Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

Comments About Weight from Passerby

<< < (21/22) > >>

Danika:

--- Quote from: gramma dishes on January 06, 2013, 10:45:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: Yvaine on January 06, 2013, 10:40:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: Annoyed in America on January 06, 2013, 10:38:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: gramma dishes on November 07, 2011, 04:42:13 PM ---I always assume that when a guy makes an ugly comment about another person, especially a woman, he's just trying to divert attention away from the fact that he has a micro p-nis.

--- End quote ---
LMAO  And where I live they also compensate by driving very large pick-up trucks.

--- End quote ---

With those truck testicles hanging off the back.

--- End quote ---

;D ;D ;D

--- End quote ---

::) Vehicles with hanging testicles always make me roll my eyes!

wolfie:

--- Quote from: Fleur on September 03, 2012, 02:23:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: TurtleDove on September 03, 2012, 07:35:57 AM ---I am not advocating the "neg," but the idea is not to actually insult anyone, and done properly it's more flirting banter. I think sometimes people look for "insults" when really there is no actual insult intended (such as in a "neg" situation).

--- End quote ---

I'm a little confused: are you saying it is more about tone, or wording?  I agree that with friends of long standing, things can be said in jest that are, by their tone, robbed of any sting of malice. But I don't see how that would apply to someone you (general) had just met. If a man came up to me and told me I was ugly, I wouldn't be offended: I know I'm not, and I have a thick enough skin to not bother what others think. So I wouldn't by crying into my wine spritzer, but no more would I be giving him the time of day.

--- End quote ---

That's the using it as a sledgehammer part. For a real "neg" it should be subtle, so that she might need to think about it before she realizes it was actually an insult. It also shouldn't be an opener. It would be something dropped in the middle of the conversation to let the woman know that he isn't THAT attracted to her so that she tries to compensate and prove that she is really that attractive, funny, intelligent, whatever. I've read one of those books by a pick-up artist too and realized that if it was done properly I would probably fall for it. It's one of those things that sounds like it is a lot easier then it really is to do properly. But, as the author pointed out, if you are trying to start a real relationship, playing games to pick someone up might not make for the best foundation.

greencat:
Re: Negging: It's kind of like the instructions for it say: "gently tap the glass next to her with a brick to make a ringing sound to attract her attention," and many men abbreviate that into: "Tap her with a brick to attract her attention."

Jocelyn:
What's especially scary about this: a research study came out earlier this week that found out a woman defendant's weight significantly affects juror perceptions of her guilt. Women did not use a defendant's weight in assessing guilt or innocence, and neither did overweight male jurors, but average weight male jurors judged an overweight woman to be significantly more guilty than a slender woman, when the cases were otherwise identical. (obviously, these were mock juries). Average sized men were more likely to perceive an overweight woman as having premeditated the offense, and with malice, than a slender woman.
Really scary stuff.

FizzyChip:

--- Quote from: Jocelyn on January 12, 2013, 07:09:25 PM ---What's especially scary about this: a research study came out earlier this week that found out a woman defendant's weight significantly affects juror perceptions of her guilt. Women did not use a defendant's weight in assessing guilt or innocence, and neither did overweight male jurors, but average weight male jurors judged an overweight woman to be significantly more guilty than a slender woman, when the cases were otherwise identical. (obviously, these were mock juries). Average sized men were more likely to perceive an overweight woman as having premeditated the offense, and with malice, than a slender woman.
Really scary stuff.

--- End quote ---

wow. just wow :-(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version