Author Topic: "Cloaked communication", and occasional bemusement  (Read 17561 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: "Cloaked communication", and occasional bemusement
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 05:30:48 PM »
Is it really sad that I know what bad word the cute replacements stand for?

Solanna Dryden

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 05:43:28 PM »
Am I the only one who really hates the word filter? It just doesn't seem necessary when we're all adults and it's spelled out in the rules that swearing isn't allowed.
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 05:52:54 PM »
Am I the only one who really hates the word filter? It just doesn't seem necessary when we're all adults and it's spelled out in the rules that swearing isn't allowed.

Some of them are to stop weird adds from triggering. I wish i could remember what poster it was thought the board was a bunch of homophobes because of the way gay used to be changed to g@y before the other trick was discovered. That is one that is changed for ad purposes, not because it is a bad word. Other than that ... i wouldn't be too sure we're all adults. Judging by how much fun i have playing with the filter, i include myself in that :)

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »
We're all adults, but poopadities happens. (And yes I typed the real word and go the replacement, on purpose.)

The other thing is that some things which are offensive to some people are not to others.  For example, the initials OM.G and WT.F are so integrated in my head as internet-speak for "Wow!" and "This does not make sense" that I sometimes forget what they stand for or how someone could find them offensive.  It doesn't bother me at all to have them changed to "CRUD MONKEYS!" and "Sweet monkey fritters!" if I forget.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »
We're all adults, but poopadities happens. (And yes I typed the real word and go the replacement, on purpose.)

That reminds me--there was an anecdote on here years ago that was turned super-hilarious by poopadities. There was a lady who went to a yard sale and asked to use the OP's bathroom, and got poop everywhere, and the word "poopadities" repeated over and over was just hysterical somehow. But so gross!  :D :-X

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 06:06:31 PM »

I like the filters. It is a reinforcement, a gentle reminder, and I have seen that it is so easy for some people to slip into swearing.

I once bypassed the filter with gutter word for poop (! for the i) and felt so guilty about it that I went back and edited. It has helped me in my daily communications.

Yes, I'm an adult and have heard and used all of the words, but I like the filter.

(I Previewed - Poop is allowed.)

I agree with the 'O MY..' and "What the.........' being blocked. I drop Friends who use the last one constantly. Actually, I used the first so often in real life years ago, that it doesn't bother me much. ( I don't use it now - too many people to offend, as I learned the hard way.)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 07:04:50 PM »
I agree with Hobish that certain things are filtered to avoid ads, like rel@tionships.

I do find it funny that my father, a sweet gentleman of 83, has his preferred name changed to: wingadingdingy. 
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »

We may all be adults, but we don't always act like them.  Proper "adult" behavior is also very fluid.  There's language that I'll use in other situations that I would never use here -- but not everyone is able to compartmentalize like that.

Yes, the rules say that swearing isn't allowed but then we have the question of how to enforce that rule.  We could live without a filter, but inevitably, EHellDame and the mods would deal with dozens of "s/he used a bad word" reports every day.  Then they'd have to go through the whole moderating process, chiding the misbehaving poster (or banning them) and fixing the bad post.  EHellDame and the others have lives and don't need to spend all of their spare time dealing with that.  So, the filter keeps the bad language out with a minimum of effort on the part of management.  I know that I wouldn't want to have to enforce the rules manually.

Then there are the ads.  Google AdSense matches keywords in the content (and your location) to customize ads.  Much of the time this is ok, but AdSense has little ability to understand context, so it doesn't know that you meant the nickname for Richard and not a slang term for male anatomy.  Easier to substitute wingadingdingy than for EHellDame to try to get Google to block certain ads.  I've seen the kind of ads that can show up if you don't filter and I'd really prefer not to.  Wingadangdingy is a small price to pay for that.  Tweaking the text in relationship is a small price as well.

I find the filter more amusing than annoying.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 05:16:29 PM »
I liked rel@tionship, especially in comparison to now, when we get thread titles with "rel[ color=black]ationship[ /color]" in them.

Edited to add spaces to make my point clearer...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:53:34 AM by Ms_Cellany »
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, 05:29:38 PM »
I find the filter more amusing than annoying.
I love the filter and now use the replacement terms IRL in lieu of those "bad" words.

Sweet monkey fritters! The cat missed the darned litter box again.  Thank Diety for puppy pads.

The bacon fed knave bought the last buttermilk donut!

Spinning slightly OT - My DH is a volunteer DJ at the local college radio station and the local public radio station.  He has modified his choice of words off air so he will sound natural without using words banned by the FCC.  He used to use the "f-bomb" liberally, even inserting it into words.  Not any more.  Between the FCC and ehell, our language is both more and less colorful: Fewer swear words, but now we employ our extensive vocabularies in search of the most descriptive word, not the most common one.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 11:14:56 AM »
I agree we're all adults, but (1) people may disagree as to what is an accepted word, and the filters make it clear when you've gone over the line, and (2) people under stress who feel like swearing may sometimes not realize just how far they're going, until they've hit that "send" button.

Also, trolls will find it hard to go, "HEEEYY! I just typed a bunch of obscenities on an etiquette site! I'm SOOOOO witty!" when they see they've been writing CRUD MONKEYS and CRIVINS!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 09:04:27 PM »
I agree we're all adults, but (1) people may disagree as to what is an accepted word, and the filters make it clear when you've gone over the line, and (2) people under stress who feel like swearing may sometimes not realize just how far they're going, until they've hit that "send" button.

Also, trolls will find it hard to go, "HEEEYY! I just typed a bunch of obscenities on an etiquette site! I'm SOOOOO witty!" when they see they've been writing CRUD MONKEYS and CRIVINS!
CRIVINS! is my new go-to phrase IRL.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »

CRIVINS! is my new go-to phrase IRL.

We have the Nac Mac Feegle to thank for the word Crivins.
Utah

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 05:17:47 PM »

The duck flies at midnight. Sshhhhhhh.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 12:20:13 AM »
I'd still like to see ZOUNDS! as a replacement word! ;D
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.