Author Topic: Funny things you've said/done while under anesthesia  (Read 13799 times)

ettiquit

Funny things you've said/done while under anesthesia
« on: November 04, 2011, 08:03:21 AM »
Inspired by http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=109670.0

Coming out of a twilight sleep after an endoscopy, I apparently repeatedly asked the nurse for a copy of the video of the procedure "for my brother".  I also got pretty mad at the doctor who walked away while I was asking him questions.  Rude, right?  Except when I mentioned it to my DH later, he said "Honey, you didn't say a word while the doctor was with us.  You just stared at him."

I still maintain that the questions I was asking him in my head were probably pretty important.   :D

Phoebelion

Re: Funny things you've said/done while under anesthesia
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 08:16:56 AM »
I was knocked out when they pulled my wisdom teeth years ago.  Exdh told me I told the surgeon he should really stop wearing that horrible topee.

Oops!

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:33:41 AM »
My dearest mother had a colonoscopy a few years back. She wasn't "out" but was sedated. When she got home we noticed she was still super loopy. The thing I remember most was her answering a phonecall and then trying to write down a number.

Caller: "555-"
Mom: "555-"
Mom actually writes down 333
Me: "Mom... it's 555"
Mom: "I know! Points to paper "See... 555..."
Me: "Mom those are 3's
Mom: "No the number is 555-"
Again she writes down the wrong numbers...
Me: "I'm going to just take the phone now..."

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:04:13 PM »
Anesthesia apparently short-circuits my DH's memory.  After his wisdom tooth removal, DH kept insisting that he was totally fine and had fully recovered from the anesthesia (after 10 minutes - yeah right!).  While driving home, he kept looking out the window and asking me what we were doing.  I would say "driving on the freeway" or "driving home" and he would say "this doesn't look hard, I could do this". (at this point, he was like 28, and had been driving for 10-12 years)  :D 
When we got to the exit for our city, DH said with some alarm, "Where are we?".  I told him we'd just exited onto Street.  "Oh!" he said, "How did we get here already?  We just left!".   ::)  Yep, previous 30 minutes of driving (and all related questions/comments) were totally forgotten.  When we got home, he fell asleep on the couch and woke up having forgotten that he had the surgery!  Totally didn't believe me until I asked if his jaw hurt and he admitted it did.

Angel B.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »
When I got my teeth pulled for my braces(regular teeth, I don't have wisdom teeth), I really REALLY wanted to drive my Mom home after the procedure. It's safe to say my Mom said "No." :D
My greatest treasure is love beyond measure.
-Il barbiere di Siviglia

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:51:41 PM »
Lets see.

Ticked off at the Dr. for not letting me keep my tonsils. Preceded to cuss him out. . . but was actually cussing out the TV which had Jerry springer on.

Ended up kissing on of the nurses when I woke up from another procedure.  He was startled. :D

Kept seeing puppies and trying to catch them when I had my wisdom teeth out.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »
I had an "exploding head" incident after my hyster last year. I heard this huge bang and screamed, and woke up.

The Sweetie was in the room with me as I went through a panicked "What was THAT?", assuring me that all had been silence. I hadn't even screamed out loud.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »
I cried hysterically...and I remember it too.  The dentist had me leave from a back door so not to scare other patients.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 03:24:18 PM »
Wisdom teeth extraction: I woke up, and had tears streaming down my face, not from pain, but from the anasthesia.

Colonoscopy; i remember waking up, and being on my side, and kind of yelling something at the nurse, but I don't remember what, but along the lines of hey, hey, come here.  I apologized and was quite embarassed but since I'm sure the recovery nurses have heard it all, she said no problem.

debster79

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 03:39:50 PM »
How about this one?  I just had oral surgery and told my son "I won't have Arnold Schwarzenegger's children."  Deity only knows where that came from; and I don't know who's more relieved about that:  Me, my husband or Arnie. LOL!

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 03:43:46 PM »
After being given nitrous oxide to prep me for a filling, I kicked the dentist in the head.
Words mean things.

Syfygeek

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 04:12:05 PM »
I am so glad it's not just me!  I had my wisdom teeth cut out, and the doc I went to used headphones with music piped in so patients couldn't hear the saws or whatever.

I woke up singing Led Zeppelin. even though I think I hate Led Zep, I evidently know all the words to Black Dog Rag and Stairway to Heaven. And sang along under sedation, in recovery, and after the headphones were no longer in use, all the way home!
That's my purse! I don't know you!

norli

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 02:59:34 AM »
During a dental procedure, I apparently kept repeating "amalgam." Amalgam. Ammmalllgaammmmmm. I only remember saying it once. I was actually getting a composite resin repair, but the anesthesized brain didn't think that sounded as cool, I guess.

Everlee

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 10:12:52 AM »
I had my wisdom teeth out when I was in high school and I remember waking up and crying hysterically for my mom.  I could see her in the hallway filling out paperwork and laughing as I kept repeating "Mommmmmmyyyyy!!!  Where's my mommy????" over and over.
Then on the way home, the guaze in my mouth fell out and I was horrified and freaked out thinking it was my tongue that had fallen out.

booklover03

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 10:48:13 AM »
I didn't do anything funny per se, but the day I got my wisdom teeth (all 4) out we ran into my 4th grade teacher. My mom was walking me through the bank (dentist's office was on the 2nd floor of a bank building) to where my dad had pulled the car up to the curb. I'm barely aware of what's going on and my hair looks like I stuck it in an electrical socket and my mom stops to talk to a lady I can barely make out. Turns out it was my 4th grade teacher. She and my mom continue to talk while I stand there and drool on myself, lol. My dad had to finally come find us to see what was taking so long.