Author Topic: Tattoo Etiquette  (Read 19134 times)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
Re: Tattoo Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 12:45:27 AM »
Do not grab an article of clothing or long hair that is covering a tattoo and move it to the side just so you can see the tattoo it covers.  I came this close to decking a lady because I had absolutely no idea who was touching my back nor why; it was instinct and she was lucky.

One of my dearest friends has a tattoo on her back that is a treble clef that turns into a body of a French horn. Everybody and his/her mother at a gathering we were at this past weekend decided that they were going to take pictures of her, or grab her arm, or pull her dress strap off her shoulder to get a look at her tattoo. I know that part of getting a tattoo in a place you show off a lot may open a person up to that. However, my poor friend was getting bothered during a fancy dinner for a good chunk of the night.

One guy who took a picture at least asked permission before taking the picture (it's going on a photo CD sold at the gathering, so she's excited about being seen by a bunch of people). The rest of the stuff is inappropriate and ridiculous, though.

Nota bene: I didn't step in because A) Sarah, my friend, would not have appreciated that at all, and B) she's the same age as I am; she can take care of herself.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 12:50:14 AM »
Do not grab an article of clothing or long hair that is covering a tattoo and move it to the side just so you can see the tattoo it covers.  I came this close to decking a lady because I had absolutely no idea who was touching my back nor why; it was instinct and she was lucky.

One of my dearest friends has a tattoo on her back that is a treble clef that turns into a body of a French horn. Everybody and his/her mother at a gathering we were at this past weekend decided that they were going to take pictures of her, or grab her arm, or pull her dress strap off her shoulder to get a look at her tattoo. I know that part of getting a tattoo in a place you show off a lot may open a person up to that. However, my poor friend was getting bothered during a fancy dinner for a good chunk of the night.

One guy who took a picture at least asked permission before taking the picture (it's going on a photo CD sold at the gathering, so she's excited about being seen by a bunch of people). The rest of the stuff is inappropriate and ridiculous, though.

Nota bene: I didn't step in because A) Sarah, my friend, would not have appreciated that at all, and B) she's the same age as I am; she can take care of herself.

My tattoo on my back stretches from one shoulder blade to the other and is approximately 6 inches tall.  My hair (now) just barely covers it.  People will take my hair as a whole (think of how you would gather a bunch of string that big to move it all at once) and pull it aside.  Not a smart thing to do, and neither is pulling down my dress/bra a little so you can see if there is anything else.  If you ask me if you can, I am more than happy to let you.  I'll even pull up my shirt in the back for someone to see it if the venue is appropriate.  Do it without asking me and you're liable to get hit simply as an instinct.

I have opened up myself for questions about my tattoo and to people asking to see all of it, not to people all but assaulting me to get a peak at it.  (I'm not saying that's what you said, just my take on the matter).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

cabbagegirl28

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 01:01:39 AM »

My tattoo on my back stretches from one shoulder blade to the other and is approximately 6 inches tall.  My hair (now) just barely covers it.  People will take my hair as a whole (think of how you would gather a bunch of string that big to move it all at once) and pull it aside.  Not a smart thing to do, and neither is pulling down my dress/bra a little so you can see if there is anything else.  If you ask me if you can, I am more than happy to let you.  I'll even pull up my shirt in the back for someone to see it if the venue is appropriate.  Do it without asking me and you're liable to get hit simply as an instinct.

I have opened up myself for questions about my tattoo and to people asking to see all of it, not to people all but assaulting me to get a peak at it.  (I'm not saying that's what you said, just my take on the matter).

Definitely. I'm with you on that. Frankly, Sarah was a lot nicer than I would have been if someone had grabbed my dress strap and pulled it down in front of Mickey Mouse and everybody at a formal dinner.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Lynnv

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 01:07:03 AM »

Definitely. I'm with you on that. Frankly, Sarah was a lot nicer than I would have been if someone had grabbed my dress strap and pulled it down in front of Mickey Mouse and everybody at a formal dinner.

POD.  My tattoo, depending on what I am wearing, can show above my neckline on my back.  Someone grabbing my shirt and pulling it down is liable to get slapped.  Friends, family, strangers-noone gets to touch me just because I have some ink. 

The one time a clueless teenage cousin managed to sneak up behind me and grab my shirt, he did get slapped.  Then his mom had a rather loud and one-sided 'discussion'   >:D with him about the appropriateness of touching someone's clothing without permission.  I received a sincere and contrite apology...and the clueless teenage cousin has grown up into rather a nice young man. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 09:04:35 PM »
I have several tattoos now, but at the time this story took place, I had only one, on my shoulder blade.

My sister and I had gone to the local fair and gotten fakey airbrush tattoos done there.  I had something done on my arm.  Afterward, we went to a large family BBQ.  My aunt P remarked in surprise on the airbrush stenciling and asked if I'd gotten a tattoo.  I replied that no, that one was fake.  The real one was on my shoulder.  She exclaimed, "You LIE!!!" I was like, "Umm...no.   The one on my shoulder is real.  I've had it for about a year now."

I was wearing a tank top, and she spent the rest of the evening at the BBQ trailing after me, tugging aside my tank top and bra strap and poking and prodding at my shoulder.  If I was sitting down, she would sit behind me and start picking and scratching at me.  After repeatedly telling her to stop touching me, I decided to leave because it was really getting on my nerves, I don't particularly care for being poked, prodded, picked and scratched, I was rapidly losing my patience and I couldn't think of any other way to get her to stop or to remove myself from the situation without being extremely rude.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

diesel_darlin

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 03:10:41 AM »
I have 4 tattoos. While 2 of them are just average tattoos, two of them are slightly unusual. Please don't look at someone like :o and ask them "why on earth would you get something like that for?"

I am fully open to discussing the reasons behind my tattoos. I just wish people would be nicer about it.  ;D

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »
I have 4 tattoos. While 2 of them are just average tattoos, two of them are slightly unusual. Please don't look at someone like :o and ask them "why on earth would you get something like that for?"

I am fully open to discussing the reasons behind my tattoos. I just wish people would be nicer about it.  ;D

Exactly.  I am more than willing to show you my tattoos if you approach me with curiosity rather than like you have the right to know.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »
Since we're on the topic, would some folks be amenable to showing pictures of their tattoos, or should we start a separate thread?
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
I think we should start a separate thread...which I'll go do now!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 12:46:41 PM »
Don't forget to link us!
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »

Xandraea

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 01:35:20 PM »

One of my dearest friends has a tattoo on her back that is a treble clef that turns into a body of a French horn.
This sounds BEAUTIFUL!

Everybody and his/her mother at a gathering we were at this past weekend decided that they were going to take pictures of her, or grab her arm, or pull her dress strap off her shoulder to get a look at her tattoo. I know that part of getting a tattoo in a place you show off a lot may open a person up to that. However, my poor friend was getting bothered during a fancy dinner for a good chunk of the night.

I don't believe having a visible tattoo (Or pregnant belly, or newborn baby) means a person should have to put up with anyone touching them any more than anybody else should.  Personal boundaries, people.  ASK if you'd like a better look at the tattoo.  Moving her clothing is beyond rude.

The bolded. Exactly.

cabbagegirl28

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 10:27:34 AM »

One of my dearest friends has a tattoo on her back that is a treble clef that turns into a body of a French horn.
This sounds BEAUTIFUL!

Everybody and his/her mother at a gathering we were at this past weekend decided that they were going to take pictures of her, or grab her arm, or pull her dress strap off her shoulder to get a look at her tattoo. I know that part of getting a tattoo in a place you show off a lot may open a person up to that. However, my poor friend was getting bothered during a fancy dinner for a good chunk of the night.

I don't believe having a visible tattoo (Or pregnant belly, or newborn baby) means a person should have to put up with anyone touching them any more than anybody else should.  Personal boundaries, people.  ASK if you'd like a better look at the tattoo.  Moving her clothing is beyond rude.

The bolded. Exactly.

I meant "open up a person to that" more in the sense of "it may open you to weird people who think they have a right to know what exactly your tattoos look like and mean." I'm sorry that my wording was bad.

postalslave

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
I have a full back tat, from neck to hips. I've had people touch me randomly in the pool (creeeeepy) and others ask me how long it took (normal).

What *truly* bothers me is when people ask how much it cost. I never know what to say because my artist gave me a "super good friend" discount in exchange for modeling work. I don't want to brag up a discount nor do I want to let someone think he charges a little when he charges a lot. At the same time I don't want to make up a price because it may hurt the artist. in the end I end up laughing a bit and just saying "enough" but it feels a little wrong.

Lynnv

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »
I have a full back tat, from neck to hips. I've had people touch me randomly in the pool (creeeeepy) and others ask me how long it took (normal).

What *truly* bothers me is when people ask how much it cost. I never know what to say because my artist gave me a "super good friend" discount in exchange for modeling work. I don't want to brag up a discount nor do I want to let someone think he charges a little when he charges a lot. At the same time I don't want to make up a price because it may hurt the artist. in the end I end up laughing a bit and just saying "enough" but it feels a little wrong.

How about, "Oh, goodness, he did it over quite a few sessions....I have never bothered to add it all up.  I felt it was a fair price as we went along, but I really have no idea what it was overall."   Or maybe something a little more blunt like, "It wasn't cheap-but I was willing to pay the price for an artist of his caliber-but I paid as the work was done, so don't really know how much it was in total."  These presume that it was a large enough piece that it was done over multiple sessions.  For a single session, I might say "I don't really remember-but I remember that it was fair for the amount of work and talent he put into it." 

Of course, I might be a little blunter and go with "I don't really want to discuss price."
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein