Author Topic: green smoothies!  (Read 221 times)

Zizi-K

green smoothies!
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:26:10 AM »
I just got a Vitamix for my birthday, and I've been wanting to try green smoothies. I was introduced to them a couple of weeks ago, and I could not believe how good they tasted (and how you really don't taste the greens). Does anybody have a favorite recipe? I've only had them with water/ice, but how do they taste with soy or almond milk? Any other tips?

alkira6

Re: green smoothies!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »
3 kiwi, peeled
1 mango, about 1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
1/2 cup sliced peaches
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 big handfuls of spinach
1 small green apple, cored
ice to taste.

Blend everything together until smooth. Add ice until it is as smoothie like as you want.  I sometimes add half a banana for added thickness.  *Warning- this looks completely gross but tastes oh so good.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:44:04 AM »
I bought a blendtec in the fall and have loved making green smothies. I'll share mine if you share what you've tried.

Basic one I love
Enough cranberry juice to cover the blades
1/4 of a sliced frozen banana
2 handfulls of fresh spinach
Process till smooth. Add ice if you don't have frozen bananas

Yogurt smoothie
3 tb yogurt
fresh or frozen cherries (3 or 4)
couple of handfuls of kale
Ice to get your preferred consistency

This I pulled off of RealSimple that I like but I don't often had the frozen mango on hand.
Collard greens and Mango
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 cups stemmed and chopped collard greens or spinach
    1 1/2 cups frozen mango
    1 cup green grapes
Process and add water as desired.

And this I got from this website http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7956/5-delicious-green-smoothies-for-beginners.html
and really like it when I have coconut water. It was also my DD's favorite when she was home from college.
3. Tropical Cleanse
1 cup frozen or fresh pineapple
1 small to medium banana (ripe and peeled)                                                                                   
1 inch piece of ginger
2 handfuls of spinach
1 cup water or coconut water (unpasteurized)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:53:20 AM »
My favorite smoothy is - (makes two large glasses)
1C plain yogurt
1C frozen cherries
1/2C coconut milk (because I add a scoop of vanilla protein powder, without that you can use less liquid)
tall glass of ice
splash of vanilla

After we got our vitamix DH started adding kale or spinach and I was amazed how you couldn't taste it at all. He likes veggie drinks so he does (if I recall) cucumber, tomato, avocado and greens. I'm not sure in what amounts because I can't stand the stuff. If that interests you I'll ask him.

Zizi-K

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 02:05:01 PM »
Thanks, all of these sound delicious!

JenJay, I hadn't considered an all-veggie juice, but I do like bloody marys and spicy tomato juice and that kind of thing, so I'm intrigued. What kind of tomatoes does he used, canned? Does he salt and pepper them, or add any spice?