News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 27, 2015, 04:56:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: On Traveling Alone  (Read 1253 times)

DavidH

Re: On Traveling Alone
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 10:50:16 AM »
The parks you are planning are stunningly beautiful and it sounds like a great trip.  The weather, particularly in the summer can be HOT, and even what should be a moderate hike can be very challenging when it's over 100 out.  As others have said, you can't rely on cell service in the parks.  If you go, I'd make sure you have planned an itinerary and checked in at the ranger station before all but the shortest hikes.  I'd also recommend sticking to the more popular trails and avoiding the back country if you're alone.  The worry for me, would be getting hurt in a place where you wouldn't quickly or easily be found, rather than anything else.

I'd go, but plan a bit more carefully than you might otherwise.  For example, bring extra water and maybe carry a small pack with some food and extra clothing so that if you got hurt and had to wait a few hours or overnight for someone to find you, you'd be okay.  Even on a hike of an hour or two, if you're hurt at the far end of the trial, it may take a while for someone to realize you're not where you should be and to find you. 

If you're driving in remote areas, make sure you have extra drinking water in your car in case you have a breakdown and were stranded for hours of overnight.

There's no reason not to go, just plan and make sure someone knows where you'll be and when you're expected back so that they'll know if you aren't back on time.  I've found the rangers in the parks great and they can offer great suggestions for hikes and other activities. 

knitwicca

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 11:17:56 AM »
The parks you are planning are stunningly beautiful and it sounds like a great trip.  The weather, particularly in the summer can be HOT, and even what should be a moderate hike can be very challenging when it's over 100 out.  As others have said, you can't rely on cell service in the parks.  If you go, I'd make sure you have planned an itinerary and checked in at the ranger station before all but the shortest hikes.  I'd also recommend sticking to the more popular trails and avoiding the back country if you're alone.  The worry for me, would be getting hurt in a place where you wouldn't quickly or easily be found, rather than anything else.

I'd go, but plan a bit more carefully than you might otherwise.  For example, bring extra water and maybe carry a small pack with some food and extra clothing so that if you got hurt and had to wait a few hours or overnight for someone to find you, you'd be okay.  Even on a hike of an hour or two, if you're hurt at the far end of the trial, it may take a while for someone to realize you're not where you should be and to find you. 

If you're driving in remote areas, make sure you have extra drinking water in your car in case you have a breakdown and were stranded for hours of overnight.

There's no reason not to go, just plan and make sure someone knows where you'll be and when you're expected back so that they'll know if you aren't back on time.  I've found the rangers in the parks great and they can offer great suggestions for hikes and other activities.

I strongly encourage you to go. There are lots of very good suggestions here ^^^ as well as from some of the other responses.
One thing I never travel without (there is one in my car console right now) is an emergency blanket like this one.  http://www.rei.com/product/407104/space-emergency-blanket
It is water proof, will conserve body heat or be used as a source for shade, highly reflective and will fit in your pocket.

Water, a hat, snacks and checking with the rangers are all important.

FTR, I have not hiked the areas you are proposing. Most of my hiking has been in the Cascades and in the Smoky mountains.

TabathasGran

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 11:51:26 AM »
I travel alone frequently for business and find it enjoyable.  I might be a fraidy cat, but I don't hike alone.
I have no problem with going with a group and being the lone person that knows no one else, but I am not comfortable on a trail with limited cell service by myself, even the trails within driving distance from my house. 

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 12:03:59 PM »
Too old? Too old? Seriously???? You are absolutely not too old to go hiking and have fun! Heck, my 76 year old father is hiking at one of our state parks even as I type this! There is no such thing as too old, as long as you are fit enough to handle the terrain. My agreement wtih Dad is that he must let me know which park he is at and do the safety things---checking in with rangers, etc.

So, please erase the notion that you are too old to do anything you want to do (except audition for American Idol. You are too old for that  ;))  Go, hike, have a wonderful time!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

oogyda

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »
GO. 

That's all....just go.  I'm not too far behind you in age and I love to travel by myself! 

It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

SplishFish

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 02:20:52 PM »
I went to that part of Utah a few years ago and it was wonderful. (I want to go again!) I'm not much of a hiker, but I drove all over:

Tell people your itinerary. I would suggest both texting your DH/someone back home and leaving a note at the hotel.

There is a whole lot of nuthin in some places, even on the interstate. Always keep your gas tank half full. Pay attention to the space between towns/rest areas.
Corollary: Take some extra food and water with you for snacks. You can't always find a town when you're hungry.

Take a GPS or rent one with the car. Cell service can be unreliable but a stand-alone GPS should work all of the time.
Corollary: Take a good paper map as backup to the electronics. A few years ago you could get one from the Utah dept of tourism either for free or the cost of  shipping/handling.

Take a camera and plenty of memory cards. The views are amazing!
Tip: When in parks, I like to take pictures of the info signs. It helps mark and organize the photos later (was this Arches or Canyonlands?), plus I like to read the info later when looking at the photos.
Tip 2: Keep a notebook of where you went every day to keep track of your photos.

Pick up some tourist info/booklets. I stayed in Moab and found a booklet of one-day auto tours for the area. Did every one in the book (plus a few more!).

Rent a car from a national line with a help desk. My car got some bad gas and wouldn't run well; Hertz send a new one out to me the next day.

Sunblock!

One thing I realized from the little hiking I did: It's often easier to climb up a rock than get down safely without turning an ankle or knee the wrong way.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 09:48:23 PM »
Oh, I envy you!  I *love* going to Southern Utah; I even seriously considered applying to Southern Utah University.  I haven't been there in years (2000).  DH offered to have us go this summer because two of my favorite plays are being performed at the Utah Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City ("Taming of the Shrew" and "Charley's Aunt"), but we really can't afford it  :'(.  Furthermore, my favorite Festival actor (who's also a co-director of the Festival) is playing Petruchio and his wife is playing Katharina (Brian Vaughn; I first saw him as the lead in "Charley's Aunt" when he was a young actor and thought he was brilliant).  Thirdly, I think they're demolishing the Adams Theatre after this summer so I wanted to see it one more time before it's gone (their replica of the Old Globe).  Yeah, I loved it there.  So, if you're into Shakespeare, totally try to take in a play or two.  There was a delightful Shakespeare-themed store near the festival.  I don't know if it's still there, but it was very cute.  There was also an Elizabethan-/Renaissance-themed restaurant there called "Adriana's" or something like that.  I think it used to be a house.  I thought it quite neat back then.

The last two times I went to Southern Utah, I went by myself (couldn't get the guy I was seeing to go with me and I didn't want to miss going so I went by myself...in secret -- yeah, that was the only part I shouldn't have done).  Anyway, I drove through Bryce Canyon, which is always beautiful and vowed I'd be in better shape when I returned so I could hike it instead (still hasn't happened).  Had dinner at their, at the time, popular restaurant at the top of the mountain (there was some berry pie they were known for so I had a piece; I think it was okay).

Bring some cool weather clothes, too, just in case.  The only times I went to Southern Utah was in the summer and, twice, there was a lot of snow on the mountains (and it was cold where there was snow); I have pictures I took of the view with the snow around (I was just so surprised to see the snow the first time as it was July).

lisastitch

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 10:01:21 PM »
I agree:  GO!
You have lots of great suggestions on here.  The one thing I would add is to carry your phone, even if you don't have service.  In the unlikely event of getting lost, my understanding is that the signal can get picked up to help someone locate you. 
And let us know how it goes.  It sounds like a great trip!
I'm in your age range, and just got back from a four day backpacking trip in the high Sierras.  It was wonderful!

NFPwife

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 07:56:34 AM »
I agree:  GO!
You have lots of great suggestions on here.  The one thing I would add is to carry your phone, even if you don't have service.  In the unlikely event of getting lost, my understanding is that the signal can get picked up to help someone locate you. 
And let us know how it goes.  It sounds like a great trip!
I'm in your age range, and just got back from a four day backpacking trip in the high Sierras.  It was wonderful!

Agree about the phone. In my experience, even when there isn't service, there's still GPS. Several of my hiking apps run on GPS. (Although that runs the battery down so having an extra battery or and a solar charger is a good idea.)

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 11:16:17 AM »
I've been to SLC/Park City many times, but I took a trip to Southern Utah in late June this year.  It was beautiful.  If you like brunch foods, there is an excellent place in downtown St. George.  Send me a PM if you'd like some more info on it. 
I'll get there.  Eventually.

wheeitsme

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 11:23:32 AM »
Go!  Get back your solo mojo!  ;)

The only thing (as others have pointed out) is to make sure that when you hike folks know where you are going and when you should be back.  But that's part of solo mojo.

Have fun! ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 11:31:10 AM »
Boldly go! I POD much of the PP advice, especially having lots of extra water in the car, extra clothes, a small towel in your pack, a few protein bars.

Additional, try to start your hikes no later than 10 AM and not during 12-2 PM, which is often the hottest time. Plan your afternoon hikes so you are out and to your vehicle an hour before sunset.