Author Topic: Funny things you've said/done while under anesthesia  (Read 17039 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Funny things you've said/done while under anesthesia
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 08:17:31 AM »
I just remembered a small one from my c-section with DD. Let me preface this by saying I've never been high before, on anything. So they administer the spinal and lay me down and I was chilly so they covered me with a warm blanket while we waited for everything to get prepped. I'm laying there feeling really good and I turn to DH and say dreamily "You know I've never done drugs, but if this is what it feels like, I can see why people get addicted." Then I heard my surgeons and nurses giggling at me.  :D

Little Jo

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »
I had  a long argument with my then boyfriend that cats can fly!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2011, 09:11:53 AM »
DAZI! LOL.  That's hilarious, with apologies to your surgeon lol.

I do still feel bad about it, but it is kind of funny now.  I woke up about 1/2 through the procedure and they had to re juice me and restrain me.

I’ve had that happen, too. I have only the vaguest of memories of it – which really could just be my imagination filling in the blanks, who knows? – but after one of my oral surgeries I had a hand shaped bruise on my leg. I do remember the nurse who was on that side of me and she was just a little tiny thing; it’s a wonder they were able to restrain me. Anesthesia usually makes me feel goooood, but that was with the “roofie-colada” sedative, so … ? That stuff knocks you out and blocks memories (hence my not remembering gong to the dentist at all when I woke up) so I really have no idea what really happened.

Gish, my adamantly atheist boyfriend, tried to discuss religion and sociology in the car while making confetti out of tissues and throwing it around his sister’s car. We took blackmail pictures of that incident  >:D

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »
I begged and begged my mom to pull over for a vanilla latte after an out patient surgery I had.  She finally did and then when she gave it to me I ask her "What the F*** is that?"

My mom said she mearly spilled hot cooffee on herself because I never talk to her like that.  But then she started laughing because i really did start poking it.  I even dipped a finger in it and sniffed it.  I seemed truely confused about what it is.
93 93/93

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2012, 03:15:29 PM »
I came out with some doozers on diamorphine. and a spinal block...

"I like pizza. It's got to be a proper pizza, though." (As opposed to a pretend one?)
"No, no, I know I am not going to be -" (just before I erm vomited into the container the nice midwife had ready for me)
"Look, can you see those lights moving?" (I don't know)

When they lifted him out for me to see him, I said "How much does he weigh?????" The surgeon (a man with a wonderful sense of humour) said "Hey, we still haven't cut the cord yet!!!" When they did, and they were cleaning us both up (and sewing me back together again) I asked "What time was it?" They knew what I meant and said "2.27". Apropos of nothing I said "He looks like a Charlie. It's his face."

Excuse the baby mentioning but that was the only time I can recall that I have been under any sort of anaesthesia strong enough to make me feel like that lol.

*Bump thread*
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »
All the stories about wisdom teeth reminded me of this video.  It's super cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G8iECWpDAw

Nora

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2012, 04:35:24 PM »

"What's in my mouth?"
"Gauze."
"WHY?!"

I lolled!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Jules1980

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2012, 04:51:47 PM »
I had to have a procedure done last Friday that I was put to sleep for.  I didn't do anything strange while under or coming out of the anesthesia sleep.  At least, not according to my husband.  I talked to the Doctor and was coherent with my questions and even remembered that I needed to take my morning meds when the nurses brought me Sprite to drink.  However, I came away from all this absolutely convinced that the Dr. told me that I didn't have to keep my follow-up appointment with him if I didn't feel I needed it.  I would put money on that the Dr. told me something to the effect of 'I scheduled you a follow up appointment in a month, but you don't have to come in if you want to.'  I thought okay strange, but hey, whatever.  This probably isn't a very big deal in the scope of things for him, no matter how huge of a deal it is to me.  It was a very minor procedure. 

Later on, a few days afterwards when my head cleared I asked DH if I had heard this correctly.  He said he didn't hear that and when I insisted that Dr. had told me it wasn't necessary unless I felt it was, DH asked, "If he didn't think you needed to come in, why would he have took the time to call his office and schedule the appointment for you?  Wouldn't it have been easier to just tell you to make an appointment in a month if you felt like you needed it?"  This Dr. isn't usually overbooked.  Anytime you call for an appointment they can usually work you in within a week.

When faced with that logic, I saw the flaw in my memory.

JennJenn68

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »
My husband tells me that I was very odd after I'd been sedated for a colonoscopy a number of years ago.  Apparently I acted completely normally, until I announced that we needed to go grocery shopping.  He took me to the grocery store, and I spent a good twenty minutes wandering around putting really weird things in our cart--especially lots of cookies and crackers that he knew for a fact that I never ate and didn't particularly like, as well as a big bag of dill pickle potato chips.  I can't stand any kind of flavoured potato chips, but even if I did I would think that dill pickle would be my last resort if it was a question of "eat this or starve to death".  The only possible explanation I have for this behaviour is that I had been without solid food for forty-eight hours and my body was simply trying to fill in the gaps with the maximum calories possible.

The next day, I was completely baffled to find all of these items, most of them opened and with several obviously eaten.  I still have no memory of the day of the colonoscopy in question.  Still can't fathom why I had a bag from the hospital gift shop which, when opened, contained a stuffed dinosaur that roared when you pressed its belly.  (There was a receipt, thank heaven!  At least I hadn't absentmindedly shoplifted it...)  My husband still swears that I spoke in a normal fashion, and he only had an idea that I wasn't quite myself when we went shopping.  He has threatened to take me to a local model train store the next time that I have to be sedated--and then he'll be able to swear that I approved all of his purchases!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2012, 06:09:04 PM »
I had a colonoscopy this morning. Apparently the anesthetic doubles as a teleportation device. I was in the procedure room, wide awake, then hey presto! I was in the recovery room, wide awake. No dropping off or waking up. Just here, then there.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2012, 09:37:50 PM »
While I wasn't actually knocked out, I did have a rather interesting happening with an in office medical procedure.  I have a bit of white coat syndrome, so the doc gave me a rx for Valium or something similar.

I was instructed to take it just before I left the house.  I had my procedure done and as DH was driving me home I insisted he stop at Sonic.  I ate a bunch of weird crap I never eat and drank an entire Route 44 cherry lime slushy.  My DH said he has never seen me talk so much ever...and I talk a lot.

I was supposed to stay in bed for the rest of the day.  I kept getting up and wondering around and kept begging for round two of Sonic.  My DH finally got me to stay in bed and I zonked out for 16 straight hours.  I remember none of it.zero, zilch, Nada.

My DH said I was hands down the most annoying person ever until I finally went  to sleep...also I know the most bizarre trivia because I kept quoting him weird and useless facts. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2012, 12:00:41 AM »
Um, okay, let's work backwards from a couple of weeks ago.

Held conversations with the staff in French. Groped the Dr. in front of my DH while both of them laughed hysterically.

Sang the Cell Block Tango from Chicago, complete with commentary and random writhing that was supposed to be dancing.

Demanded freedom for all of the oppressed pygmy marmosets that were being kept as sweatshop labor. Demanded a boycott of Ticketmaster due to the company's policy of racism against koalas.
Sang dirty dirty lymerics to all and sundry.

Demanded cake and icecream.

No stories myself but that is funny!!!
 ;D
Stewart/Colbert '16

snowfire

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2012, 01:16:55 AM »
Not exactly an anesthetic problem.  Those just make me hork up my toenails unless I'm handled pretty carefully.

As I mentioned in the Hugs thread, I'm having both knees replaced in the next couple of months.  (First one a month from tomorrow.)  My doctor gave me a prescription for Percoset because it is the usual pain pill he gives people after surgery & he wanted to see how I tolerate it.  Percodan gives me absolute splitting headaches.

The good news: It doesn't give me "shoot me now" headaches.
The bad news: It makes me very loopy and kind of "otherworldly" feeling.

I decided that it was a REALLY good idea to get off the computer before I posted something terminally stupid. (I was reading Ehell  ;D )  I went and crawled into bed at about 3 in the afternoon and slept on and off until 7 the next morning.  I still felt a little off.  I'm never taking that stuff unless I can go straight to bed. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 05:55:39 PM by snowfire »

JennJenn68

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2012, 07:26:07 AM »
Not exactly an anesthetic problem.  Those just make me hork up my toenails unless I'm handled pretty carefully.

As I mentioned in the Hugs thread, I'm having both knees replaced in the next couple of months.  (First one a week from tomorrow.)  My doctor gave me a prescription for Percoset because it is the usual pain pill he gives people after surgery & he wanted to see how I tolerate it.  Percodan gives me absolute splitting headaches.

The good news: It doesn't give me "shoot me now" headaches.
The bad news: It makes me very loopy and kind of "otherworldly" feeling.

I decided that it was a REALLY good idea to get off the computer before I posted something terminally stupid. (I was reading Ehell  ;D )  I went and crawled into bed at about 3 in the afternoon and slept on and off until 7 the next morning.  I still felt a little off.  I'm never taking that stuff unless I can go straight to bed. 

Yeah, it does the same to me.  I'm told that there are people out there who actually crave that feeling and enjoy it.  I just go right to bed if I have to take it.  (It hasn't happened very often, thank heaven!)

I find that Percocet also has a number of nasty side effects in the stomach department for me, so I have to be truly desperate to take it.  If it's the only thing that you'll be able to tolerate because of your knee surgery, take it.  Just don't post on Ehell when you've done so!  >:D

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2012, 12:05:01 PM »

"What's in my mouth?"
"Gauze."
"WHY?!"

I lolled!

That was awesome! It reminded me of a video I saw on AFV of a teenage girl who asks what's in her mouth, is told "gauze", and replies "GOD IS IN MY MOUTH??"  ;D