• March 24, 2018, 04:57:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Non-Ghost Stories  (Read 11743 times)

Re: Non-Ghost Stories
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2011, 04:29:34 AM »
One night my late DH got up in the middle of the night to get some water. He did not put on his glasses. As he went down the hall he glanced toward the front room and saw a large man wearing a trench coat and hat standing by the front door. DH sprung into action and tackled the intruder to the floor. When I heard the noise and ran out of the bedroom, I turned on the light and saw that the evil coat rack would never sneak into anyone's home again.

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »
So, in front of my house, it goes like this:

My front lawn-sidewalk-grass median with tree-road.

Every now and again, usually a couple nights a week, if I get up at night to go to the washroom and glance out the front door's window, I see what looks like a figure standing on the grass median, staring at my house.  I always jump, then always remember it's just the stupid tree.  I've been here since July.  You'd think I'd have gotten used to the dang thing by now.
"After all this time?"

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »
When I was a teenager, my Mother, Aunt and I lived in a very very large, very old home (well, for Adelaide anyway!).

We were sure this house was haunted. We would hear bangs and bumps, doors would open and close, all the usual stuff.

Any way, one night I was home alone, with only my Aunt's 2 dogs for company. A boxer (who was red and tan) and a cross bread Akita (who was black with white flecks). I was laying in bed, trying not to freak myself out in the large spooky house all alone.

I opened my eyes and I see this glowing white spot, about the size of a 50 cent piece, floating in front of my face. It was swaying back and forth slightly. My heart starts going a mile a minute and I draw breath in to scream, as I realise......

It was the white tip of the black dogs tail. There was just enough light coming in under the door for the white to reflect it and make the tip of the tail look like it was glowing.

Scared the carp outta me!

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2011, 07:38:24 PM »
Back in my college days, I worked security on campus. Basically, my responsibility was to patrol various buildings and make sure that doors were locked and so on, so I worked some fairly odd hours.

So, on the night in question, it was a Saturday night in August, and school was actually not in session, but some students were still around for various things. And yours truly was working in the building that housed, among other things, the cadaver lab for the medical students.

Some students had been working in the labs earlier, but had long since left, since it was now midnight, and all the lights were off in the hallway. And as I approach the hallway with the cadaver labs, I hear...the sound of a rattling door. Now, no matter how rational you consider yourself to be, I defy you to not think about every zombie and/or slasher flick you've ever seen or heard of in that moment.

I took several deep breaths, and started down the hallway toward the door. And discovered that the door was rattling because the students had left a window open, and the wind was rattling the door.

However, I did NOT feel the need to go in and close the window.

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »
I've tonnes of these... :)

I was visiting my aunt for the weekend as a teen. I awoke in the middle of the night and saw, in the dark corner of the room, a man in a white mask holding a big, shiny knife. I froze in horror and stared. I reached for the light switch as slowly as possible - so the insane killer man wouldn't see I was awake and come slaughter me - and discovered I'd actually been threatened by an exercise machine (the rowing kind) that had a bit of curtain draping over it!

Another time I was coming home from a party late in the evening, and was putting my bike away. It was a dark, windy night, with a hint of rain in the air and the moon hiding behind clouds. The door of the bike shed slammed shut behind me, and immediately after that I could hear the nails of a demented witch scratching against the door, trying to claw its way in. I gathered all of my courage and threw the door open, and found myself face to face with the branches of the birch tree that grew beside the shed, the branches flailing wildly in the wind and whipping at the shed.

And the time my flat was almost burgled! I'd just moved into my first flat, and was sleeping my first night in that apartment. In the early morning hours, I hear the door to the stairwell open cautiously, and someone creeps up the steps and pauses right behind the door of my flat. I hear the bloodthirsty criminal root around in his bag, and then lean against my door. I hear the mailbox in the door creak open, and just as I'm sure that the hooded hoodlum is going to pick my lock through the mail slot and strangle me then steal all my meager possessions, I hear the newspaper hit the floor, and the would-be burglar moves on to deliver the morning paper to the rest of the block of flats.

I lead such an exciting life! :)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »
My cat(s) are not allowed in the bedroom - I have a sleep disorder.

In my old one bedroom apartment, I had a spare single bed in the corner of the large, open living/dining room.  So when my parents were visiting, I'd give them my queen and I'd sleep in the single.

I awoke one night to a weight on my chest.  And when I opened my eyes, here was Misty's face barely an inch from mine, staring intently at me.  Scared the bejeebers out of me.  I'm just glad I didn't scream or my parents wouldn't have slept for the rest of the night.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2011, 09:17:02 PM »
Sorry to your friend, Bansidhe, but I totally cracked up at this.  It would scare the bejeebers out of me, too, but it's hilarious nonetheless.

Oh, it totally cracked her up too - after she got out of panic mode.  :D
She told us the story at a dinner party and the lot of us were howling with laughter.

Stuff like this always makes me think of this story.

I just want to say that I've had a lousy, no-good, depressing day ... and this made me laugh until tears were running down my face. Thank you. :)

My own story:
I was about  college-age, living at home with my folks, and arrived home late one night after working a night shift. I walked into the living room, took my coat off and turned around ... to shriek at the top of my lungs and lurch for the nearest "weapon" (a nearby candlestick).

Someone had given my Dad, the NASCAR fan, a life-size cardboard cutout of his favorite driver. Mom had moved it from the study to the living room to do some cleaning or something like that, and hadn't moved it back yet.

My younger brother will never let me forget the night I attacked Kyle Petty with a candlestick.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2011, 08:29:26 AM »
Cardboard cut outs. A friend got one from work. She and her roommates put it up her room. They went out for the evening - it was still light. Got home and a neighbor intercepted them to tell them a man was hiding in their house and she had called the cops. Now that it was dark a light they had left on had cast a shadow on the window from the cut out. It looked like someone was hiding the bedroom (window faced the kitchen of the other house. The neighbor had noticed while cleaning up the kitchen that the "person" in the bedroom hadn't moved in a long time.)

The cops had already been sent. It ended well - the cops didn't scold anyone. They said the neighbor had done the right thing. The girls felt safer knowing that the neighbor was looking out for them, and would report something suspicious. (Before they had felt like the neighbors resented them for being renters and students - even though they didn't hold wild parties or anything.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future