Author Topic: Six-month-iversary, and similar maybe-'milestones'  (Read 6887 times)

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Re: Six-month-iversary, and similar maybe-'milestones'
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 12:19:05 AM »
Most men I've ever known would run for the hills if a woman said to them, "Wow, it's our two month anniversary." I think they'd be scared it's an indication of an upcoming "so where is this relationship going?" talk. Though I'm mystified as to how anyone ever finds out where a relationship is going since the subject seems to make men so incredibly skittish.
Wait and see if it goes anywhere?

LOL. Well I think a few months is somewhat premature for that. But more than once I've had to wonder if we ("we" meaning whatever guy I was seeing) were actually dating or not. And after spending a ton of time together, not seeing other people, getting physically intimate (not necessarily scrabble), meeting each other's families, and so on, hearing, "Oh!! But I didn't think we were in a relationship." Seems things will go awfully well until they find out you think it's a relationship, and saying things like, "Oh, it's our two month anniversary!" is bound to fill them with fear. So no, in answer to the OP, I would never mention any sort of "anniversary" unless it was a wedding anniversary.  Doesn't matter anyway. Who cares if you (general you) have been officially dating for exactly six months? Seems kind of high school, just my opinion of course.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 12:47:47 AM »

* I count from our first date, he counts from the first time we played scrabble. There is a two week gap inbetween and they are not in the order they should be if I was a "good girl".

Oh wow did this make me laugh!! I refused to use the day we played scrabble as our anniversary, so we picked a date in between our first date and that day. Ours was about a 2 week gap too, but in the "right" order.  ;)

Of course once we got married that's the only anniversary we celebrate, but I still remember our dating anniversary for some reason. Probably b/c we were together 5 years before marrying so I feel I have to acknowledge those years somehow. Which usually just consists of me lamenting on FB how long we've been together (11 years this past August incidentally).  :)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 04:50:35 AM »

* I count from our first date, he counts from the first time we played scrabble. There is a two week gap inbetween and they are not in the order they should be if I was a "good girl".

Oh wow did this make me laugh!! I refused to use the day we played scrabble as our anniversary, so we picked a date in between our first date and that day. Ours was about a 2 week gap too, but in the "right" order.  ;)

Of course once we got married that's the only anniversary we celebrate, but I still remember our dating anniversary for some reason. Probably b/c we were together 5 years before marrying so I feel I have to acknowledge those years somehow. Which usually just consists of me lamenting on FB how long we've been together (11 years this past August incidentally).  :)

Lamenting? Why?

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

SiotehCat

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 11:41:52 AM »
When my sister was still married to her exhusband, they would celebrate every month. Even if she didn't remember it, he would give her a little gift. Sometimes it was a new perfume or a figurine. She would make him a card and write him a love letter. I always thought it was the sweetest. He would frame his favorite love letters.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 11:51:56 PM »

Lamenting? Why?

Oh I meant in a fun-cheeky way. :) Mainly I say I can't believe how long it's been b/c that makes me old, and how I "wasted" all of my 20s. Lol! (I was 20 when we started dating so I never did the "dating" thing really. And honestly I'm totally ok w/that).  Guess I should have added a smiley on there!  :)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »

:) Thanks for the explanation, megswsu - i didn't take it bad, just was confused.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 11:30:57 AM »
I'm not an anniversary-type person. If a man told me, "let's celebrate our 2-month anniversary!", I'd be creeped out.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

PaddedPaws

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »
I know that I privately cheer for every monthi-versrary, even if I forget to say anything to him about it. I'm all sappy like that. He finds it cute when I point "Hey we've been together 17 months." :) He knows that there's no expectation for special gifts or anything like that. It's just me being excited about our relationship.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »
See, I never added the word "anniversary", but I would definitely point out that it had been x number of months (until the year started).  "Hey, we've been together for 4 months (big grin).  It's been fun, hasn't it?" said in a very light hearted way.  No pressure, just a reminder that I'm glad we've made it this far.  September was just 2 years for Dark Boyfriend and me.  ;D 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2011, 09:14:37 AM »
A couple we're friends with celebrates EVERYTHING. I mean everything. They celebrate when they first met, when their first date was, the first time they said I love you, the first time they played scrabble, etc. Everything. If this weren't enough, they celebrate everything on every MONTH. So if their dating anniversary was January 15th, they will celebrate the 15th of every month.

It's gotten quite annoying by now, because they are usually too busy celebrating to ever want to go out and do anything. Now that they're married, they have another month anniversay to celebrate.  ::)
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »
Wedding anniversaries are a big deal for us-- we usually take a trip somewhere fun, so I spend the weeks/months leading up to it pretty excited (my inner child never got the message that she's supposed to be inner).

Other "anniversaries" (months, the day we started dating), I'll mention if I remember on the day, but we don't celebrate.

I knew a teenage boy once who, every monthiversary with his girlfriend would buy her a gift-- that corresponded to the traditional wedding anniversary gifts. I kind of wanted to see what would happen if they made it to 10 months (10th anniversary is diamond jewelry), but they broke up before then.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 04:40:02 PM »
Wedding anniversaries are a big deal for us-- we usually take a trip somewhere fun, so I spend the weeks/months leading up to it pretty excited (my inner child never got the message that she's supposed to be inner).

Other "anniversaries" (months, the day we started dating), I'll mention if I remember on the day, but we don't celebrate.

I knew a teenage boy once who, every monthiversary with his girlfriend would buy her a gift-- that corresponded to the traditional wedding anniversary gifts. I kind of wanted to see what would happen if they made it to 10 months (10th anniversary is diamond jewelry), but they broke up before then.

My inner child doesn't understand, either; Dark Sister's is even worse...

I wish they had made it longer so you could tell us what happened!  That seems way over the top to me, and I would probably feel really uncomfortable had I been her.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »

My inner child doesn't understand, either; Dark Sister's is even worse...

I wish they had made it longer so you could tell us what happened!  That seems way over the top to me, and I would probably feel really uncomfortable had I been her.

I had a friend in high school who called me freaking out when her BF gave her diamond jewelry (a necklace) after ~10 months of dating.  I agreed; that was way too serious for where they were.  Although they did end up getting married after dating on and off for more than 10 years...  they're separated now, though.

libraryliz

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 07:29:51 PM »
My six month anniversary (two weeks ago) and we exchanged a kiss and a "happy anniversary!" and an "Oh that's right! Yay us!" BF remembered (but only because I had mentioned offhandedly it a week before). That's the extent of our celebration. And we don't involve anyone else in it. We'll probably do something bigger for one year.
"I have never been especially impressed by the heroics of people convinced that they are about to change the world. I am more awed by those who struggle to make one small difference after another." -Ellen Goodman

emwithme

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »
My SO and I used to say "happy __ months" on our month-iversaries for the first year we were together and since then we've celebrated the year and half year mark (26th April and 26th October).  If either of us remember on the monthiversary now then we'll mention it but we normally end up saying it a couple of days later since we've forgotten.  When we celebrate the year and half year mark we normally go out for a meal and do little gifts for each other. 

If we ever get married I'd like to do it on our dating anniversary, mainly to make it easier to remember, but if not it'll just be on whatever date is available at our venue.

DF and I are getting married this September on what will be the third anniversary of us meeting.  I thought I'd be nice to him and just let him remember one anniversary*.

*actually, it just ties in with it being a Saturday about 18 months after we got engaged...plus it's my (late) mum's birthday so I want to have a nice memory on that day