News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 31, 2015, 11:41:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Tales of "Eating the Cost" after Vendor Mistakes  (Read 14526 times)

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
Re: S/O Tales of "Eating the Cost" after Vendor Mistakes
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2015, 10:53:52 AM »
Same problem here.  I have also wondered why Chinese takeout places routinely put sweet duck sauce in orders and not the red hot sauce or the hot mustard.  I always have to ask for those.

Because if a little kid eats something really spicy unknowingly, those of us working in the restaurant have to deal with the screaming phone calls from the parents.

Not that that every happened when I was working at a delivery place that had a red pepper flake option. And not that it happened more than once a week, oh no. We had to always err on the side of caution with spicy, because it's easier to add spice to something bland than to take away the spice from the customer (or their kid) whose mouth is burning.

After reading this I have to share.  :D

When oldest child was eating table foods very well but not really talking, so somewhere around 18 months old we went to a Thai restaurant. She loved all things noodles so we gave her a small taste of Pad Thai and she loved it. We gave her a dish and she was shoving in the noodles with both hands. Then she started to cry. after consoling her and not finding a reason for the crying, she started eating the noodles again. Then she started to cry. Repeat a few time before the light bulb moment that the spicy noodles were hurting her mouth. So we took away then noodles from her. Then she really started to cry! She loved the noodles. we got another order with no hot spice and she continues to eat them with both hands again.

We didn't blame the restaurant, we blamed ourselves for not realizing it sooner.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Tales of "Eating the Cost" after Vendor Mistakes
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2015, 11:17:07 AM »
We had something similar happen with Nephew's Daughter when they visited a few years ago.  We went out to a Middle Eastern place and the 5 year-old little girl ordered fries with her falafel and salad  The waiter brought two squeeze bottles of sauce.  One was white (tahini) and the other was red (Harissa).  Thinking the red bottle was the ketchup she was used to using, the little girl liberally slathered it on her fries while the adults were chatting.   

Oh, the response!  It was a good thing that many of the adults who ordered fries liked spicy food.  It was easy to transfer untainted fries to the little girl's plate and secure her some proper ketchup.

There must have been other problems of this nature because the restaurant now puts a white squeeze bottle of tahini and a glass bottle of hot sauce on the table.