Author Topic: Apologizing for anesthesia groping  (Read 6551 times)

alkira6

Apologizing for anesthesia groping
« on: November 03, 2011, 01:47:37 PM »
First of all, let me say that I have a great relationship with my oral surgeon. Both he and his staff are great and we freely admit to flirting. I know his wife and he knows my husband and they both, in their own words, think that we're cute.

That being said, I have very unusual reactions to anesthesia. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of surgery, sometimes I come from under singing, and sometimes I will tell you my life secrets.  Last July I had surgery on my jaw and when I was coming back up I entertained the staff by singing the Cellblock Tango from Chicago, complete with drunken sounding commentary.

Last week I had to have surgery and wound up losing some of my jawbone. As I was coming from under anesthesia I apparently conversed at the staff if French and very soundly groped the Dr. A lot. In very private places. Now, it takes a lot to embarrass me, but this did it. One of the nurses let me see the CCTV footage from the recovery room and I had at least 15 busy hands.  You can see both Dr and DH laughing hysterically, but I really feel that I have tipped over into way inappropriate. And, more than anything, I am embarrassed.

Should I apologize, send a note, what?  We socialize with both the Dr. and his wife and I need to move past this. Any advice?

ettiquit

Re: Apologizing for anesthesia groping
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 01:51:54 PM »
I'm sorry, but I'm laughing so hard at this.  Although the singing is definitely funnier than the groping.

I would be embarrassed too, but I think it's pretty well understood that people can't be held accountable for things they do/say when they're under.

I'm guessing they thought you'd find it funny too, or they wouldn't have told you about it and shown you the tapes.

amylouky

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »
I'm sure they've seen it all before, people have strange reactions to anesthesia. I was doing Beavis and Butthead impressions after my wisdom teeth removal.
I'd just make a joke about it next time you see him.. "I promise I'm not sedated this time, I'll keep my hands to myself!"

squeakers

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »
What you did was under the influence of anesthesia and I am sure your Dr. has had it happen to him/heard of worse from his colleagues.

You can either never mention it again.. or if you wanted you could make a small joke about it.  You can apologize but you don't have to.  Kind of like farting (or worse) during delivery: it happens but no one really cares.

"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

MrTango

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »
I think you're okay with a simple apology.

If you were under the influence of alcohol or other drugs, I wouldn't be very quick to excuse your actions, but in this situation you were under the influence of medication that was necessary due to your surgery.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
alkira6, that's the best laugh I've had in a while.   :D

I like amylouky's approach, especially since your DH and the Dr. were laughing hysterically in the CCTV footage.  They both know you have weird reactions to sedation so I think making a good joke the next time you see him and/or his wife is the way to go. 

Maybe even give him some sort of gag gift, if it is a social situation?  'Here's something for you to wear the next time I'm in surgery.'  And give him an athletic supporter and cup or a cod piece or something.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 01:59:31 PM »
I would be embarrassed too, but I think it's pretty well understood that people can't be held accountable for things they do/say when they're under.

A coworker of mine came out from anesthesia and punched the doctor in the face.  He was horrified, but apparently it's pretty common for people to do very strange things when they come back out.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 01:59:38 PM »
I think you're fine. I'd keep the apology light-hearted, like "sorry for my wandering hands..anesthesia does weird things to me!"

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 02:01:59 PM »
It sounds like your Dr understands the situation completely, but if you feel the need to apologize I would send a card to the office apologizing for what you did.  Honestly, I've heard many stories about weird anesthesia experiences so I would be willing to bet that your Dr has seen his fair share of experiences. 

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 02:06:35 PM »
I cried when I came out after having my wisdoms out..I woke up sobbing hysterically and had no idea WHY I was crying, just that I was. The nurse told DH that it was not an uncommon reaction. She said people tend to act on whatever the first impulse that comes into their brain is at the time that they wake up.

Yarnie

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »
I think a written apology is over the top, and could make the situation even more awkward.  I'd just apologize in person, if you hadn't already.  But, seriously, the dentist is a professional, and I'm sure he's had even worse reactions from anethesia.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 02:11:55 PM »
I would think a joke would work best - something along the lines of "Now you why why DH is always smiling!" followed by a light apology.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
Deliver a basket to the office with some fruit or candy (or bread or jam or whatever) with a "Hallmark didnt have an "I apologize for inapropriately groping you while under the influence of anestesia" card, so I thought I'd send candy instead.  I promise to bring my own blow-up doll next time. Love, ME"

The sincere part - the basket, conveys an actual apology.
The fun part - the note, conveys that you dont want it to be awkward!
Good luck!

BTW, what was the Dr. doing while you had busy hands...? (think about it)
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 02:15:07 PM »
I cried when I came out after having my wisdoms out..I woke up sobbing hysterically and had no idea WHY I was crying, just that I was. The nurse told DH that it was not an uncommon reaction. She said people tend to act on whatever the first impulse that comes into their brain is at the time that they wake up.

It's the anesthesia doing that. One girl had her wisdom teeth out the same day I did, and was sobbing. I was coming out of it at the same time, so naturally my first hare-brained idea was to walk over and comfort her...

Yeah, I nearly fell on my face.  :-\
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

SPuck

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 02:16:50 PM »
I don't think there is even any need to apologize because it seems like everything has already blown over. Besides its not like you got yourself drunk then did something atrocious. Its just side affects from a drug that you needed in your system.