Author Topic: Are there any Nederlanders on the board?  (Read 2611 times)

Dark Annie

Are there any Nederlanders on the board?
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:35:37 AM »
I am a Dutch citizen through my father, but I was born in a lil ole place called Wagga Wagga and raised in Sydney. This week I had my Dutch nationality confirmed and I filled out the paperwork for a Europese Unie Koninkrijk der Nederlanden Paspoort. Hooray!

The problem is that although I have considered myself a Dutch woman all my life, and identified with my Dutch side more than my Australian side, I feel like a terrible citizen because apart from WW2 history and the mutiny on the Batavia I know NOTHING really about Dutch culture and society and, as silly as it sounds, I really want to be a good Dutch citizen. So fellow Dutchies, what are the essentials of being Dutch? What are the basic things I should know? Help!

On the bright side, I can get pretty close to saying schaap!

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
Re: Are there any Nederlanders on the board?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:46:59 AM »
Sheep! :D

I'm an American, but I lived in Delft, Netherlands for 5 years. I moved back to the US in 2010, but def got a fair dose of Dutch culture and society, although through an American viewpoint. It's a bit of a massive thing to tackle in a general sense (I bet it'd be hard to respond if someone said "Tell me about being Australian"?) but if you have specific questions, I'd be happy to give you my take on things.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

marcel

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 03:53:00 AM »
I will agree with Shores that answering more specific questions is easier then giving general descriptions of the Dutch or Dutch culture.

I must congratulate you though, if you can really pronounce the Dutch sch- sound. This is practically impossible for any non-Dutch person.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Dark Annie

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 04:09:52 AM »

I'm an American, but I lived in Delft, Netherlands for 5 years. I moved back to the US in 2010, but def got a fair dose of Dutch culture and society, although through an American viewpoint. It's a bit of a massive thing to tackle in a general sense (I bet it'd be hard to respond if someone said "Tell me about being Australian"?) but if you have specific questions, I'd be happy to give you my take on things.

I guess... well in Australia, we have what's called the citizenship test, which tests basic concepts of Australian-ism or something. I guess I'm looking for the Dutch version. Although in Australia, you test your citizenship by eating Vegemite, but if the equivalent in the Netherlands is being able to consume rollmops, then I'm taking myself out of the running!!  :-X

marcel

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 04:53:02 AM »

I guess... well in Australia, we have what's called the citizenship test, which tests basic concepts of Australian-ism or something. I guess I'm looking for the Dutch version. Although in Australia, you test your citizenship by eating Vegemite, but if the equivalent in the Netherlands is being able to consume rollmops, then I'm taking myself out of the running!!  :-X
I agree with the rolmops remark, in so far that the Hollansche nieuwe is the way to eat herring.

It is not clear from your posts whether you speak Dutch or not,. If you do, then here is the link to some citizen ship practice tests:http://www.inburgering.org/inburgeraar/examen/oefenen_met_examens/oefenen_met_examens.asp Allthough I have to say that I do not agree with everything they say.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Dark Annie

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 06:10:48 AM »

I agree with the rolmops remark, in so far that the Hollansche nieuwe is the way to eat herring.

It is not clear from your posts whether you speak Dutch or not,. If you do, then here is the link to some citizen ship practice tests:http://www.inburgering.org/inburgeraar/examen/oefenen_met_examens/oefenen_met_examens.asp Allthough I have to say that I do not agree with everything they say.

No, I don't speak Dutch. Dad used to sing Slaap Kindje Slaap to me as a kidling, and I can understand the words in that, but by the time I was born (1986) he hadn't spoken Dutch in years. He could still understand it, but couldn't speak it.

tjika

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 07:47:12 AM »
Dutchy here, though I lived abroad for the first 16 years of my life. The dutch citizen test mentioned is one I would need to study for. I failed horribly on the practice version. Thank fully I don't have to take the test :)
As with each culture, cultural practices vary widely by area (even though the country is rather small).

One essential of being dutch is being able to ride a bicycle with lots of bags attached all over it :) Its preferable to add some kids some where too.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 10:59:23 AM »
Dutchy here, though I lived abroad for the first 16 years of my life. The dutch citizen test mentioned is one I would need to study for. I failed horribly on the practice version. Thank fully I don't have to take the test :)
As with each culture, cultural practices vary widely by area (even though the country is rather small).

One essential of being dutch is being able to ride a bicycle with lots of bags attached all over it :) Its preferable to add some kids some where too.
Kids, schmids! I once watched these two guys bike through town, keeping perfect pace together, balancing a freaking SOFA between them! And on top of that couch? A crate of beer. It was...... awe-inspiring.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Steve

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
And you need to eat cheese. Lots and lots of cheese.

Catananche

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »

Kids, schmids! I once watched these two guys bike through town, keeping perfect pace together, balancing a freaking SOFA between them! And on top of that couch? A crate of beer. It was...... awe-inspiring.

The first few meters are the hard bit, once you are moving, it's easy!

Two kids (one in front, one on the back), a stroller and my weekly groceries is the most I've managed in one go.

For the OP: what part of The Netherlands did your father come from? I think I'd start to read up on where your roots are first. Maybe find an English written newspaper with Dutch news to learn about the current things.
I'm also wondering about Dutch communities in Australia, there must be some since so many Dutch moved to Australia in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Maybe you could contact them for idea's?

Dark Annie

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 01:49:13 AM »
For the OP: what part of The Netherlands did your father come from? I think I'd start to read up on where your roots are first. Maybe find an English written newspaper with Dutch news to learn about the current things.
I'm also wondering about Dutch communities in Australia, there must be some since so many Dutch moved to Australia in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Maybe you could contact them for idea's?

My father was born in Haarlem and lived on the Kalverstraat in Amsterdam until 1953, when his family immigrated to Fremantle, Australia. My Oma was from Sneek and Opa was from Amsterdam (all are deceased). The idea of checking out some Dutch groups is a really good idea and something I'm going to look into, as well as seeing if there are any English language Dutch newspapers in Sydney.

Based on the information you guys have given me, I'm a bit more Dutch than I thought! I love bike riding and my ideal meal is one that consists entirely of cheese, especially really really strong ones like blue vein. And don't get me started about speculaas!

tjika

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 03:53:20 AM »
If your oma was from Sneek she was probably Frisian. Add another culture to your list to check out  ;)

Steve

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 09:21:07 AM »
Dark Annie, are you celebrating Sinterklaas? It is coming up :)

Also: http://www.dutchnews.nl/ how about this one ?

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 09:47:18 AM »
I must be tired I read it as Neanderthals and spent a few minutes wondering why anyone would be one. Huge congrats.

StarFaerie

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 04:21:05 AM »

Based on the information you guys have given me, I'm a bit more Dutch than I thought! I love bike riding and my ideal meal is one that consists entirely of cheese, especially really really strong ones like blue vein. And don't get me started about speculaas!

Mmmm, Speculaas. It's that time again. My Mum will be baking hers soon and it is lekker.