Author Topic: "Cloaked communication", and occasional bemusement  (Read 17721 times)

cabbageweevil

"Cloaked communication", and occasional bemusement
« on: November 04, 2011, 05:21:21 AM »
Having discovered eHell a few months ago, and “many happy hours on it since” – was lately browsing in past threads in "Forum Admin / Announcements".  One which was flourishing in autumn 2009 ("BF [Boyfriend] vs BF [Best Friend]") struck a chord with me:  I understand that starting a new thread, is preferred to “bumping” one from that long ago, so am duly making a new first post.

I do find that in one way and another, eHell does more “cloaking” of words / expressions, than any other Internet board on which I have spent time.  Am not quarrelling with this: “your house, your rules” – over the months, I think I have come to “get” most of the veiled communication, and in fact have landed up finding it part of the fun of the board.  Occasional puzzlement / confusion still befalls me.

With the abovementioned 2009 thread starting with the potential for confusion re BF (boyfriend, or best friend? – established that per convention, boyfriend = BF, best friend = BFF) – one poster on the abovementioned thread, wrote that at times of less than total alertness, she had been thrown by BF’s being used to mean “neither of the above”, but “breastfeeding”.  I have had the occasional rather similar moment, by reason of my having an interest in the topic of fauna possibly as yet unknown to science, including the American “Bigfoot”.  Since I frequently log on to a message board on the just-named subject, where BF is copiously used to refer to the putative creature concerned; from time to time on eHell, I get a moment of seeming incongruity, where the abbreviation BF suggests to me none of the things mentioned in the thread of two years ago, but a giant ape-man potentially lurking in the forests of North America.

Another poster on the 2009 thread confesses to having long been “thoroughly confused about Child Boards when they had nothing to do with children”.  Until recently, I shared that confusion.  I paid no attention to the two Child Boards of “Life...in general” – “Holidays”, and its “getting-together” companion – I was under the misapprehension that they were basically the province of juvenile eHellions, being about stuff of interest to such participants: holidays, and (assumably) sweet and innocent early-teen-type tentative pairing-off.  One lives and, sort-of, learns.

QueenofAllThings

Re: "Cloaked communication", and occasional bemusement
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:10:12 AM »
I had the obvious confusion with all the mentions of scrabble, as I didn't know the coded meaning. I kept wondering why everyone was so concerned with scrabble playing. Same thing with various references to the author D!ck Francis as wing-dingy Francis and the very common use of Crud Monkeys! I finally figured out that they were filtered changes ....

Sometimes I'm a little slow.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 12:08:57 PM »
You can always ask. We don't bite. :)

I will confess that even after being here a while, I still have to reread posts with "BF and BFF went out w/o SIL to DIL and ODGDs". I don't mind them, but I can't read that stuff half-asleep or the post sounds a little funny. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »
That's why I write words out. I'm not a big fan of abbreviations in the first place, and the D- part especially (who on earth refers to him as your Dear Husband in real life?) strikes me as insufferably cute.
Words mean things.

O'Dell

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:29:42 PM »
Two ehell specific abbreviations regularly make me giggle...

BM...in ehell speak that's bride's maid, while my first thought is "bowel movement".
STD...ehell speak for "save the date" notices, and for me it's "scrabble transmitted disease" (that whole sentence has me going ???) :P

I think any long-running healthy community develops their abbreviations and in-jokes...online and real life as well. And I'm with Juana on the D- abbreviations that I see everywhere online. I write those titles out too.

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »
I rarely use the abbreviations except with my family. DH, DS, etc. I do make one change, however, that had many members going  ??? to me: I refer to my boys here by their ages: Ds11, Ds10 and Ds5. Because when I don't I get responses over and over that say "I don't know how old your son is..." or "How old is you kid again?"

But some people refer to their oldest child as DD1, the younger is DD2...so people thought I had 11 kids!

I actually refer to my DH as "DH" on facebook and a few other forums. I've said it out loud IRL (in real life) a few times without realizing it. (And in my own head I replace DearHusband with D*mnHusband once in a while!)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:19:47 PM »
I like your putting the ages in. It helps get a handle on what to expect from the child. If we are talking about DS23 or DD40, I don't know if they would appreciate it, though.

I also am grateful when people write DSis, so I know it's not Dear Son.

The DF gets me often - Fiance or Father? Sometimes I reading something pretty awkward!

Another thing I really like is when people are talking about couples, they start by using the same initial for the made up name for each member of the couple. I can even follow it if the couples switch.

O'Dell

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »
I like your putting the ages in. It helps get a handle on what to expect from the child. If we are talking about DS23 or DD40, I don't know if they would appreciate it, though.

The DF gets me often - Fiance or Father? Sometimes I reading something pretty awkward!

Another thing I really like is when people are talking about couples, they start by using the same initial for the made up name for each member of the couple. I can even follow it if the couples switch.

Oh I like that too. :)

Someone recently had a largish group of people and named them in alphabetical order. First name started with "a", second with "b", and so on. Somehow made it easier for me to follow the action.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

cabbageweevil

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »
I had the obvious confusion with all the mentions of scrabble, as I didn't know the coded meaning. I kept wondering why everyone was so concerned with scrabble playing. Same thing with various references to the author D!ck Francis as wing-dingy Francis and the very common use of Crud Monkeys! I finally figured out that they were filtered changes ....

Sometimes I'm a little slow.
"Scrabble" as the board game (which I enjoy) has been -- amusingly -- ruined for evermore, for me.

I long thought that "Crud Monkeys" and "Sweet Monkey Fritters" were "harmless imprecations" dreamed up by imaginative eHellions (and reckon them quite splendid in that role) -- didn't realise about the "filtered change" bit.  I still don't know what the relevant pre-filtering "bad expressions" are (am not asking here, for elucidation!).

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 02:02:42 PM »
I spent some fun minutes going to the Reply screen, putting in bad words, Previewing to see what the filter had changed them into.

I was so afraid I would accidentally hit Post and have to report myself! (Or find the post and Delete it as soon as possible.)

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 02:15:38 PM »
I spent some fun minutes going to the Reply screen, putting in bad words, Previewing to see what the filter had changed them into.

I was so afraid I would accidentally hit Post and have to report myself! (Or find the post and Delete it as soon as possible.)

I really have no idea what gets changed into what. (Though I did learn the hard way in a literature thread and I mentioned Charles D ickens).

But somehow Crud Monkeys has worked itself into my daily vocab

Pinky830

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »

Someone recently had a largish group of people and named them in alphabetical order. First name started with "a", second with "b", and so on. Somehow made it easier for me to follow the action.

Every time I tell a story using someone's name, I use another name that has the same first letter as their real name. It's easier for *me* to keep track of who's who.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 02:52:50 PM »

Every time I tell a story using someone's name, I use another name that has the same first letter as their real name. It's easier for *me* to keep track of who's who.

I liked Archie, Betty, Veronica and Jughead.  :)
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

RobinJ

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »
Another poster on the 2009 thread confesses to having long been “thoroughly confused about Child Boards when they had nothing to do with children”.  Until recently, I shared that confusion.  I paid no attention to the two Child Boards of “Life...in general” – “Holidays”, and its “getting-together” companion – I was under the misapprehension that they were basically the province of juvenile eHellions, being about stuff of interest to such participants: holidays, and (assumably) sweet and innocent early-teen-type tentative pairing-off.  One lives and, sort-of, learns.

This was me too for the longest time!  hahaha
Glad I am not the only one.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 06:12:10 PM »

Why didn't I think of that? My favorite is when someone is trying to post seriously and gets "I told my neighbor Wing Ding Dangity Smith..." That one kills me every time.  ;D

Updated to add, RE the previewing thing - Well shoot, it didn't work! LOL