News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 26, 2015, 11:52:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lent starts on Wednesday  (Read 2435 times)

Mergatroyd

Re: Lent starts on Wednesday
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
I am sort of struggling with this concept, not as a whole but as how to apply it to my life in a benefical way.  Since I don't currently belong to any sort of organized religion, but I am curious, I think I will come at it from the other side: To be More, instead if Giving up something. 

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 04:36:40 PM »
We had a midday service today for imposition of ashes, and the sermon was about how a successful life is not measured in the work we accomplish, but in how much grace we receive. And receiving requires empty hands. It was lovely.

Benni

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 07:27:19 PM »
I am sort of struggling with this concept, not as a whole but as how to apply it to my life in a benefical way.  Since I don't currently belong to any sort of organized religion, but I am curious, I think I will come at it from the other side: To be More, instead if Giving up something. 

That is exactly what I am trying this year.  To be more, instead of giving up my soda or chocolate.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 09:59:08 PM »
What I said upthread about a mortification and a training of the will... and...we fast because Christ fasted. He fasted in the dessert for 40 days and 40 nights.

Do you have the tradition of "offering it up"? Fasting is about that as well, offering our inconvenience, pain, sacrifice and uniting it to Christ's sacrifice on the cross. "Offering it up" isn't just about Lenten fasting, anything suffering can be offered up. Frequently, you "offer it up" for a specific thing, e.g. the poor souls in Purgatory.
NFPwife, thank you for this view on suffering.   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cattlekid

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2015, 06:26:36 PM »
My husband is Serbian Orthodox.  Here is the Orthodox view on fasting, specifically the fast for Easter (Pascha).  It is slightly different for different branches of the Orthodox faith but this is a concise overview.

Calendar week prior to Lent:  No animal products other than eggs and dairy
All weeks of Lent other than Holy Week : on weekdays no meat, no fish other than shellfish, no eggs, no dairy, no oil and no alcohol.  On weekends, you can have oil and alcohol. 
Holy Week:  same restrictions as other weeks, except you can have oil and alcohol on the evening of Holy Thursday.  No food is to be eaten at all from Thursday evening to Sunday after the liturgy.

I don't personally know many people who follow these rules other than parish priests and their families. DH has tried in the past and only gotten through it one year in his youth.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2015, 06:43:43 PM »
My husband is Serbian Orthodox.  Here is the Orthodox view on fasting, specifically the fast for Easter (Pascha).  It is slightly different for different branches of the Orthodox faith but this is a concise overview.

Calendar week prior to Lent:  No animal products other than eggs and dairy
All weeks of Lent other than Holy Week : on weekdays no meat, no fish other than shellfish, no eggs, no dairy, no oil and no alcohol.  On weekends, you can have oil and alcohol. 
Holy Week:  same restrictions as other weeks, except you can have oil and alcohol on the evening of Holy Thursday.  No food is to be eaten at all from Thursday evening to Sunday after the liturgy.

I don't personally know many people who follow these rules other than parish priests and their families. DH has tried in the past and only gotten through it one year in his youth.

I couldn't imagine going 2.5 days without eating anything.  I didn't even make it for all of Ash Wednesday this year.  I overconsumed the amount of caffeinated beverages I usually have so having an emptier stomach than usual so I started feeling ill by around 7:30pm.  I ended up needing to eat something additionally by the time I got home

MissRose

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 08:57:31 AM »
As a Roman Catholic, I ate 3 small meals on Ash Wednesday (all meatless) and will do so on Good Friday.  I could not do a full on fast for a day or so as I will get a migraine and be irritable.  Fridays of course are meatless during Lent.   If your health permits it, we are to follow the restrictions.  Not all people seek dispensations if they have a health or occupational reason from the Lenten foods from their priest.  I also read some where if you go to a banquet, and the only option is meat, we are allowed to eat it as to not offend the host/hostess then do a meatless day the next day and/or do an extra penitential activity.  I know that certain things are for certain ages but even before I was 14, my mother ensured we do the meatless Fridays during Lent (and I am sure she is not the only parent who has done so with children under age 14).

katycoo

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 07:18:50 PM »
As a Roman Catholic, I ate 3 small meals on Ash Wednesday (all meatless) and will do so on Good Friday.  I could not do a full on fast for a day or so as I will get a migraine and be irritable.  Fridays of course are meatless during Lent.   If your health permits it, we are to follow the restrictions.  Not all people seek dispensations if they have a health or occupational reason from the Lenten foods from their priest.  I also read some where if you go to a banquet, and the only option is meat, we are allowed to eat it as to not offend the host/hostess then do a meatless day the next day and/or do an extra penitential activity.  I know that certain things are for certain ages but even before I was 14, my mother ensured we do the meatless Fridays during Lent (and I am sure she is not the only parent who has done so with children under age 14).

Can I ask what your church teaches about why you must undertake these restrictions?

Jocelyn

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2015, 07:57:10 PM »
I think meatless-ness was more of a sacrifice in the days when meat was a rare treat, so that if you gave it up on Friday you might not be able to eat meat again for awhile.
Personally, I love fish, seafood, egg, and cheese dishes, so I can't really feel like I'm making a sacrifice if I eat those things instead. Actually, it's more of a sacrifice to have to keep track of what day it is when I'm planning meals. :) So that's not one of the traditions that I keep.