Author Topic: Roller Skating Etiquette  (Read 3558 times)

Chivewarrior

Roller Skating Etiquette
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:09:30 AM »
My school had a roller skating evening for the students in one of the big auditoriums. I enjoy roller skating, so I went.

Some general etiquette rules for roller skating:

1. It is rude to skate four people abreast so that you are blocking the flow of traffic. (Especially since the people who do that tend to be the inexperienced skaters who are hanging on to friends for balance.) I'm curious whether it's okay to hold hands if there's only two of you, though. I can see wanting to hold hands with your friend but I had a lot more trouble avoiding people holding hands than I had avoiding individual skaters.

2. Try to keep up with the flow of traffic-- it's slower on the edge and faster in the middle. Try to end up close to where your speed actually is. And don't go against the flow of traffic.

3. Do not raise your broomstick above your head. This one I was guilty of (Harry and the Potters were playing, so it was Harry Potter themed, so there were broomsticks, though since it takes some skill to roller skate with a broomstick not too many people had them), and realized why it was a bad idea when I saw someone have to duck under it. If you're holding it horizontally above your head, it is going to hit the head of anyone taller than you.

4. Don't be drunk. They've improved about this from my freshman year when I was knocked down several times by drunken skaters, but really, roller skates and alcohol are just a bad combination. This is one of those situations where even if it's a disco ball party, you should stay sober for reasons of safety and politeness. (Since crashing into someone is both dangerous and rude.)

5. In a similar vein, don't spill your beer on the floor where people are skating. If you do, clean it up quickly. The reasons for this should be fairly obvious.

So, anyone else have roller skating rules/commentary on these ones?

Morty'sCleaningLady

Re: Roller Skating Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:32:18 AM »
I have never been to a roller rink that allowed beverages on the floor.  That's crazy!

(Of course, I haven't been to a roller rink since 1986.)
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Larrabee

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:02:22 AM »
I don't roller skate, but I've ice skated a fair few times.

I'd say two adults holding hands is fine, any more than that is probably not.  An adult can hold the hands of two children, one either side.

If you aren't able to avoid hitting people if they fall or stop suddenly, go slower!  Its up to everybody on the ice/in the rink to recognise their limits and act accordingly.

Pinky830

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:04:48 AM »
Don't skate in the wrong direction! Even if your friend is just over THERE and you just HAVE to go speak to them.

Don't let your small child stand in the floor area doing something cute, while everyone dodges around them.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:36:45 AM »
I know this goes for Ice skating and I think it also goes for roller skating - The first thing you should learn is how to fall, so not to hurt yourself or someone else.

Can even help you off the rink
The other day I took a tumble on the play ground (We lost a couple of big trees to the drought one fell and left a huge hole. They pulled the other stumps leaving more holes.) The other teachers were shocked how I tucked and rolled with it. Learned as a child while ice skating.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:41:03 AM »
Well honestly I think my first rule would be to NOT bring broom sticks onto the floor, especially not if people are drinking.

I don't think skating 4 abreast, at the wrong speed, or even the wrong way are anything like as bad an idea as broomsticks on the skating floor  :o

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
If you haven't been on skates since the Johnson administration, don't pick a packed time to skate, if possible.  The chances are great that you will become an obstacle.  Some afternoons are less busy, or there are times set aside for (ahem) slower folks.

There's usually a snack bar area with tables.  Pick up your trash and wipe any spills.

Corrall your regular shoes, jackets, skate bags, etc.  Don't leave things in the narrow aisles.

My rink won't allow anyone in if they appear under the influence, but this might not be true where Chive is. 

In an ice rink, don't throw iceballs at one another or bang on the plastic wall.   And don't attempt stunts in the middle of traffic.

Is anyone else a big kid like me, and love to watch the zamboni smooth the ice at closing time?  ;D.  I even love the word "zamboni".

Chivewarrior

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 12:22:14 PM »
My rink won't allow anyone in if they appear under the influence, but this might not be true where Chive is.
It wasn't a rink; it was a big room with a hardwood floor-- the college got people to come in with skates for students to use (we had to surrender either our student ID or our shoes as collateral for the skates to ensure we wouldn't steal them).

And as for the broomsticks-- the only time they got too dangerous was when one broke in the middle of the floor. Generally the people who were confident enough to take broomsticks were the people who were experienced enough to actually use them without getting in everyone else's way.  (There were only about six broomsticks to begin with.)

ilrag

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »
I've never heard of the slow around the edge and faster at the middle rule.  And I've been skating for most of my life. (Ice/roller hockey and now roller derby).

I think with respect to speed I'd say only go as fast as you can safely control (this includes stopping) and don't zip by super close to people who look unstable.

Larrabee

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »
I have to agree that broomsticks don't sound like a good idea.  Even an experienced person can fall, or drop theirs and that's when they become real hazard. 

Where I ice skate you can't take anything on the ice you aren't wearing, not even a backpack, and if your scarf is too long and loose you'll be asked to wrap it tighter.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »
I've never heard of the slow around the edge and faster at the middle rule.  And I've been skating for most of my life. (Ice/roller hockey and now roller derby).

Me either -- though my experience is mostly ice skating.  Actually when I was decent at skating I tended to go on the outskirts of the rink because that gives you more distance to skate.  Putting the fast skaters in the middle just sounds like a great way to make them dizzy from skating quickly in small circles.

Though if you're skating quickly around the outside you do have to pay attention to the beginners who may have to suddenly skate to a wall if they need to stop.   ;D 

Actually, for beginners I think the best thing to do is practice skating on an outdoor rink *before* getting on a shared rink, but that may not be feasible in other countries -- I'm in Canada and where I grew up, each neighbourhood usually had several man-made outdoor rinks or nature-made rinks on ponds.  So it wasn't hard to find a place to practice.

I have to agree that broomsticks don't sound like a good idea.  Even an experienced person can fall, or drop theirs and that's when they become real hazard. 

Where I ice skate you can't take anything on the ice you aren't wearing, not even a backpack, and if your scarf is too long and loose you'll be asked to wrap it tighter.

That's what I'm used to as well -- belongings that could become obstacles are never seen as a good thing in public skating rinks. 

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
C's school had a fundraiser at the local rink last spring (5-8th grade).  I'll add:
1)  If you fall down, don't just lay there.
2)  Don't purposely fall down and pull your friends down with you.
3) No food or drink on the rink.

There was also lots of four across hand holding, against the flow skating, and general obnoxiousness (throwing garbage on the ground, shoving, swearing off the charts, etc).
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
C's school had a fundraiser at the local rink last spring (5-8th grade).  I'll add:
1)  If you fall down, don't just lay there.
2)  Don't purposely fall down and pull your friends down with you.
3) No food or drink on the rink.
4)  You have to wear skates to be out there, no socks only
5)  Don't stand in the middle of the rink and talk to your friends, better yet, text.

There was also lots of four across hand holding, against the flow skating, and general obnoxiousness (throwing garbage on the ground, shoving, swearing off the charts, etc).

Oops double post sorry
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Pinky830

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »
Don't let your small children run across the rink in their sock feet!!  :o >:(

True story from the skating rink this afternoon...an entire extended family was there...it was bad enough that none of them appeared to have ever been on skates. I know you have to start somewhere, but the rest of the crowd today were really good skaters and I kept having to dodge this one group. But I couldn't believe my eyes when they let two little girls of about 3 run onto and  sometimes across the rink in stocking feet, over and over. It was a serious nuisance and put the kids in serious danger.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 07:57:51 PM »
The rink I used to go to growing up would occasionally add on to the "couples skate" idea with "OK now groups of 3, now groups of 4, now bigger groups..." for a special song, but I'd say that other than parents to either side of a child (who should stay to the outside), two is the max there should be unless there's something special like that or the rink is nearly empty.  If you need to hold your friend's hand the first time around for confidence that's fine and will probably help.  If you need to be in a long giggling chain you're actually not helping yourself learn.

The most interesting experience I've had skating was when I went with some coworkers while we were all out of town doing fieldwork.  We were in a small town and looking for something to do after dinner and it was league night at the bowling alley (our normal "bored evening" activity).  We ended up at the rink the same night as it was visited by a busfull of kids from the local school for the blind and deaf.