News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 02, 2015, 08:09:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 120093 times)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #885 on: December 05, 2014, 04:38:46 PM »
A local thrift store here has nicer items - it's a fundraiser for a local hospice. They are closed the Friday after Thanksgiving, but have a 75% off sale on that Saturday. DH and I went - he found a suit jacket on the $1.00 rack - fits him nicely - so he got it for .75!  I found a pretty wool jacket, sort of a dark periwnkle blue. Original price was $30, so I got it for $7.50. Got a nice red knit shirt with embellishments for $5, I think.
According to my calculations, DH should have paid 25 cents for that jacket, not 75 cents, since it was 75% off.  You should go back and demand your 50 cents! >:D

LOL! You're correct - we did only pay .25.  I was just so excited to tell you about it, I got all mixed up.  good eye!

Elisabunny

« Reply #886 on: December 07, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »
Not a single trip, but in the past year I have accumulated an ankle-length gored taffeta skirt, a white embroidered blouse, and a black velvet jacket with lots of crocheted lace (rather Victorian looking).  I now have a beautiful, unique, church outfit for the Christmas season, that cost no more than $20.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #887 on: December 08, 2014, 10:21:12 AM »
Not thrift buys, but bargains.

DS - desperately needs a nice jacket for the colder months. Found a Free Country jacket that is regularly $100 for $30. It is very nice, seems to be well made.

I managed to destroy my only pair of black loafers (the sole is disintegrating) and I found a pair of nice shoes in my size that were black leather for $45, regularly priced $112.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #888 on: December 12, 2014, 06:15:40 PM »
I didn't buy this, but it was certainly remarkable. "Holy *expletive*!" I remarked.

It is the policy of the United States Navy to neither confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear weapons aboard its vessels.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #889 on: December 16, 2014, 04:45:40 PM »
I visited a local liquor store to pick up a hostess gift.  A large number of very nice Old-Fashioned glasses was on the counter.  The employees said that they were getting rid of these and that I could have as many as I wanted for free. 

The glasses are the sort Mr. Thipu likes for his after dinner bourbon.  They have good, heavy bases and a tasteful bit of gold decoration.  Because the glasses were promotional items they bear the initial letter of the company.  Wonder of wonders, the initial is the same as Mr. Thipu's. 

The glasses will make a nice little extra gift for him. 

gmatoy

« Reply #890 on: December 16, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »
I visited a local liquor store to pick up a hostess gift.  A large number of very nice Old-Fashioned glasses was on the counter.  The employees said that they were getting rid of these and that I could have as many as I wanted for free. 

The glasses are the sort Mr. Thipu likes for his after dinner bourbon.  They have good, heavy bases and a tasteful bit of gold decoration.  Because the glasses were promotional items they bear the initial letter of the company.  Wonder of wonders, the initial is the same as Mr. Thipu's. 

The glasses will make a nice little extra gift for him.
Wait, the perfect gift,  with the monogram and for free? Now, that is luck!

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #891 on: January 12, 2015, 01:43:04 AM »
Yesterday I went to my favorite Goodwill for half off day. The craft/sewing wall was exceptionally well stocked, and I found several cute patterns. But my big score was the zippers. I bought 8 bags of zippers for a dollar a piece. I ended up with 107 zippers ranging from tiny 5" to 30" parka zippers. There are heavy duty zippers zippers for jeans, parka zippers, and so many standard 9-20" regular and invisible zippers. I paid a whopping $8.

I had them all laid out on the table, sorted by size, type and color. I was cackling in glee over my new horde and DH looked at me with his "I've married a crazy woman" expression. He wears that one a lot, unfortunately
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

nayberry

« Reply #892 on: January 12, 2015, 06:02:17 AM »
Yesterday I went to my favorite Goodwill for half off day. The craft/sewing wall was exceptionally well stocked, and I found several cute patterns. But my big score was the zippers. I bought 8 bags of zippers for a dollar a piece. I ended up with 107 zippers ranging from tiny 5" to 30" parka zippers. There are heavy duty zippers zippers for jeans, parka zippers, and so many standard 9-20" regular and invisible zippers. I paid a whopping $8.

I had them all laid out on the table, sorted by size, type and color. I was cackling in glee over my new horde and DH looked at me with his "I've married a crazy woman" expression. He wears that one a lot, unfortunately

i would have cackled too!

not so much thrifted but i got a fab bargain,  i needed another fleecy top (like a hole in the head ;) )and in the sales i got one for 3!  yes a whole 3!  i do love primark!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #893 on: January 12, 2015, 09:15:21 AM »
I got tired of having a black hoodie and a black jacket.  The Goodwill had a turquoise hoodie with Eyore (from Winnie the Pooh) on it - I'm cozy and casual (but highly visible) now.

My twenty-three (or so) year old black wool tuxedo coat is in good shape, but has shrunk in length with over twenty years of cleaning (and I'm no longer a size 16) - so, off to the Salvation Army last week.  A plain black wool double breasted coat that fits for $30 - but it's senior day, so I got it for 50% off.  Brand new, apparently, based on a label basted on one sleeve saying "woman" that came off quickly once I got it home.

The local area has had some record low temperatures recently, so I really needed a new coat that fit - it has been worn three times with my wool & silk Pashmina as a scarf.  I was warm...even if it looked like I was dressed for Michigan and not Houston...I'm hypothyroid and I chill easily.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:44:36 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

sylviatexas

« Reply #894 on: January 12, 2015, 10:51:52 AM »
My old Croc knock-offs absolutely bit the dust.

found 3 pairs of them at the thrift store for $1 each!

True, they're blue, pink, & pink with orange, but they were $1 each!

Emmy

« Reply #895 on: January 13, 2015, 12:11:41 AM »
I went to the local thrift store to shop with my SILs over the holidays. 

I got a set of 12 Christmas decorated tea cups (1 was cracked), 12 saucers, and 12 dessert plates for just over $4.

I got 3 blazers, 2 pairs of Gap dress pants, 2 sweaters, an Izod jacket for my 3 yo DD, and 4 other tops for $37.

I've started buying games at the thrift store too, they usually run about $2-3 and have all been in very good condition with everything included.

dawnfire

« Reply #896 on: January 13, 2015, 03:28:13 AM »
I got a ps2 free from facebook. (look for the buy,sell and barter groups)

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #897 on: February 21, 2015, 08:54:31 PM »
My daughter's been wanting a edar chest and I found one at the Goodwill for $50! It's 3/4 solid cedar and all the hardware is in great shape.
We just applied some rejuvenating cedar oil to the unfinished innards and it just soaked it up!

dawnfire

« Reply #898 on: February 21, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »
a kids legionnaire's hat for free