Etiquette School is in session! > "So kind of you to take an interest."

comments on financial state

<< < (2/6) > >>

Isometric:

--- Quote from: MacadamiaNut on November 06, 2011, 07:40:37 PM ---One time on a first date, the guy asked me what my net worth was.  I wish I had been reading eHell back then.  Ummm, who does that?   ::)

--- End quote ---

Lol, can't imagine why he didn't get a second date!

I had a "friend" who is always asking questions like that - just straight out "how much do you earn?"

nuit93:

--- Quote from: MacadamiaNut on November 06, 2011, 07:40:37 PM ---One time on a first date, the guy asked me what my net worth was.  I wish I had been reading eHell back then.  Ummm, who does that?   ::)

Needless to say there was no second date.

OP, good phrase usage!  Back in the day I would have inquired, "Why are you concerned about that?" but now I know better... why provide an opening for that line of conversation to continue?  Thank you eHell!

--- End quote ---

Maybe he was looking for a sugar mama  >:D

donsbon:
my husband and i get this a lot too. subjects ranging from how many investment properties we have (and therefore how rich we must be, when i reality, we have  LOT of mortgage debt to the bank!), our incomes and the price of my engagement ring seem to all be open for discussion... funny how other people seem to think they know how much my husband spent on my ring, when i dont!

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: donsbon on December 06, 2011, 10:23:06 PM ---my husband and i get this a lot too. subjects ranging from how many investment properties we have (and therefore how rich we must be, when i reality, we have  LOT of mortgage debt to the bank!), our incomes and the price of my engagement ring seem to all be open for discussion... funny how other people seem to think they know how much my husband spent on my ring, when i dont!

--- End quote ---

Or how much he didn't spend!  I have a very beautiful piece of jewelry that cost approximately $15.  People see it and moon over it and say, "Oh, that must have been so expensive!"  Nope, I spent my week's lunch money on it (how much I budgeted myself at the time to force myself to eat more food from home). 

MacadamiaNut:
It does seem to be an obsession with some people... as if they rely on this information for themselves for some purpose.  As to what purpose it serves, I have yet to figure out!  I guess if that's your cup of tea, then great, but it's not for me.  I hate it when people try to estimate how much i make based on where i live, what i do, etc.  These are off-limit conversations.  In terms of a love interest, that has always been a deal-breaker for me!

And i agree, donsbon, it's funny that they have no idea how much student loan debt, as well as other struggles, i have!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version