Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

Comments About Weight from Passerby

(1/22) > >>

hollandoates:
I am a plus size woman. As a result, random strangers will sometimes feel the need to insult me in some way- usually, when I am simply walking past them, minding my own business.

Generally, my response is to ignore them. My self-esteem will sometimes vacillate (doesn't everyone's?), but generally, I feel pretty good about myself- that's why I find these encounters more offensive in principle, than anything else. Really, who behaves this way?! It makes it difficult to know how to respond. I'd really like to dish out a line that is polite but also puts them in their place, but will settle for silence, if need be.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Yvaine:
I have no idea why this happens. It makes no sense to me--especially since when it happens, usually I'm out walking! You'd think that if they were really so conceeerrrrrrned about my weight, they'd be thrilled to see me getting some exercise.  >:D

I just ignore 'em. If they're shouting from a car, they're probably too far ahead before I can get a retort out. If they were also on foot I might shoot them an icy glare of death.

gramma dishes:
How about "You're so light because you have no brain"?   >:D

Amava:
I've not seen this happen in person but each time I read about something like this online, I am really puzzled.
I, like you, just do not understand, at all, why people feel the need to behave this way. I just simply do not get it. Is it their own low self-esteem, their own frustrations, trickling through? Is it a complete lack of empathy, that causes them to see other people not as persons with feelings, but as something they can use for their own entertainment? And then still, how is shouting ugly things to people "entertaining" them? How is that amusing or enjoyable to them? What are they *getting* out of it? Some sort of comfort? Some sort of "self-validation"?  ??? Are *they* the weird ones, or am *I* the weird one for not understanding their mindset?

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: Amava on November 06, 2011, 12:06:23 PM ---I've not seen this happen in person but each time I read about something like this online, I am really puzzled.
I, like you, just do not understand, at all, why people feel the need to behave this way. I just simply do not get it. Is it their own low self-esteem, their own frustrations, trickling through? Is it a complete lack of empathy, that causes them to see other people not as persons with feelings, but as something they can use for their own entertainment? And then still, how is shouting ugly things to people "entertaining" them? How is that amusing or enjoyable to them? What are they *getting* out of it? Some sort of comfort? Some sort of "self-validation"?  ??? Are *they* the weird ones, or am *I* the weird one for not understanding their mindset?

--- End quote ---

In my experience, it's usually carloads of people riding together, and I think they're trying to show off for each other in some way. Now, why they want to "show off" that they're mannerless louts is beyond me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version