A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Are there any Nederlanders on the board?

(1/4) > >>

Dark Annie:
I am a Dutch citizen through my father, but I was born in a lil ole place called Wagga Wagga and raised in Sydney. This week I had my Dutch nationality confirmed and I filled out the paperwork for a Europese Unie Koninkrijk der Nederlanden Paspoort. Hooray!

The problem is that although I have considered myself a Dutch woman all my life, and identified with my Dutch side more than my Australian side, I feel like a terrible citizen because apart from WW2 history and the mutiny on the Batavia I know NOTHING really about Dutch culture and society and, as silly as it sounds, I really want to be a good Dutch citizen. So fellow Dutchies, what are the essentials of being Dutch? What are the basic things I should know? Help!

On the bright side, I can get pretty close to saying schaap!

Shores:
Sheep! :D

I'm an American, but I lived in Delft, Netherlands for 5 years. I moved back to the US in 2010, but def got a fair dose of Dutch culture and society, although through an American viewpoint. It's a bit of a massive thing to tackle in a general sense (I bet it'd be hard to respond if someone said "Tell me about being Australian"?) but if you have specific questions, I'd be happy to give you my take on things.

marcel:
I will agree with Shores that answering more specific questions is easier then giving general descriptions of the Dutch or Dutch culture.

I must congratulate you though, if you can really pronounce the Dutch sch- sound. This is practically impossible for any non-Dutch person.

Dark Annie:

--- Quote from: Shores on November 05, 2011, 01:46:59 AM ---Sheep! :D

I'm an American, but I lived in Delft, Netherlands for 5 years. I moved back to the US in 2010, but def got a fair dose of Dutch culture and society, although through an American viewpoint. It's a bit of a massive thing to tackle in a general sense (I bet it'd be hard to respond if someone said "Tell me about being Australian"?) but if you have specific questions, I'd be happy to give you my take on things.

--- End quote ---

I guess... well in Australia, we have what's called the citizenship test, which tests basic concepts of Australian-ism or something. I guess I'm looking for the Dutch version. Although in Australia, you test your citizenship by eating Vegemite, but if the equivalent in the Netherlands is being able to consume rollmops, then I'm taking myself out of the running!!  :-X

marcel:

--- Quote from: Dark Annie on November 05, 2011, 04:09:52 AM ---
--- Quote from: Shores on November 05, 2011, 01:46:59 AM ---Sheep! :D

--- End quote ---

I guess... well in Australia, we have what's called the citizenship test, which tests basic concepts of Australian-ism or something. I guess I'm looking for the Dutch version. Although in Australia, you test your citizenship by eating Vegemite, but if the equivalent in the Netherlands is being able to consume rollmops, then I'm taking myself out of the running!!  :-X

--- End quote ---
I agree with the rolmops remark, in so far that the Hollansche nieuwe is the way to eat herring.

It is not clear from your posts whether you speak Dutch or not,. If you do, then here is the link to some citizen ship practice tests:http://www.inburgering.org/inburgeraar/examen/oefenen_met_examens/oefenen_met_examens.asp Allthough I have to say that I do not agree with everything they say.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version