Author Topic: Six-month-iversary, and similar maybe-'milestones'  (Read 7326 times)

Amalthea

Re: Six-month-iversary, and similar maybe-'milestones'
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 06:35:51 AM »
Also, the 'dating anniversary' thing has slightly confused me. When would I count mine...from the day we first hung out and realised we were interested? First one-on-one get together? When we acknowledged we were seeing each other? My boyfriend and I do have something we could point to as a first 'date', but lots of couples I know don't even have that--they more drifted together towards a relationship.

My boyfriend and I are like this.  I consider our anniversary to be in the area of mid-February, but I can't get more specific than that.  We don't do anything to celebrate, so it doesn't really matter.

I know I've posted about this before, but one of my friends had a boyfriend who got annoyed with me because I forgot their year and a half anniversary.  I just had to post that again because I still think it's insane.  :D

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 10:20:47 AM »
I've never celebrated the month anniversaries. DH and I had our first wedding anniversary last month, and we celebrated it quietly. We went out to dinner and then went home and watched something on Netflix.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 10:36:20 AM »
Also, the 'dating anniversary' thing has slightly confused me. When would I count mine...from the day we first hung out and realised we were interested? First one-on-one get together? When we acknowledged we were seeing each other? My boyfriend and I do have something we could point to as a first 'date', but lots of couples I know don't even have that--they more drifted together towards a relationship.

I've always thought of it as the day you decided to be exclusive, but not every couple has that conversation so exactly either.  DH and I did but we never celebrated months or anything.  It was Dec. 1 so it was easy to remember, though.  Then we got married very close to that date (2.5 weeks before) so that not only took precedence as being more important, it also took away the dating anniversary's even getting a nod.  If we'd got married in June we'd probably spring for a nicer dinner in December as well, at least for the first few years.

My high school boyfriend and I celebrated months for the first year, but usually just with an acknowledgement, not with a big to-do (and I'd never expect my friends to remember)!  We'd started dating June 14, so the "big ones" were one month, six months, Valentine's, and 1 year.

LaciGirl007

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »

I've always thought of it as the day you decided to be exclusive, but not every couple has that conversation so exactly either. DH and I did but we never celebrated months or anything.  It was Dec. 1 so it was easy to remember, though.  Then we got married very close to that date (2.5 weeks before) so that not only took precedence as being more important, it also took away the dating anniversary's even getting a nod.  If we'd got married in June we'd probably spring for a nicer dinner in December as well, at least for the first few years.

My high school boyfriend and I celebrated months for the first year, but usually just with an acknowledgement, not with a big to-do (and I'd never expect my friends to remember)!  We'd started dating June 14, so the "big ones" were one month, six months, Valentine's, and 1 year.
DH & I have been married almost 10 years and we STILL haven't had that conversation explicitly.  There was something about "forsaking all others" in our wedding vows, though.   :P

Kirbi

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »
My SO and I still do the 6 month celebration after 3 years... but I think that's mainly because it lands on Valentine's Day.  ;)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
It turned out we considered different days to be "when we started," but it worked out well. When I proposed, we'd been going out about 8 months, and she said she wanted to wait until we'd been together a year before answering.

Turns out that the one-year mark was when we were on a cruise together. So I was really, really hoping she'd say yes, because three days in a tiny cabin after a refusal would've been awful.

She said "yes" a day before I expected an answer, because for various reasons we counted the day differently. So I got a wonderful surprise instead of another day on tenterhooks!
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

auntiem

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 08:35:10 PM »
We celebrate the years with a chocolate cake and then, when I remember the days (I have a program that count the days betwen to dates). The days are more numbers that we like (500, 777...), and our celebration consist in treat ourselves to eat something that we enjoy, like cheese fondue. We never celebrated the first month, but we celebrated the first 200 days.
My SO and I are currently having our annual November debate - what is the actual date of our anniversary * - if I promised him fondue on that day you can bet your bippie he would close his eyes and point to the calendar and that would forever be our anniversary / guaranteed fondue day.

* I count from our first date, he counts from the first time we played scrabble. There is a two week gap inbetween and they are not in the order they should be if I was a "good girl".

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 09:17:43 PM »
I've said it before, but the main reason I remember my and BF's anniversary is that it fell on a major holiday.  :-[

Chivewarrior

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
For the first year of our relationship, I was reminding BF of every month because he was convinced I would find someone better and leave him (he has had truly awful luck with women and for a while wasn't sure I wouldn't be just like them). I used the monthiversaries to point out that another month had passed and I hadn't left him so he should be getting less worried.

We did have a discussion about where it should count from, though-- the day we "met" (we had both been in the SCA for years but never really conversed), the day he Facebook-IMed me and we started talking regularly, or the first physical date. The first physical date won out-- after a couple of months of chatting online we finally went out on a date and that's the anniversary. I don't count months anymore because it's been about a year and a half; adding more months to your total after a year just doesn't sound as impressive somehow. He doesn't really care about anniversaries anyway; I'm the sentimental one who cares-- and I'll be using the two-year one to point out that I'm not remotely on the verge of finding "someone better."

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 03:46:19 PM »
Sometime this November will be the 12 year 10 month anniversary of our first date,  Sometime next August will be our 3 year wedding anniversary.

We go out to dinner on the year anniversary of both the date and wedding because we like to go out to dinner.  I keep track of the months in the first date anniversary and do not in the wedding anniversary because our first date was in a January so it's easier to do the math quickly.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 04:16:27 PM »

I am surprised to hear how many other people had to pick a date when there was no clear one. I can’t wait to tell Gish. That is what we did. We picked May 10th because it is about right and it is a nice even number – 5/10 = easy, right? So in the days leading up to it we’ll discuss it, “Hey, we should do something… dinner? Ice skating?” and then the day after one of us will proclaim, “Dangit! ! !   All day yesterday I felt like I was forgetting something! ! ! “ and the other will realize that we forgot again. It’s a yearly thing. Maybe if we did monthly we would remember more often, I don’t know. I do think anniversaries are a private thing; like many other things your friends and relatives should not be expected to be as excited about it (or even remember it) as you are.

ETA: For a long time we couldn't keep the years straight. We thought we finally had it figured out when friends pointed out that we were together when they got married so we were actually a year short. This past May was 10 years (we're almost positive) but we forgot again and didn't celebrate :P

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

NutMeg

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »
The only reason I remember is because it was a Friday the 13th, and I found that funny enough that it got my vote as the 'official' start date. There were a few other dates that could reasonably be argued for, but this is more entertaining.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »

Gish suggested this morning that we try to set the wedding date for 5/10 as well since we went through the effort to make it up. Then we would only have one day to forget. I think we should hold out a few years and make it 5/10/15 :)

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 02:27:01 AM »
Most men I've ever known would run for the hills if a woman said to them, "Wow, it's our two month anniversary." I think they'd be scared it's an indication of an upcoming "so where is this relationship going?" talk. Though I'm mystified as to how anyone ever finds out where a relationship is going since the subject seems to make men so incredibly skittish.

Chivewarrior

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 02:38:08 AM »
Most men I've ever known would run for the hills if a woman said to them, "Wow, it's our two month anniversary." I think they'd be scared it's an indication of an upcoming "so where is this relationship going?" talk. Though I'm mystified as to how anyone ever finds out where a relationship is going since the subject seems to make men so incredibly skittish.
Wait and see if it goes anywhere?