Author Topic: Homemade Vegetable Stock Question (Update at #9)  (Read 1840 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Homemade Vegetable Stock Question (Update at #9)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 03:03:42 PM »
Bring to a boil and then simmer for at least a couple hours.  Let it reduce to get better flavour, color and more concentrated.   Use that celery bottom too!  Then strain.   

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 03:06:24 PM »
Strain or seive?  Do you worry about getting every last bit out?  When I make turkey soup, I just strain.  But that ends up being a really hearty soup.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 07:21:17 PM »
I use a sieve, but that is personal preference.  I don't think it is possible to get every little bit out.  What I like about veggies stock is no fat and it's not as messy to make as turkey stock with the bones fat, and veggies. 

I always make a big batch, so I have to strain it in batches and then let it sit for a bit b/c there is alot of stock liquid in those veggies and bones.  I sometimes push it down... amazing how much liquid squeezes through.   

I make more effort to strain the turkey stock b/c I want as much fat out of it as possible.   After I strain the bones and veggies out, I put the pot in the fridge or garage to chill so the fat will settle on top.  The next day, I skim off all the fat and strain again with a sieve to ensure little bones are out.