Author Topic: Sushi Eating Etiquette  (Read 3485 times)

blarg314

• Super Hero!
Re: Sushi Eating Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 11:35:56 PM »

I have a number of Japanese work colleagues (as in born and raised in Japan), and have eaten Sushi in Tokyo.  They all use chopsticks, and dip their sushi in the soy/wasabi mixture. However, I was told that for the sushi (rice + fish) it's polite to dip it so that only the fish part, rather than the rice part, touches the liquid. This takes quite a bit of coordination.

If you don't like the rice I'd recommend getting the sashimi, which is straight raw fish, no rice, or the chirashi box which is sashimi arranged on a bed of rice.

One piece of Japanese eating etiquette I have picked up is that it's considered rude to pour your own drink out of a shared container. You pour beer for the person sitting next to you, and they pour yours.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 03:22:20 AM »
Well, I guess I'm going to have to be rude, because I get extra pickled ginger and eat it on my sushi.
mmmmmmmm....sushi.........
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 04:36:20 AM »

One piece of Japanese eating etiquette I have picked up is that it's considered rude to pour your own drink out of a shared container. You pour beer for the person sitting next to you, and they pour yours.

I love that idea. I've no experience with it, but it sounds so nice. Usually my crew gets sushi take-out, but the next time i am out with a group i am going to try to remember that.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Nuku

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 10:28:04 AM »
On a related topic, I would like to point out that whoever invented tempura sushi was a genius!

I only order veg. sushi, and I never get sushi with avocado, which is a very American way to make it. (I'm not a sushi purist - I just don't like avocadoes.) I've never specifically ordered sushi without avocado, though - I just order the rolls that don't have it. Is it considered rude to order a modified version of a roll, one that doesn't appear on the menu?

42_42_42

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 03:43:04 PM »
...snip... it's very bad manners to eat only the fish and leave the rice - she keeps trying to convince her dad that he needs to stop doing that when they go out for Japanese food.

Um, if he just wants the fish then he should order sashimi.

Jenzilla

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 04:54:47 PM »
it's very bad manners to eat only the fish and leave the rice - she keeps trying to convince her dad that he needs to stop doing that when they go out for Japanese food.
*gets up weakly from having fallen over in shock*  I'm sorry, but PLEASE tell me you're joking?

Oh, sorry, just repeating what I've been told!

And yes, 42, DD always tells him to order sashimi instead, I don't know why he won't listen to her.

Sefie

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 06:27:22 PM »
I only order veg. sushi, and I never get sushi with avocado, which is a very American way to make it. (I'm not a sushi purist - I just don't like avocadoes.) I've never specifically ordered sushi without avocado, though - I just order the rolls that don't have it. Is it considered rude to order a modified version of a roll, one that doesn't appear on the menu?
If we're talking about a kaiseki-type meal (ie: where you are served different kinds of sushi as a sampling of the chef's ability), then you can tell them your dietary requirements (eg: allergies, general preferences), and they will accomodate them.  But in my opinion, this sort of eating experience should be all about trying stuff that you might not normally like.

extranormal

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 08:04:24 PM »
I'm a sushi virgin, but I really want to try. What do you all suggest for a total newbie?

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 03:43:36 AM »
I'm a sushi virgin, but I really want to try. What do you all suggest for a total newbie?

For a newbie the veggie rolls are often less intimidating, or the ones with fake crab.  As far as I know, crab, shrimp, egg and eel are always cooked.  That gives you an idea of the style of presentation without the raw fish part.

There are four main styles - handroll, which looks like an ice cream cone made of seaweed, maki, which are the little cylindrical ones, sushi, which is a small chunk of the rice with the fish on top, and sashimi, which is plain raw fish.  (This is common parlance, but to be accurate, 'sushi' is the name for the rice/vinegar combination)

For the raw fish, tuna and salmon are common starting points. Both have a nice texture and taste, and are relatively inexpensive.

I'd recommend ordering a combo at a mid range restaurant. You'll get a variety of different types, and be able to figure out what you like best.

RoseRose

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2007, 05:32:40 PM »

I'd recommend ordering a combo at a mid range restaurant. You'll get a variety of different types, and be able to figure out what you like best.

Another good way to go is find one of the sushi places that sends plates around on a conveyor belt, and go with a friend.  You can pick ones to share (they usually have anywhere from 2 to 6 pieces depending on the sushi on the little plates), and try what looks interesting, and doing it with a friend you can try more than if you did it by yourself.  These conveyor belt places, you pay by the plate, and they're color-coded.

I agree with salmon and tuna being good starts for raw fish.  Also, you may like fish raw you don't like cooked, so don't NOT try based on not liking a cooked fish.  For example, I'm not a big mackerel fan when it's cooked, but the sushi version is pretty good, to me.

Niphil

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2007, 06:02:19 PM »
Wasabi is antibacterial, and was used as such in the past in Japan, so it blows me away that someone would say not to use wasabi at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but not having wasabi with my sushi is like not having ketchup on my burgers. Fine for some people, but not for me.

cocacola35

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 10:19:10 AM »
DH and I do sushi every week with friends.  We were watching either the food network or the travel channel the other day and heard the same thing about how one does not dip the sushi in soy/wasabi and sushi is eaten with fingers.  That is something that is done only in America and other countries.

Personally, I say that if you like the soy sauce and wasabi, then go for it.  I figure if they are going to give me that stuff, then they are giving it to me to use and not to do so would be rude  ;) .

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 10:39:55 AM »

If you live in the Dallas area, there is that excellent Sushi/Japanese buffet in Addison.  Then, if you find you don't like it, there is also the tempura they always have. 

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 10:53:08 PM »
DH and I do sushi every week with friends.  We were watching either the food network or the travel channel the other day and heard the same thing about how one does not dip the sushi in soy/wasabi and sushi is eaten with fingers.  That is something that is done only in America and other countries.

Personally, I say that if you like the soy sauce and wasabi, then go for it.  I figure if they are going to give me that stuff, then they are giving it to me to use and not to do so would be rude  ;) .

I've been given chopsticks with my sashimi in Tokyo, if that helps. 

I don't think all sushi should be eaten with soy and wasabi.  If I'm getting something like scallops or uni I want to savour the flavour of the seafood.

I could see different rules for high end places with a real, properly trained sushi chef (a process that takes years), but I've never dined anywhere that expensive.

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 04:45:15 AM »
I'm more of a maki eater, and I found a solution for the soy sauce ;D .

I don't know if it would be considered polite in Japan... truth be told, I don't think so. I usually order cucumber makis, or "surimi" (fake crab) makis. Sometimes I even order what they call the "California Maki" here, where you have the surimi+avocado, a touch of mayonnaise (I think that's it) , the algae and THEN the rice and seeds. Pretty delicious.

I take the maki, put a bit of wasabi, reach for the sauce bottle and pour one or two drops on my maki. There, no sauce wasted :P .
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .