games that I would put on the TV. Play 80s music. What else? I thought about having a basket of candy of old favorites from the 80s (jolly rancher sticks, lick em stickums, pixy sticks, etc). Got to have some Bartles and James Originals wine coolers (although, I'm pretty sure I couldn't drink one now if my life depended on it). Other than that I'm at a loss on food. And what about invites? I want to send off something cute, but haven't any good ideas. Needs to be something I can do fairly easily on my computer. I also don't have any ideas about decorations. Does this sound like a totally lame idea? If not, does anyone have any good ideas?

TIA,
Kim

Lisbeth:
Well, I was at an 80s party once where they used album covers as decorations (printed out on a computer printer, not the actual covers).  Movie posters and so on would also work as decorations.

As for foods, I can remember New Coke, Orville Redenbacher popcorn, jerky, and candy bars called Whatchamacallit, but nothing else really sticks out in my mind from the 80s.

ccnumber4:
Ooo...I HAVE SOME!  A friend and I did a huge 80s party about 8 years ago.  We spent hours coming up with 80s trivia questions.  We had a trivia book for help, but I am sure there are enough board games out there that you could steal the questions from.  We included action questions, though.  Such as:  create an authentic 80s hairstyle on the contestant of your choice in 3 minutes or less.  Pick and AquaNet were supplied.  (the winner did a pretty fair immitation of the Flock of Seagulls 'do.)  Break Dancing and Valley Girl talk were some other action questions that I remember.  The winner of the game received an Atari 2600 complete with games, but I see you have already thought of that.  For what it's worth, he STILL has that thing hooked up in his living room.  Other than that, all I can think of is the disco ball with nonstop 80s music.  And we had a room with 80s movies going.  (my friends and I are all non-drinkers, so it was pretty tame.)  I hate, hate, HATE costume parties and pretty much costumes of all kinds, but I loved that night.  Don't forget the Sprees! 

Lisbeth:
Oh, for entertainment, Trivial Pursuit and Pictionary were major board games back then.

ccnumber4:
http://www.eightyeightynine.com/culture/index.html

Includes a Big Hair Gallery and "Legwarmers: a pictorial tribute"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version