Author Topic: Tattoo Etiquette  (Read 18652 times)

Lynnv

Re: Tattoo Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 07:18:08 PM »
4. Do not make snide comments about tattoos being for "sailors", "bikers" or "trash"- this cultural perception is changing, and you are   
    clearly trying to insult the tattooed person.

Especially don't to this since you are also insulting both sailors and bikers by equating them with "trash."  You have, by saying this, managed to insult at least three groups of people, when you really only meant to be insulting to one group.  Oops.

Since it's before my morning coffee, I have to clarify- is this directed at my wording, or the "general" you? I certainly don't think bikers or sailors are trash, nor do I think that having a tattoo makes one trashy. Hmmm. Perhaps the wording needs to be fixed.

Not you (hollandoats).  The you (whoever it is) who thinks it is okay to make comments about only sailors or bikers or trash getting tattoos.  Sorry that wasn't clear. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »
Don't hit someone where they're newly tattooed. My poor friend's back hurt terribly from that.

Sometimes, people's tattoos are not in a place that is normally shown in public. Don't bug them to show it if they're not comfortable about it (for the record, my best friend's BF got a tattoo on his chest).

Something that I've noticed to be appreciated among my tattooed friends: Offering to lotion the tattooed area when they're itchy. Obviously, one only has to do this if both parties are okay with this.

Don't make jokes about someone having a tattoo for a family member on his/her body. Some get them to honor deceased relatives, which one of my friends did for his dad.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

hollandoates

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »
Don't hit someone where they're newly tattooed. My poor friend's back hurt terribly from that.

my ex-bf did that to me when i got my first tattoo. i guess he thought it would be funny, but it definitely wasn't.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 02:20:50 PM »
Don't make jokes about someone having a tattoo for a family member on his/her body. Some get them to honor deceased relatives, which one of my friends did for his dad.

I think that depends on the person and the sense of humor. My siblings and I all have tattoos - including one or two in honor of relatives - and BIL has tatoos and some really intense piercings. There is a lot of joking about getting work dedicated to various family members and it is all taken in the good fun it is meant.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

jmarvellous

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
We have a few really recognizable head-to-toe tattooed folks around (a female wildcat, a man who's like a lizard, down to the forked tongue) who we see regularly, though we don't know them personally.
One I met yesterday was covered in leopard spots -- I'd been around him several times before and no one seemed to know his name and just called him "leopard guy." His real name is something like Lenny, so now that I know it, if people ask, "Which Lenny?" can I say, "The one covered in leopard spots"?

In simpler terms, do people with large, obvious tattoos (or even smaller, less noticeable but still unique ones) mind being recognized for them? Or is this too individual to make a specific ruling about it?

lollylegs

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 05:59:49 PM »

I think that depends on the person and the sense of humor. My siblings and I all have tattoos - including one or two in honor of relatives - and BIL has tatoos and some really intense piercings. There is a lot of joking about getting work dedicated to various family members and it is all taken in the good fun it is meant.

I'd say it's a 'know your audience' thing. But if you've just met someone and you see they've got a family tattoo, refrain from making jokes to be on the safe side.

cabbagegirl28

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »

I'd say it's a 'know your audience' thing. But if you've just met someone and you see they've got a family tattoo, refrain from making jokes to be on the safe side.

The joke was somewhat like, "Oh, that's like the Mom in a heart thing. How funny!" when it was a lot more elaborate than that. My friend was not amused. But yeah, I agree that it is a know your audience thing.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:20:01 PM by cabbagegirl28 »

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 03:20:46 AM »
We have a few really recognizable head-to-toe tattooed folks around (a female wildcat, a man who's like a lizard, down to the forked tongue) who we see regularly, though we don't know them personally.
One I met yesterday was covered in leopard spots -- I'd been around him several times before and no one seemed to know his name and just called him "leopard guy." His real name is something like Lenny, so now that I know it, if people ask, "Which Lenny?" can I say, "The one covered in leopard spots"?

In simpler terms, do people with large, obvious tattoos (or even smaller, less noticeable but still unique ones) mind being recognized for them? Or is this too individual to make a specific ruling about it?

It's a fairly specific thing to make a general ruling about, but in the case of Lenny with spots, I don't think he would have much of a leg to stand on if he was going to be offended about being identified by a body-wide tattoo.

I'm one of five Anna's in my circle of friends and I'm 'nose ring Anna' or 'tallest Anna', it's just another identifier.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

cabbagegirl28

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 11:19:51 PM »
Heard a new one today!

Don't say to someone (in a snarky way), "Well, you'd have money for that if you didn't have tattoos." Especially if you don't know how the tattoo got paid for (i.e., it was a gift).

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 05:52:42 AM »

Just because I have Betty Boop tattooed on me, it does not mean I'm "loose" like her.  ::)
Stewart/Colbert '16

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »

The joke was somewhat like, "Oh, that's like the Mom in a heart thing. How funny!" when it was a lot more elaborate than that. My friend was not amused. But yeah, I agree that it is a know your audience thing.

Yeah, i think most things are :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

cabbagegirl28

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »
I know this topic is kinda old, but I remembered another etiquette thing which can apply to more than tattoo artists, but it was related to tattoos at the time.

There's usually a reason a tattoo artist is booked for 3-4 months straight. Don't be mean to your friend when he/she tries to get you an appointment with the person because you can't get your tattoo (done by another artist and slightly botched) fixed this weekend.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
I don't like when people tell me I won't be able to get a job because of my tattoos.  They're all inoffensive (animals or animal related) and can be covered with regular clothing for the most part.  My legs and shoulders are easily covered, as are my forearms if I wear long sleeves.

But that's what gets me about "You won't be able to get a job".  I HAVE a job.  I've never been unemployed more than a week since I started working for a living when I was 16, tattoos or no.  I despise that stereotype.

I also have my tongue pierced and people point out if/when they notice it, that it's going to affect my speech.  I've had it for 9 years, for one, and for an other, we've been conversing just fine this whole time.  Granted, the first few days after I had it done, I sounded like I had a sweat sock in my mouth, but my tongue was very swollen, and it was about on par with how some people sound after having their wisdom teeth out.

Bottom line is that it's my body and I can tattoo it up or punch it full of holes if I want to, and no one has any right to judge me for it.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Amalthea

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »
Even if tattoo artist is your intended career path, you should not be practicing with a needle and bottle of ink on fellow students during high school art class.  I wish I was kidding.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2012, 05:18:53 PM »
Do not grab an article of clothing or long hair that is covering a tattoo and move it to the side just so you can see the tattoo it covers.  I came this close to decking a lady because I had absolutely no idea who was touching my back nor why; it was instinct and she was lucky.

Also, just because you think a certain type of tattoo is lame, doesn't mean everyone does.  Don't assume you know the reason behind a tribal or some such similar "typical" tattoo...that person could actually be in what is considered a tribe and got traditional tribe tattoos and you just insulted his entire heritage.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.