Author Topic: "Cloaked communication", and occasional bemusement  (Read 17768 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: "Cloaked communication", and occasional bemusement
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »
I spent some fun minutes going to the Reply screen, putting in bad words, Previewing to see what the filter had changed them into.

I was so afraid I would accidentally hit Post and have to report myself! (Or find the post and Delete it as soon as possible.)

Why didn't I think of that? My favorite is when someone is trying to post seriously and gets "I told my neighbor Wing Ding Dangity Smith..." That one kills me every time.  ;D

Yes! "And he told me that when he got his dog from the irresponsible parent of the human variety..."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 02:58:16 AM »
I spent some fun minutes going to the Reply screen, putting in bad words, Previewing to see what the filter had changed them into.

I was so afraid I would accidentally hit Post and have to report myself! (Or find the post and Delete it as soon as possible.)

Why didn't I think of that? My favorite is when someone is trying to post seriously and gets "I told my neighbor Wing Ding Dangity Smith..." That one kills me every time.  ;D

Updated to add, RE the previewing thing - Well shoot, it didn't work! LOL

I just tried and it still works. When you Preview, you have to scroll up to find what your post is going to look like.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 04:45:03 AM »
Yes! "And he told me that when he got his dog from the irresponsible parent of the human variety..."
A similar lovely one on the fish-tank thread: "my Dad was a Master Fish irresponsible parent of the human variety".  Sounds like an insult thought up by Dr. Samuel Johnson.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 05:29:31 AM »
Is there any way to test the filter to see what gets changed to what? I don't mean to try to get curse words to appear or to leave them up if they do appear, I just mean to see what's what. I don't know what causes sweet monkey fritters or bacon fed knaves and they seem pretty common.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 08:40:28 AM »
Is there any way to test the filter to see what gets changed to what? I don't mean to try to get curse words to appear or to leave them up if they do appear, I just mean to see what's what. I don't know what causes sweet monkey fritters or bacon fed knaves and they seem pretty common.

I don't know what "sweet monkey fritters" starts as, but "bacon fed knave" replaces a word for either your rear end or a donkey. "Crud monkeys" is the abbreviation for "oh my (Deity)" and "crivins" is the abbreviation for "what the heck." Which leads to some funny sentences when people make a typo for "with":

"So, yesterday I went to the mall CRIVINS!!! my sister and my mom..."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 09:08:06 AM »

As I tried to explain earlier and maybe wasn't clear (Sorry about that):

Go to Reply from any post.

Enter the bad word of your choice.

Go to Preview, the button between Post and Spellcheck

Scroll up to the new box that has appeared above Post Reply. What you post would look like will appear.

Just be careful not to hit Post before you back arrow to the pages you were on previously or you will       feel very silly about your seeming reply to a post.

I do this regularly when I clip a post to quote to made sure I did it right.

Betelnut

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »

As I tried to explain earlier and maybe wasn't clear (Sorry about that):

Go to Reply from any post.

Enter the bad word of your choice.

Go to Preview, the button between Post and Spellcheck

Scroll up to the new box that has appeared above Post Reply. What you post would look like will appear.

Just be careful not to hit Post before you back arrow to the pages you were on previously or you will       feel very silly about your seeming reply to a post.

I do this regularly when I clip a post to quote to made sure I did it right.

Yes, more people should use the Preview feature and spell check.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »
Thanks. That is pretty funny condidering all those extra spaces I managed to get in one of my lines! :D

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 10:45:34 PM »
A similar lovely one on the fish-tank thread: "my Dad was a Master Fish irresponsible parent of the human variety".  Sounds like an insult thought up by Dr. Samuel Johnson.

ROFL!  I normally always preview before posting, but clearly that day I didn't....  and never noticed... . but as soon as I saw your post here I just *knew* that it was me!   Went back and checked, sure enough, had given my Dad a peculiar profession.   ;D  Funny how the filter can catch any of us out on occasion.....  (If I'm quoting somebody then I always preview - nothing worse than a messy quote tree!)

When I am telling a story and assigning names, I always try to use alphabetical if possible (e.g. four coworkers - Annie, Bobbie, Charlie and Doris) and match up couples names (Jenny & Joe, Sally & Sam etc).  I hate it when people just use initials, it drives me batty.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 12:06:42 AM »
I try to use pseudonyms that start with the same letter as the real name -- e.g., Eileen becomes Elaine, George becomes Gene, etc. I also try to make them age appropriate because it's easier for readers to picture the people involved if they have a name that fits their age. So I might change 70-year-old Mary's name to Martha, but never Madison.

For couples, I might use the initial convention, but if I'm writing about them specifically as a unit, I might use specific pop-culture pairings (e.g, "Ralph and Alice" or "Fred and Ethel").
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

CakeEater

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 12:08:08 AM »
Goodness - I just giggled like a crazy person trying out the word filter. Apparently I'm a potty mouth extraordinaire!

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 12:18:41 AM »
I actually think, "CRUD MONKEYS!" or the like now. 
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 02:15:47 PM »
I actually think, "CRUD MONKEYS!" or the like now.

HA!  well, there was that one time when i told the hubs to "stop acting like a bacon fed knave." 

his reply?  "you've been spending too much time on E-Hell again, haven't you?" 

;D

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
Ha, some of these are pretty good!

"I can't express myself without swearing."

"I used a very bad word and someone needs to report me to a moderator."

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 05:29:14 PM »
Goodness - I just giggled like a crazy person trying out the word filter. Apparently I'm a potty mouth extraordinaire!

It kind of sounds like a compliment doesn't it? I want a pin or something.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem