Author Topic: Wearing of remembrance ribbons/badges  (Read 2482 times)

Sock Puppet

Wearing of remembrance ribbons/badges
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:50:49 PM »
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:50:42 PM by Frozen Lulupop »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Wearing of remembrance ribbons/badges
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
I think people tend to wear or dsiplay ribbons all the time in the US.  Of curse, there are things for those who died in battle but also ribbons for various diseases and causes that don't have "days".

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:58:33 PM »
In Canada it's indeed normal to start wearing them around November 1.  As a matter of fact I saw quite a few people starting to wear them about 10 days ago, and IME that's fairly unusual.

However, many people are insistent that Remembrance Day ends at noon, and you take off your poppy then.  (It's quite usual to place them on the town cenotaph).

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 09:14:05 PM »
As someone who has lived in both the U.S. and Canada, I always get confused myself! (I am Canadian, btw and currently living at home.)

In Canada, I wear my poppy well beforehand and not just on the day.  This is very common in all the places I've lived in Canada.  If you attend a ceremony on the day, you can then offer your poppy there.  There are also various spots around the city I'm in, where you can lay your poppy down in remembrance.

P.S.  Just a quick tip on the poppies, if you are tired of always losing it, put an eraser at the end of the pin.  :)
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »
As someone who has lived in both the U.S. and Canada, I always get confused myself! (I am Canadian, btw and currently living at home.)

In Canada, I wear my poppy well beforehand and not just on the day.  This is very common in all the places I've lived in Canada.  If you attend a ceremony on the day, you can then offer your poppy there.  There are also various spots around the city I'm in, where you can lay your poppy down in remembrance.

P.S.  Just a quick tip on the poppies, if you are tired of always losing it, put an eraser at the end of the pin.  :)

That's a good tip, I was always a chronic poppy-loser - they just about slide out of knit jackets or cardigans.  Another tip - learned from a female Cadet when DS #2 was in Air Cadets - stick the pin through your jacket, and then again out of the lower-edge of the poppy.

Bethczar

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 09:25:07 PM »
I'm in the US, and I haven't seen poppies for years. I'm glad other countries still have the tradition.

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 09:27:58 PM »

That's a good tip, I was always a chronic poppy-loser - they just about slide out of knit jackets or cardigans.  Another tip - learned from a female Cadet when DS #2 was in Air Cadets - stick the pin through your jacket, and then again out of the lower-edge of the poppy.

Yes, that works too sometimes but I found myself pricking myself with the end of the pin accidentally... a lot! And the eraser not only keeps it in place but also helps in the whole not pricking yourself thing.  When a friend of mine mentioned this, I was like, why didn't I ever think of that?!  LOL.
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »
We had a thread on this last year. Not sure if it'll answer your question, but it's a fascinating read:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=86129.0
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Rohanna

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 11:10:25 PM »
I bought a small Canada flag lapel pin, and I pin that through the center of the poppy- I've seen a lot of other people do that too.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 05:55:31 AM »
I'm in the US, and I haven't seen poppies for years. I'm glad other countries still have the tradition.

We have them around here - don't know if it is a small town/Midwest thing.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 06:16:01 AM »
We used to have the VFW selling poppies outside of stores. The are one group I don't mind. Now I never see them. I'll have to ask Coach if his group sells them.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

demarco

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »

I didn't see them for years until we moved back to the Midwest about ten years ago.  They sell them in the vestibule at the local market.  Maybe there was a resurgence after 9/11.  That coincided with our move here.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 08:41:19 AM »
I grew up in Wisconsin and I don't ever remember seeing them.  Of course, it was Madison, which maybe explains it. Since I grew up in the 1970s.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »
In Canada, we do start wearing poppies about November 1st and wear them through November 11.  It used to be that you would wear them all day on the 11th but it has become tradition for those attending cenotaph services to leave them there as they left so others who do not attend services remove their poppies around noon.

The biggest culprit in stripping you of your poppy is the danged seatbelt.  I've started putting a little bit of clear tape around the end of the pin, after I've woven it through, which seems to work.  I'd read that using a flag pin to hold the poppy on was not to be done but after seeing a number of older veterens doing this, I think it is OK.  Afterall, they are some of the ones we are honouring so if it is OK with them...

It is also appropriate to wear a poppy on other occasions that are honoring war dead, such as D-day anniversary memorials.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »

We have them in California too.  There's usually someone from the local VFW selling them outside grocery stores for the couple of weeks leading up to Veteran's Day.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys